Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 22:38   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Norson
Do you have or have had motorcycles.. especially fast ones? How about racing?

I've been meaning to pursue this subject for years so I'll ask this mob. Seems the perfect sample so please let me know.
I never had a motorcycle. They just don't appeal to me, except for the fuel economy. (That can't make up for the lack of protection for the occupant, though.) I also don't understand why so many motorcycles are so loud -- it seems like poor engineering to me.

I also never raced (not even sailboats) and see no need for a V8 in a car.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:57   #32

Boat: C&C 27
I cringed when my neighbor unloaded an Aprilla and another road racing bike. I had been there and I knew what was next, tuning and testing up and down the street at all hours. Turned out I was wrong, Dave became a good friend and never even started his bikes unless he was at the shop or the track. I was riding one of my old Triumphs down the street and some lady on a cell phone is ten feet behind me at 30 MPH. She stayed right behind me until I began behaving like a 'one percenter'. We tailgate so much in Houston we don't realize how dangerous it is. Sitting in the cockpit with another guy and a bottle of rum we sang to the moon in a remote Bahamian anchorage. The next morning a few friendly, well chosen, words from the crew of another boat helped me realize what jerk I was. I have met the enemy and they use all types of transportation.

...always wanted a Bultaco...don't know why.... just wanted one and a MV Agusta.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:27   #33

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
My history is a bit more tame... Honda 550 4cyl, then Yamaha XS750 shaft drive bought brand new the first year they came out (1977). Was stationed in Japan at the time - had a blast flying around the twisties in the Japan Alps....

Nowadays when I need the speed rush I turn to my 1965 pontiac Tempest (poor man's GTO) 326 tri-power.... soon to be cannibalized for the sake of my 64 Lemans ragtop.

Now a note from Mr. Freud: I note that most of the go-slow sailors in this thread seem to compensate by playing with fast POWER-driven toys. Very interesting.....
Old 02-09-2006, 06:34   #34

Boat: Privilege 37
I have a BMW K100RS, I have only managed to get this up to 145 mph, and was overtaken by a chum on a blackbird as if I was standing still. Still - was fast enough for me. I have had a V8 and at the moment a straight 6, but the reactions are slowing so speed has been dropping in recent years.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21   #35

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Hot Active Topic!

To be in charge of one's destiny and not stuck in traffic.

As Kai Nui suggests, Aye believe the relationship has a lot to do with self sufficiency... and a large degree of balance.

I just rode my Beemer over to the local Yanmar dealership to purchase the correct engine oil filter for our boat. It was a glorious day in the Virgin Islands and I took the long, scenic route back home, to the marina.

Tomorrow we're going sailing.

Arrr Boy's third birthday is coming up and his grandfather just arrived from Australia to help celebrate! And he bought along a few recent copies of THE COASTAL PASSAGE. It makes my wife homesick. Good job and good on ya, Bob! Now you have distribution in the Caribbean!

You Motorheads have gotta see THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN! It's a true story of Burt Munro, a man who never let the dreams of youth fade. The film stars Sir Anthony Hopkins and a 1921 Indian Chief motorcycle. "It's Never Too Late For The Ride Of Your Life."

To Life!

Kirk

PS - Bob, how much for a foreign subscription?
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47   #36

Ok this is off topic even for the off topic forum, but the Worlds Fastest Indian stirred some childhood memories. I was a kid during this period but my dad raced out of Dalio's shop. I thought we were weird for not going to Utah, everbody else did...
http://www.ntnoa.org/Wilson.htm
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
PV - I dunno ... everyone has done a pretty good job of relating bikes and boats - even *I* see a good connection, and obviously there are a lot of ties between the two as noted by all these responses.

I was never that much into bikes - I did have a Yamahahahaha 350 R2 when I was 17. Did get to borrow an Enduro 125 and 250 ... was a bit afraid of the 360 and didn't ever try that.

Now adays, my 21 speed bike (bicycle) is just fine for me
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:22   #38
Kai Nui

Thomas, you need to ride a dirt bike or enduro just to get enough leg room One of the little Japanese street bikes would be a pocket bike for you
Old 02-09-2006, 12:26   #39
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Thomas, you need to ride a dirt bike or enduro just to get enough leg room One of the little Japanese street bikes would be a pocket bike for you
And all this time I thought it was something else bulging from my 'pocket'. :::sigh::: oh well
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 16:28   #40

Boat: 44 footer
Amazing trend.

I'm restoring a '75 Corvette... and rebuilding a '71 VW bus at the same time.

Looking to pick up a Kawasaki EX250 sometime soon...

But my passion is sailing. I'm just stuck on land a few more years...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 19:24   #41
Kai Nui

Ah, I knew I liked you. Another Mopar man
Old 03-09-2006, 00:29   #42
Bob Norson

Greetings all! Holy shiezen! this is great. the vice is even greater amongst you lot than I thought! Just put in a brutal day of production and thought I would have a little look in and hope for positive... man oh man.. so I do have to respond here.

OK, Coot. Thats cool. Nothing is for everybody.
rsn48... the air seems to have cleared a little and thanks for your insight.
Pura vida, you be an honest man.. but twisted.. Bultaco? (kidding of course)
hey markpj23 love your cars! isn't that 326 really more like a 344 or something like that. They are a good donk.

Talbot.. a ton and a half isn't too slow for one of us old guys! You've got a good Kbike!

Gallivanters... I really did work hard today on the paper, I don't do it for the money so thanks for the kind words.. mate, you don't need a subscription for a while. let me know what recent editions pops didn't have along and mail me a postal address and I'll get you currrent.
mailto:tcp@matilda.net.au sounds like you had a brilliant day.

Zach... The vette sounds good and the ex250.. I think I remember that is what was called the ninja 250... great little bike.. the trick is not to use the brakes in a turn.. just flick her over and slide both ends to shed speed.

Knottyboyz.. Kay and I were both hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!! but as a chevy guy....

Beer thirty here...

cheers
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53   #43
Bob Norson

Hey Pura vida... thanks for the link. That was a wonderful read. Geeez, I knew a few of those people mentioned, Rob north did my frames. I think he got tired of straightening my CB 1100F and the TZ I have out back still has his repair on the swing arm. Gary Nixon was in my class at the last La Carrera.. but I was a no hoper because I was a prune picker and hung around the likes of Don Vesco! But then I saw a home boy in one of the photos on the site, that was Brad Lacky, an El Cajon boy and very quick on dirt or anything..... for a prune picker of course.

I haven't seen the worlds fastst indian YET.
Old 04-09-2006, 15:55   #44

Hey Bob, Glad you liked it. That is Brad Lackey. I had missed that. I had a chat with my dad this afternoon and sent him down memory lane. He mentioned that Jack's real genius was nitro. He was one of the few guys who could make a motor hold together running that stuff and that was what it took to put a laker or drag bike on top in those days. Also he mentioned that Stormy's specific idea was the used WWII wing tank body for the streamliner. Well gotta go and start the Trump. If it doesn't start by the second kick I'll be sure to check the kill switch.
pv the (ex-)PW
Old 04-09-2006, 19:54   #45

Boat: GulfStar 43 Mk II... EAGLE
When on land, the tottler just loves the mini rice screamer (does 60) and the older one, 6, loves ripping up beach vegetation on the dunes with his big 3 wheeler.......We can't wait for Kawasaki to produce an even faster and louder jet-ski....for the kids of course!
EagleSailTwo is offline   Reply With Quote