Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2008, 21:32   #1

Family Gatherings

I went out a day early to prep camp and get a little quiet time in before the others arrived. The scattered showers turned into rain on Thursday night that did not end until about noon Saturday. We all slept in. My B-I-L drove to town to get some lumber and I went with him. On the way out of the woods we found a large black case in the middle of the road. Figuring a hunter would take it, We put it in the truck and went to town. When we came back from town, just as we turned in to the road, a small red car coming down the hill lost a hubcap. We stopped him and pointed out the hub cap. I then asked him if anyone in his party had lost anything. He knew what was in the case. Then I told him to peek in the back of the truck as I got out of ours. The man ran up and gave me a hug and called me an honest man. Precious stuff with witnesses no less!
When the rain stopped, we hung some ladder stands and hunted Saturday evening. My B-I-L, Dad, and two Nephews. When my B-I-L started yelling to wake everyone up at 5 am this morning between the bantering, it became obvious that one voice was missing. My nephew walked in to coax his Gramps out of bed.
Gramps in now hunting in different hunting grounds. Nothing he loved more in life than hunting or fishing with his grandsons. He went quietly in his sleep at hunting camp surrounded by loved ones. It was the way he always said would be the best way possible.
While the others drove out to where they could get phone reception to call 911 and family, I waited there. Just as the sun began to peek over the ridge, with the moon still high in the morning sky, Coyotes likely, but they began to howl like wolves and sang for about five minutes. It was almost as if they said farewell. I know that isn't why, but standing there it lifted my heart for a few minutes.
Still kind of reeling from the 5 AM events of this morning.
We lost the patriarch but the family is strong still. No wise thoughts to offer at this time.
I
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 01:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
... Gramps in now hunting in different hunting grounds. Nothing he loved more in life than hunting or fishing with his grandsons. He went quietly in his sleep at hunting camp surrounded by loved ones. It was the way he always said would be the best way possible...
... We lost the patriarch but the family is strong still. No wise thoughts to offer at this time.
Sounds pretty wise, to me.
Our sympathies are with you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 08:06   #3

If you were down, he would help you up.
If you got in his face, he would knock you out of it.
If you asked for the truth, he would tell it.
If every man that owes him 10$ shows up, we will need a bigger room.
If everyone he helped back on their feet over the years shows,
we will need an auditorium.
Many regrets for the many things I did not do or say,
but absolutely no regrets on who my father was!

As they lifted him out, they asked if I would help.
"He carried me", popped out of my mouth automatically.
He is the reason the man got his gear back from an, "honest man".
Thanks for a place to vent! It is a needed thing right now!.
Old 17-11-2008, 10:10   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
His Final Gift to you was a reinforcement of the qualities that made him such a loved father and mentor.

Rest assured he already knew how you felt as your words have so eloquently expressed.

Don’t worry, with a family as strong as yours, that circle will not be broken and he will live on and guide you in such memories.

Thanks for sharing!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 14:07   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
At times we all need a place to vent. Sounds like one hell of a man....A GOOD MAN. By the way you express yourself. Seems to me like he helped develop yet another GOOD MAN......BEST WISHES to you & yours with your loss.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 15:14   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
An "honest man" is no small legacy to leave behind.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 22:47   #7

The visitation and service was today. They dressed him in his favorite type shirt and blue jeans. By request, we wore camo hunting clothes instead of suits. They will spread his ashes under an old hunting stand and at his fishing hole on the river. The family is indeed alive and well.
Apologies if my rhetoric in any posts on the board was too tense and angry in the last few as someone pointed out elsewhere. I do tend attack in discussions and my mood has been pretty black the last few days! Thanks for the support and kind words!
Old 20-11-2008, 00:27   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
No apologies needed Runner..I have always appreciated what I have read from you..Sorry for your loss..It humbles me..I might have one or two show at mine.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 02:48   #9

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
He left the best he could give you for the last... the memories!!

My condolences to you.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 03:33   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Our condolences...we do honor the honorable.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 05:41   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The visitation and service was today. They dressed him in his favorite type shirt and blue jeans. By request, we wore camo hunting clothes instead of suits. They will spread his ashes under an old hunting stand and at his fishing hole on the river. The family is indeed alive and well.
Apologies if my rhetoric in any posts on the board was too tense and angry in the last few as someone pointed out elsewhere. I do tend attack in discussions and my mood has been pretty black the last few days! Thanks for the support and kind words!
The man must be smiling down on everyone. What a wonderful tribute to his life.............i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:45   #12

Altho there may be bad times coming to endure as this sinks in over time, I am pretty much ok today. I was left with the body for two hours while help was summoned Sunday morning. Then we had to break camp, pack, and load his stuff. I then had to drive the truck home. I don't recommend doing it that way, but it does pretty much make you face what has happened. It was a bad morning, but it will make you face the issues.
Right now one of the boys is on the tractor spreading the white rock dad bought for the driveway a week or so ago. Several of us will be finishing a couple of his projects on the house over the next few days.
If you think knowing that it is coming is going to make such situations easier to deal with, don't fool yourself. A solid base with surrounding family and friends got me thru it.
Anyway, thanks for listening. Take time to go visit and talk gentle while you are there.
Old 22-11-2008, 10:54   #13

Boat: A Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch, 38' S/V ORCA
Heartfelt condolences to you and your Family.

What a fantastic tribute to the wonderful man he was, and a fine son indeed did he raise.

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
Spin_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote