Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2019, 06:45   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Good for him! He felt that he was in a threatening situation and he handled it and protected his crew.

Seems like some of the audience here were disappointed that it wasn’t as exciting as a Schwarzenegger movie
Not really.. It was all played for the camera.. there is no need to sail with a shotgun sitting in the cockpit in the Adriatic.. if there was I am pretty sure we would have heard about it from Kenomac who has been cruising the area for a couple of years and pretty sure there would have been reports from folks who charter with the fleets based there.
But it will boost his YouTube audience which was his aim.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:52   #137

Re: Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Ok....so what if the pirates have AK-47s and grenade launchers. You're probably dead regardless. JMHO.

I think a lot depends on where you are. Boatie says this is in the Adriatic. (I missed that somehow). What if you were in the Sulu Sea or the Malacca Straight? Do "fishermen" there have a history of carrying AK-47s and rocket launchers? Do they have a history of letting sailors live after they board and rob you blind?

I know that certain Muslim terrorist groups in SE Asia have sophisticated weapons, but wasn't aware your local "fishermen" did.
When you're outgunned you have a better chance of surviving if unarmed, sure they might kill you anyway but doing something to guarantee it doesn't make sense. If these were in fact real pirates that have done this before waving a shotgun around when out of range as he was would only have been met with gunfire. It helps to think without the complication of testosterone.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:00   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not really.. It was all played for the camera.. there is no need to sail with a shotgun sitting in the cockpit in the Adriatic.. if there was I am pretty sure we would have heard about it from Kenomac who has been cruising the area for a couple of years and pretty sure there would have been reports from folks who charter with the fleets based there.
But it will boost his YouTube audience which was his aim.
I didn't actually see a threat here, for all one knows the fishing boat may have simply wanted to sell seafood or sell or buy fuel or just say hi. It would have been no great trick for a decent shot with almost any rifle to shoot both persons that I saw on deck with them having no effective recourse having only a shotgun.
Old 16-01-2019, 07:09   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Saleen411;2803811

I think a lot depends on where you are. Boatie says this is in the Adriatic. (I missed that somehow).
/QUOTE]

Check out the original video posted.. I think its page 4 of this thread.. #47.
Someones re titled it for effect.. likely a pro guns on boats nut..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-01-2019, 07:31   #140

[QUOTE=boatman61;2803853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411;2803811

I think a lot depends on where you are. Boatie says this is in the Adriatic. (I missed that somehow).
/QUOTE

I take it you're in the anti or no gun crowd? As am I, two years of getting shot at will do that to some people. The reality of guns and killing is vastly different than in the movies and while I want to respect others opinions I for one view having a gun onboard for defense as ludicrous. I don't really care if someone else choses to have a gun aboard I just don't want to be anywhere near them, everyone within range of firearms is at an increased risk.
Old 16-01-2019, 08:51   #141

Boat: Bristol 47.7

[QUOTE=boatman61;2803853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411;2803811

/QUOTE

According to Google Translate (Italian to English), the title says "PIRATES ATTACK IN ADRIATICA." But the description immediately below translates (poorly) as follows:

"AT THE TIMER ENZO SPINA, SKIPPER LUIGI NAVA, FILMATO DI MARTA GIANNINI. TO 150 MILLS FROM THE ISLAND OF SOCOTRA IN NAVIGATION FROM THE MALDIVES TO YEMEN"

Maybe "Adriatica" is the name of their boat, or where they're from? Looks like they were on passage between the Maldives & Yemen not far from the the island of Socotra when this occurred. It was also 2008 when such incidents were much more frequent in that part of the world.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:52   #142

Boat: Catalina 320

Shot off some rockets and roman candles while under sail one night, it's truly amazing how fast things go bad on a boat when cheap pyrotechnics are involved.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:04   #143

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

the question is why not do it? it is cheap and effective and the best advantage it is not a gun!no custom officer wil be able to spot it it look like a karcher...it is funny to read the post where the poster are safely in canada or australia...koala and grizly bear are not pirates !! by the way powerfull lasers are highly prohibited down the islands!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:09   #144

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
The worst thing that could happen to this thread is that it converts to a legit discussion of guns on board. The topic is well covered. No new information can be offered.

Be silly. Be stupid. Be creative. Please don't threadjack down that rabbit hole.
NO NO NO topic was flamme trower aboard camouflaged as karcher hull cleaner!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:30   #145

Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
I know this whole thread is tongue in cheek, but there are plenty of handheld lasers that would definitely dissuade a pirate captain from advancing their vessel from over a mile away. You had better be fearing for your life as attempting to blind someone would be a serious crime unless you could prove self defense.

Here is the Arctic 3.5W laser -

I once hung out with a guy sporting something like that attached to his binoculars. Doesn’t need a huge power supply. It was really fun for setting fire to distant paper targets. (also burned a scar on my arm- don’t drink and shoot laser beams) It would permanently blind someone at quite a distance, though, so the proper etiquette is to hold off until fired upon I believe. It would be bad form to render local fishermen sightless unless of course they were actually trying to kill you. FYI, the laser light was sort of purple, available in Thailand. (Or Amazon these days, I suppose)
FWIW
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 06:34   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I once hung out with a guy sporting something like that attached to his binoculars. Doesn’t need a huge power supply. It was really fun for setting fire to distant paper targets. (also burned a scar on my arm- don’t drink and shoot laser beams) It would permanently blind someone at quite a distance, though, so the proper etiquette is to hold off until fired upon I believe. It would be bad form to render local fishermen sightless unless of course they were actually trying to kill you. FYI, the laser light was sort of purple, available in Thailand. (Or Amazon these days, I suppose)
FWIW
Since the laser appears to be more effective on black objects, you could use it to set their pirate flag afire. That would probably get their attention and make them wonder what was going to spontaneously combust next!!!
Old 30-01-2019, 12:18   #147

How long would it take to make a pirate blind? I could see sporting a laser as a jerk deterrent. Long range, Accurate and legal. Technically non-lethal. Of course knowing myself the batteries would be dead.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 13:20   #148

Sigh.....I came over here from the other sailing forum with hopes of finding a realistic solution to pirate attacks. And what do I find.......guns, lasers, flame throwers, missiles, and bomb equipped drones. OMG peoples, lets get real here. First off, the local customs guys will take the guns or you will run out of ammo long before you hit the pirate boat so guns are out. Same with lasers, you have to hold that pinpoint on target for some time before it burst into flame. And we all know flame throwers are more likely to drip on your boat or the pirate hits the fuel tank with a tracer round, BOOM, there goes what you were trying to protect. And I'm not even going to comment on missiles, deck guns, drones with bombs. As far as I'm concerned you would have better luck launching a hot air balloon then attacking from that position. No, my solution and you won't have to donate to my goFundMe page, is to equip my boat with a kilowatt microwave transmitter hooked into the satellite antenna. The antenna is equipped with vision auto track, fully gimballed and best of all it appears to Mr. Custom Man (que Arlo Guthrie Comin' into Los Angeles song) a Netflix receiver. Ever put a shelled egg into a microwave to hard boil it? That is what will happen to the pirate's heads. Best of all, no noise, no residual gun powder traces, no physical evidence to trace back to you AND it can do double duty, receive Netflix movies.
SkipperJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 13:44   #149
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best solution.. dont go looking for pirates.

Old 30-01-2019, 14:20   #150

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

NERD ALERT and reality check. I have plenty of lasers and do things like light matches, pop balloons, and harass centipedes as you will see in a later vid. But here is a vid of a real laser built by a real person burning real stuff. As you can see it would be useless at any distance that would be useful to repel pirates, at 60 feet it would not even pop a balloon. Problem is that you don't just need to get the beam on target, you need to keep the beam on target long enough for the beam to produce enough heat to do damage.

Using a tripod on land is all fine and good but it is silly to think a tripod on a boat would not be subject to waves bouncing the boat around and also bouncing the beam around.

Bottom line is that even at 60 feet the beam would not do any real damage. And this ignores the effect of any spray from waves that would also degrade the beams energy.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote