Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 16:23   #46

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Flat Earth Debate

My argument against the flat earth theory that no one has ever convinced me otherwise, is that "If the Earth is flat, where on the internet are the pictures of Russians taking selfies while holding on the edge of it with one hand?"

However, I do like this explanation of dinosaur extinction:

Also on the topic of Dinosaur extinction I like this observation as well:

On a more serious note, if you consider these people may have undiagnosed cognitive and perception issues it may make it easier to consider or understand that it is simply a manifestation of their brain trying comprehend and understand their world around them.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:34   #47

Boat: Hunter 38

lol anyone who uses the bible as the basis for any sort of logical discussion immediately abdicates any pretense of being a sensible human being. just use it to level wobbly tables.

we have a famous photograph taken by michael collins of the eagle on ascent that shows the earth as an oblate spheroid (and incidentally includes every single human being living or dead as of the time of the picture, except 1, which I think its pretty cool).

even if you claim that photo really shows a disk, when you compared it to all the other "disk" pictures taken from space, clearly the continents move around at such a frantic rate we'd explode.

the problem with the flat earth "hypothesis" and other silly supernatural humbug is that it's not really a hypothesis. In order to be a hypothesis it needs to be falsifiable. well, flat earth is really easily falsifiable, but others aren't. flat earth is really a conspiracy theory not an "alternate hypothesis".

that said, when bored and in our cups, it IS sometimes fun to try and defend an obviously silly position, or do other silly things. Try talking like Dr. Seuss for a day lol
Old 01-10-2021, 16:35   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yeah... in your neck of the woods it should be measured in decimetres per day.

More like kilograms per cubit!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-10-2021, 16:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
What I do find intriguing however (you gonna love this Mike Oreilly), is the hollow earth theory
Look up the Crustal Displacement Theory, long derided. I just read a peer reviewed article (which I can't find now dammit) that basically said the same thing with saying "crustal displacement" and was, well, at least not laughed at.

Then there's the Piri Reis map showing Antarctica without the ice? hmmmmm
Old 01-10-2021, 16:47   #50

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
On a recent sail my buddies and I were debating the flat earth theories. We don't have this belief but we were discussing the possible basis or beliefs that are relied on by that those who do.

It was a fun discussion. I am not judgemental about those who hold this belief, but as a mental exercise, we were trying to argue from a flat earther's point of view.... you know how passage conversations go, you have plenty of time and a captive audience, so why not?

Yesterday I ran into a fellow who actually is a firm believer in the Flat Earth. While a lot of his beliefs come from historical texts and biblical writings, which he happily brought up on his computer, he also pointed out that there are no flights over Antarctica and had some suspicions about the treaty many countries signed over ownership and military bases on that continent.

The best fun fact was pulling up the United Nations flag which conspicuously shows all the continents but Antarctica. I didn't see that one coming...

I asked him about the offer that 747 pilot Kelsy made on his 74gear's YouTube Channel to fly a group of Flat Earthers anywhere they wanted to go. All they would have to do is charter the airplane, he would be the pilot and they could have an adventure together.

Apparently another YouTube channel called Baby Truthers tried to accept Kelsy's offer but he sort of backpedaled and nothing came of it. https://www.thedailyplane.com/clip-t...rth-challenge/

My new friend also told me that nobody is allowed to go South of 60 degrees South, which is why there are no commercial flights over the South Pole. He asserted that you cannot get permission to go to Antarctica. I thought this would be easy to dispute, so I spent some time on the internet looking for anything that would describe any restrictions or for that matter, who the governing authority is for Antarctica. It is not a country, so who do you report to? Is there such a thing as Customs down there?

Looking anything up on the Flat Earth theories is hard since much of it is taken down or censored on the internet. I'm not clear on whether there is supposed to be an edge down there or the wall of the dome that we are living under in this theory.

In the spirit of learning and playing with this some more, I was wondering what this group knows about going to Antarctica by plane or boat. I recall in a hazy way, reading about several individuals with aluminum boats that have sailed themselves there in the past, even wintering over, but now I can't retrace these stories.

Interesting associated side discussions involved the moon and how we only see one side of it and how perspective results in objects becoming too small to see, rather than the curvature of the earth making a far off boat drop from view.

I don't want to offend anyone either way, but rather explore something that is a rather foreign concept to me, and routinely censored on the internet. You know, see it from somebody else's point of view. I don't need feel a need to agree with the arguments, but I'd like to hear them, in part to find out why anyone would bother taking down material on the subject.

I figured starting with any restrictions on traveling there would be a start.
National Geographic and SA Expeditions go there but stay along the coast.
What say you?

