Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2011, 20:30   #46

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Florida Dock Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well considering you pay $600/month in FL for a non floating dock vs double or triple that in the northeast for a floating dock I think the minor hassle of rigging a fender board is worth the difference.

I spent 2009 in RI and CT but on a mooring or at anchor. Was getting ready to head south and meeting crew at the airport so thought it would be nice to get a slip and a room for a couple of days for departure planning. Best deal I could find for a slip was $135/night. For a slip. Just a place to tie my dock lines. For $100/night I had a hotel with HBO and a minibar.

Bottom line, I'll take FL rates and non floating docks any day.

That $600/month by the way would not be in south FL or around any of the high falutin tourist towns. In fact, I am looking at dock space in north FL for $400/month with electric included for a 42' boat and don't care that the docks don't float.

No I'm not telling where because it's a small marina and only have a couple of slips left and I want one for me when I launch this winter.
I know where it ississ! Race you!

Oh hell, I won't be leaving Hampton till Dec 23rd. Gottta go to my second Choice., $450/mt for a 34', but the docks float.
Old 18-11-2011, 21:45   #47

[QUOTE=Rakuflames;821269]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

So tell me about getting into Crow's Nest -- does it help to go in with a rising tide and leave with a falling tide?
Slack tide.. personally if you go around the corner to the south, hug the docks you can slide into the backside of the anchorage and be in deep water and safely tucked away and not spend money on a slip. Take the dingy and have a meal and be away from the bar in the quietness of the anchorage..
The inlet there has a wicked tidal flow both in and out.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 21:47   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My fender boards are sooo simple -- two pieces of pvc pipes with caps on them, holes drilled for the lines. They each lay against two vertically hung fenders.

They're all on clips that make them easy to reposition as needed. They cost next to nothing, and don't weigh much, so they're easy to stow away when not needed.
Interesting, never thought of that idea... how well have they held up.. over how long.? YOu are docked??
Old 18-11-2011, 21:49   #49

What I hated when I was up on the Chesapeake speaking of the original comment about pricing.. they wanted me to pay for a yr upfront and if I left halfway thru I still lost the money. Difficult to find a monthly marina. When I did it was crappy.
Old 18-11-2011, 22:44   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Everybody knows New Yorkers and Canadians dont have no guns,even Bubba knows that..
Really? Make sure you don't confuse those Toronto/Montreal boys and girls to the ones from Bumpfuggle, Newfoundland or Armpititis, Alberta.

They own, and better yet, know how to use their guns.

But on the other hand, yeah, if their from Toronto/Montreal, fire away!
Old 19-11-2011, 07:08   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Really? Make sure you don't confuse those Toronto/Montreal boys and girls to the ones from Bumpfuggle, Newfoundland or Armpititis, Alberta.

They own, and better yet, know how to use their guns.

But on the other hand, yeah, if their from Toronto/Montreal, fire away!
I guess you can find good old rednecks everywhere(Redneck:the redneck is typical among hard working farmers that when they remove their shrit after a hard days work the redneck becomes apparent) ..becoming an endangered species though..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 07:26   #52

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

The last I heard California doesnt have any money.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 07:58   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I know where it ississ! Race you!

Oh hell, I won't be leaving Hampton till Dec 23rd. Gottta go to my second Choice., $450/mt for a 34', but the docks float.
Well I am closer but you have the advantage, your boat is actually floating.

Give me another 2-3 months and throw down the gauntlet again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 08:08   #54
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

[QUOTE=bella;821291]
Quote:

Slack tide.. personally if you go around the corner to the south, hug the docks you can slide into the backside of the anchorage and be in deep water and safely tucked away and not spend money on a slip. Take the dingy and have a meal and be away from the bar in the quietness of the anchorage..
The inlet there has a wicked tidal flow both in and out.

I much prefer to be at a dock. I have a minor coordination issue with my legs that can become major climbing in and out of a dinghy. So any tips aout actually getting into the marina would be welcome.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 08:12   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Interesting, never thought of that idea... how well have they held up.. over how long.? YOu are docked??

Yes. I am a marina live-aboard. As I just said in another post, I have a coordination problem with my legs that is quite minor for sailing but can really become an issue getting into and out of a dinghy. Even though my dinghy is extremely stable, I try to avoid using it.

The pvc is round and very strong for its size. I haven't tested it in a major storm, but I don't need it in my slip, and haven't been tied up at another marina in a storm, so I don't know its limits. Might be good to have stouter boards for a big blow, but they can be on clips also.

In my slip, I have my lines set so the boat comes close to the finger dock and pilings without touching. Enough to get safely on and off, but no pressure on anything.

Right now I'm at a transient dock and can only tie up on one side, so the pvc is out, but we're not expecting any extreme weather.
Old 19-11-2011, 08:54   #56

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

I'll apologize in advance if I missed something cause I didn't read the whole post but our 40' X 24' cat is tied to real nice floating docks, includes power and water, liveaboard, dockmaster is easy going and the rest of those "in the hood" are close knit and helpful and it's inland on a canal 7 or 8 miles in SW Florida with no height restrictions for around $400. / month. Deeper drafts have to take advantage of high tide but so what.
Florida's best kept secret perhaps?
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 09:37   #57

[QUOTE=Rakuflames;821472]
Quote:

I much prefer to be at a dock. I have a minor coordination issue with my legs that can become major climbing in and out of a dinghy. So any tips aout actually getting into the marina would be welcome.
Sorry to hear that... yeah the tidal flow rip roars thru there..
YOU can always call BoatUS for "local knowledge" or call ahead to the marina itself and ask for any tips...
Old 19-11-2011, 09:43   #58

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
My fender boards are sooo simple -- two pieces of pvc pipes with caps on them, holes drilled for the lines. They each lay against two vertically hung fenders.

They're all on clips that make them easy to reposition as needed. They cost next to nothing, and don't weigh much, so they're easy to stow away when not needed.

Mine are 2x10s hung the same way.

PVC (if it doesn't crack or flex too much) sounds good and lighter too.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:48   #59
cruiser

[QUOTE=bella;821538]
Quote:

Sorry to hear that... yeah the tidal flow rip roars thru there..
YOU can always call BoatUS for "local knowledge" or call ahead to the marina itself and ask for any tips...

That's a good suggestion. Thank you.
Old 19-11-2011, 14:44   #60
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
My point exactly. It's what you get for the money you spend. If I was buying a house in Florida I would be laughing and saying what a streal I got. It is a buyers market. It is not a buyers market for a slip.
Comparing this marina to any marina in Florida is apples, and oranges. Hang aroun during cane season, and you will see.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida