Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well I guess I am a hard core 4wdriver. I had a Nissan Safari/GQPatrol. I get my kicks out of getting a vehicle places most others can't. I love going into bush/mountains and exploring places that few have ever been. So I guess I take the same attitude to sailing. I want to explore. Interesting, I never thought of that before.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 14:49   #62

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Norson
"You've gotta be smarter than your tools."
A variation of that I learned very early in my Navy career.. usually reinforced by a slap to the back of the head..

"You've gotta be smarter than the gear you're working with!"

Old 06-09-2006, 15:57   #63
Bob Norson

Talbot...that is a perfectly reasonable relationship.... bet ya mines faster! (kidding!!)

I had a look at the chev forum Gator, thanks, waiting for registration to complete now.

Hey
Alan.. we bought one of those CRV honda things.. and have done a bit of exploring and like it. There is alot of open country up here.

I can't work out how to get photo's on a post like Knottybouz but I took a few photos a minute ago and stuck them on a web page
http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/chevy.html

Since the boat sold we live in our factory building/toy house/publishing empire and jewelry studio... one block back from a good beach.

welcome to bob's world?!?!?

cheers
Old 06-09-2006, 17:25   #64
Bob Norson

Well.. I was right about one thing.. you gotta be smarter than your tools..

once again humiliated.. when will it ever end!
Old 07-09-2006, 16:41   #65
Bob Norson

Gator said..

"And that's what appeals to me about a lot of boats. Learn to work with wood, fiberglass and epoxy, figure out what "osmosis" is, pay homage to the Gods of Stainless Steel, and just keep fixin' what breaks!"

Well this thread got so far out back there with the lists and photos I lost track of this quote for a while.

Gator brings up another connection between boats and some bikes and cars. The feeling that they can and should be looked after, not consumed and discarded. There is a satisfaction in restoring but the object of the passion has to be worthy. A recognition that there are boats, and other machines, out there that are as good as may ever be. At least in the eys of the restorer.
Old 07-09-2006, 20:05   #66
Kai Nui

Rick, My carberated 84 camaro was the only Chevy I ever liked. No kind words for my 79 Vette.
Bob, well stated. Has to be a passion for the beast so to speak
Boats, bikes and cars also all require a hands on relationship that is unique in it's own right. Just owning any of the above is a physical activity.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08   #67
Bob Norson

Thanks Kai Nui... BTW... just made a purchase on ebay.. bought a set of 88 vette heads from a guy in arkanasas for $460.. but without valve covers.. damn!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:53   #68

Bob, that Chevelle looks sweet, what a classic! Why the need for the L98 heads, anyway - do you already have a TPI to put on top of 'em? That TPI system is a great torque-maker for a heavier car like the Chevelle, tho it tends to reduce the RPM potential some.

The paint on the Chevelle looks new - did you do it?

Boats - if there were enough room in my toy box, one thing that would be in it is one of those classic wood Chris Craft runabouts from the '50's. I can't even imagine the maintenance involved in one of those, so if I had one restored I don't know if I'd have the guts to put it in the water.
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 16:19   #69
Bob Norson

Greetings Gator81.. Thanks, we do love the old girl and try to look after her. The paint isn't new and I didn't do the whole thing but I did redo a door panel with success after a gate swung into it... the gate became history that day... Actualy my wifes car and the reason we got together.. shortest version possible.. We were talking business at a retail store I had and when I walked out to the car park I expected a pinto or vega or corrolla or something and couldn't believe she drove that old beast, V8, muncie, no power nothing. Caused me to take another look and figure there was more to this picture and sure enough there was. The car is the only one of it's kind in Australia and gets much attention when we take her out but very few know what it is. She is a carbie.. 650 holley.. the heads work best cause of the small chambers (58cc) and work with the intake manifold which was from a Nascar short track car. The motor is 383 stroker done by the master of that breed. Ed Hale was the champ in sportsman class for many years and this was one of his. Unbelievable grunt. At 1000rpm in first gear, floor it and hang on. you better have alot of road ahead cause she doesn't hook up the tires again till mid through 3rd and a chirp out of fourth. This is with a posi, 308 gears and wide sticky michilens and never over 5500 rpm. A very 'steer with the throttle' kind of car. A very fun road car that has seen a lot of Australia so far.
I find much of what I leaned from boats goes into the car and visa versa. (paint work, mechanics, attitude!)

The old Chris Crafts?/? that was my first boat yard job. My dad was a boat mechanic in minnesota and every year the people would come up from the cities to the lakes for spring, put their "speed boat" in the water and it would sink. Timber dry as a bone. I got to clean up the mess in prep for my dad to reserect the grey marine engines. they are beautiful but need special care.

Hey Rick! I know the exact car. I was the mavin and selected one used for my store manager. Identical to yours except the wheels. It was my introduction to digital everything and I didn't like that part of it. I figured when the stereo went it would be a problem but she wrecked the car before we had a chance to find out. She discovered performance driving! (with some hard lessons) She replaced the chevy with a 5.0 lt mustang GT. She also migrated to Australia and managed to sell the ford in one peice before she left!