It would indeed be interesting to hear how some people could justify such views, and even more interesting to know if there is a psychological profile they all have in common. FWIW I suspect it would be about the same profile as UFO believers, cult fanatics and other extremists. These are dangerous people when they can be organized into groups and led by a blowhard whom they see as a charismatic figure.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:54   #51

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As long as it does no harm (or little harm), then I say leave them alone. If we censored flat earthers we'd also have to censor all religious discussion, anything to do with ghosts, goblins and alien abductions. And we'd certainly have to cut off all the "cat playing piano" videos ... how sad would that be?
Why should _any_ harm be tolerated? If youtube would step up and ban all flat earth we could help so many people avoid confusion.

Lives have already been lost over the flat-earth debate, and in the future many more will perish. Probably innocent children could be saved but we need to act now!

Imagine a parent strapping their child to a balloon filled with hydrogen to "prove" the earth is flat only to have the balloon get sucked into the intake of an aircraft jet engine killing hundreds!

And cat playing piano also is fake so must be banned from youtube. Otherwise they are biased for banning some fake things and not all fake things.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:54   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
It would indeed be interesting to hear how some people could justify such views, and even more interesting to know if there is a psychological profile they all have in common. FWIW I suspect it would be about the same profile as UFO believers, cult fanatics and other extremists. These are dangerous people when they can be organized into groups and led by a charismatic figure.
Agreed. I think if you're a flat earther, there's a good chance you also ascribe to a number of fringe ideas or conspiracy theories.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Both my wife and I are engineers who have worked for NASA (that's where we met) and we both have hardware that we designed that is currently on the ISS.
Do you know Paul Dye? Knew him years ago flying Grummans and most recently Vans. Cool guy but probably wouldn't remember me (I'm not that cool).
Old 01-10-2021, 17:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Haha these people crack me up. People are stupid, and there is proof of that every day.

Ask one of these jokers where the edge is. If the earth is flat, there must be an edge, right? Where the hell is it? Take a ride on a boat or plane or space ship and report back where it is, please. And let's see some pictures while you're at it.
There's a really fun couple of short stories by Larry Niven (I think) about a kingdom set on the edge of a flat planet.
Old 01-10-2021, 17:22   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
You’re right Paul- but I think this is changing. In my daily business I hire 4-6 engineering co-op students a semester; and they all come in fluent in SI primarily. Those who have worked in local industry or construction are versant in both SI and SAE/imperial- but they are in the minority now.
I cut my teeth with Whitworth too! Luckily (or unluckily depending on POV not old English cars or bikes any more)
Old 01-10-2021, 17:26   #56

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Why should _any_ harm be tolerated? If youtube would step up and ban all flat earth we could help so many people avoid confusion.

Lives have already been lost over the flat-earth debate, and in the future many more will perish. Probably innocent children could be saved but we need to act now!

Imagine a parent strapping their child to a balloon filled with hydrogen to "prove" the earth is flat only to have the balloon get sucked into the intake of an aircraft jet engine killing hundreds!

And cat playing piano also is fake so must be banned from youtube. Otherwise they are biased for banning some fake things and not all fake things.

Old 01-10-2021, 17:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Why not?

The Constitution implies that everyone has a right to an opinion, but if the support is flimsy on not based on a full reasoning and reproducible evidence, I am NOT required to respect the content of that opinion or the intelligence of the person holding it.
I agree. Unfortunately today there is this cockeyed belief that we should "respect a persons deeply held beliefs", which is utter balls.

ALL beliefs no matter how deeply/sincerely held should be subject to criticism and scrutiny and, if found wanting, pointed at and laughed about. That includes mine of course.

Unfortunately in many places, the US is one, there's apparently some special carve out if they are "sincerely held".
Old 01-10-2021, 17:28   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Qantas still do flights over Antarctica. Just stopped for COVID. You can do it next year. You can also cruise to the Antarctic on multiple different cruise boats. Kind of screws the whole flat earth theory.

Personally I always thought being a flat earther was about demonstrating that you were anti establishment. I didn’t realise people actually believe it.
Old 01-10-2021, 17:42   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

by that definition...a soccer ball should be disc...as does a tennis ball...baseball.....golfball...etc..

what happens to the ocean's water as it spills over the edge of the flat planet..???? where does it go....how does the ocean replenish it's water..????

what about all the fish and other denizens of the deep....do they also go over the edge..???

enquiring minds want to know...???
Old 01-10-2021, 18:08   #60

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I said this before, I met a man who was sailing around the world and was a firm flat Earther. He seemed to be an otherwise intelligent guy, although these two statuses should contradict each other.