Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 14:54   #1
cruiser

feeding time

I was gonna post in the money section but that seems to be more about financing a boat and all that sort of thing.

I have known for many years about the art of flipping domain names. I made a few bucks off it and just kinda phased out of it.

However while watching the growing panic of the corona schmorona and how merchants are reaping huge sales.. probably better than Christmas time.. I was thinking how to get in on it..

I thought at first that maybe I could buy a hazmat suit, get a sprayer with bleach in it..and start knocking on doors. But then realized for much less effort I could buy domains and flip them.

I hit it pretty good and while nearly ALL of the good .com names were gone I was able to snatch up some very good domains. covidtesting.net..covidtesting.org covid19help.me covidinfo.us

I ended up with 20 of them by the end of the night, spending less than 300 bux.

sedo.com is one of a few places to list a domain for sale/auction. As an example.. covid19shots.com (not mine) is currently listed for sale at 110K!!!

Even if you don't sell the domain outright you can still make cash off ads. There are a variety of monetizing types.. anywhere from just viewing the site to click ads to affiliate ads.

Just thought I would share a little way to earn boat or cruising money.. maybe you can do this for other projects you have going on. Passive income is great when in the middle of the Pacific!

Ive encountered many people that had absolutely NO CLUE as to how domain flipping works.. maybe someone here will find this as a way to add some income while out cruising as not everyone.. like myself doesnt get retirement money (yet) nor independently wealthy.

There is gold in every frenzy!
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 15:31   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: feeding time

Hmmm, I wonder what I could get for my domain: HelpLink.com. I've owned it since the early days (1995). It means nothing, so can mean anything. Over the years I've had many people approach me to see if I wanted to sell. So far, none have offered a sufficiently high price to make it worth me parting with it ... but I'm always open .
Old 05-03-2020, 15:36   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hmmm, I wonder what I could get for my domain: HelpLink.com. I've owned it since the early days (1995). It means nothing, so can mean anything. Over the years I've had many people approach me to see if I wanted to sell. So far, none have offered a sufficiently high price to make it worth me parting with it ... but I'm always open .
Looking at the ones on sedo.com which is only one of a few sites.. I think you would get a nice bit of coin on that. Thats a very good domain name. AND its a .com which command premiums. You would be surprised at what people are bidding on and for how much..

If I owned that I would be looking for big industry buyers on those sites... You would be able to have TWO beautiful Rafikis.. one on the East and one one the West coast!
Old 05-03-2020, 16:10   #4
cruiser

The domain "web.site" has 9 bidders and is at 750,000$$!!

You have a lottery ticket there Mike!
Old 05-03-2020, 18:31   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Good business, if you are super smart and quick. Mind you are competing with bots run on multiple i9 machines though.

I would go for numbers. Get very many. Hit one, write off the reminder. If you are lucky, you are in $$$.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 19:19   #6
cruiser

Thats kind of what I was going for.. tho 20 isn't really alot. I figured if the ones I dont flip right away I would just let ads run on them. I don't think anyone has to be super smart per se.. but being able to watch trends and to hop on them early is most important. Preparing for big events that are a year or more off...

I picked up a few overseas as well.. a couple in India and South Korea and Mexico...

I also picked up covidinfo.uk which is probably in the top few for a quick search, after covid19.uk covid-19.uk covid19info.uk covid-19info.uk..(i dont own those).

WIll trade for a nice PH!...LOL>.jk.. I am only providing the info here to inspire folks on a fairly effortless way to make some coin with a little bit of creativity and foresight. I am not here to drive traffic to anything I own.. I only published one of the sites and there is nothing there at the moment.. coronainfo.us

It did get to the point of having to put away the bank card.. you get on a roll.. and I imagine some folks have gone well out of their normal budget.. I don't gamble or even do lottery tickets.. so that rush those people get I did feel it..

The covid.mx cost me about 50 bux..it was the most expensive item, but immediately had a minimum appraisal at 500... I think it will go for a decent amount as it really is number 3 in a chain. after covid19.mx and covid-19.mx

I tried to get covid.ca for the Canada version.. it was already gone and being offered for private sale for nearly 10k..:/

I see potential in "covid19alert.me" as well....thank you montenegro!!