Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 07:54   #91
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Exactly 100 times cheaper and easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I mean the idea is to see the world right? And if your boat gets in the way of that then it's not doing its job.
For me, this is where the argument falls apart: the idea is not merely to see the world. The idea is to sail: to be moved by wind through water by virtue of my own skill and the capabilities of a vessel I have prepared for the voyage. The process becomes more important that the destination because I'm planning, I'm navigating, I'm standing watch and I fix whatever breaks. No mere passenger, I am a passage maker.

If, at the end of the process I end up somewhere cool, fabulous--that's why we keep folding bikes aboard.
Old 22-11-2012, 08:24   #92

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

For me, this is where the argument falls apart: the idea is not merely to see the world. The idea is to sail: to be moved by wind through water by virtue of my own skill and the capabilities of a vessel I have prepared for the voyage. The process becomes more important that the destination because I'm planning, I'm navigating, I'm standing watch and I fix whatever breaks. No mere passenger, I am a passage maker.

If, at the end of the process I end up somewhere cool, fabulous--that's why we keep folding bikes aboard.
This I agree with for myself. I enjoy boats and the ocean. Given a choice between mountain or ocean destinations, I'd pick ocean. Nothing wrong with traveling by other means. To each his own
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 08:29   #93

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I mean the idea is to see the world right? And if your boat gets in the way of that then it's not doing its job.
That's one idea some people have. Some people are very goal oriented: they want to go here, here, and there and they try to figure out the best way to do so. Nothing wrong with that, but I think cruising is also about the process of how you go about getting from here to there, and maybe the process forces you to actually end up someplace else. The cruiser actually enjoys that uncertainty, that dueling with nature and the whims of Murphy, and looks at the entirety of the endeavor as something worth doing. Cruising is a very impractical way to see the world, but seeing the world while cruising is a wonderful thing to many of us.
Old 22-11-2012, 08:36   #94

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Cruising is the art of being uncomforable while going nowhere at very slow speed and very great expense.

If the above does not appeal to you, then the cruising life is not for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 09:22   #95

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

But if the idea is not to see the world but to sail then why not just a daysailor. Why go to the expense of outfitting a ocean cruiser? Isn't voyaging, passage making about going somewhere, i.e. seeing the world?
Old 22-11-2012, 09:41   #96

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But if the idea is not to see the world but to sail then why not just a daysailor. Why go to the expense of outfitting a ocean cruiser? Isn't voyaging, passage making about going somewhere, i.e. seeing the world?
Why can't it be both? With the ocean cruiser you get to enjoy both the sailing and the seeing the world parts. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who have no desire to "see the world" and therefore they race, or they have a daysailor, or they go fishing, or whatever. A lot of people enjoy coastal cruising, or going up and down the ICW, or maybe doing the Great Loop. Some people just like to be out on the water, living aboard their own boat, enjoying the sunsets. We all don't have to like the same things.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:55   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell

Why can't it be both? With the ocean cruiser you get to enjoy both the sailing and the seeing the world parts. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who have no desire to "see the world" and therefore they race, or they have a daysailor, or they go fishing, or whatever. A lot of people enjoy coastal cruising, or going up and down the ICW, or maybe doing the Great Loop. Some people just like to be out on the water, living aboard their own boat, enjoying the sunsets. We all don't have to like the same things.
Exactly, so part (for me a big part) of why we cruise or sail is to go places and see the world. And to take it a step further, the "going and seeing" can sometimes be done better by plane, train, bike, whatever. No matter how you do it, it's still about the journey which has a process and a destination.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:00   #98

Boat: Skookum 53'

For some of us it is the going, and the getting there, we are on a journey though life and on the vessel. Everyone has the privledge of determining how their journey takes shape. As has been stated previously there is no rational reason for anyone to go cruising aboard the expensive, slow sailing vessel. I know in my rational mind that it doesn't make sense, yet it is the only way to go for me.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:19   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
For some of us it is the going, and the getting there, we are on a journey though life and on the vessel. Everyone has the privledge of determining how their journey takes shape. As has been stated previously there is no rational reason for anyone to go cruising aboard the expensive, slow sailing vessel. I know in my rational mind that it doesn't make sense, yet it is the only way to go for me.
Oh, I disagree. I think cruising is the only way to experience certain things and a very unique way of travel. There is no other way you can duplicate the experience of an ocean passage on a small craft for example. But I still say why should we say "it is the only way to go"? If it is, there is just so much you will never see.
Old 22-11-2012, 13:36   #100

As I posted earlier, the experience is for each of us to determine. For me it is a mystical zen experience from start to finish, and once I arrive at some far shore or in the cove around the corner, it is up to me, if I wish to go inland and see other things or be content with what is before me. I would never try to tell someone else how they must fashion their experience, that is the beauty of free will. It is not for me to judge how someone else sails their vessel as long as they are not trying to run over me.
Old 22-11-2012, 13:45   #101

Boat: too many

If you want to see the world on the cheap, or better yet get paid, then enroll in a maritime academy, get your Unlimited, join MM&P, and see the world. I did it that way and it loses some of its charm when it is always the shipper's schedule and destinations. I cruised before making it a profession, and intend on returning to cruising. Can't say enough about being in control of your schedules and destinations.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 13:59   #102

Merchant sailing found a way to suck most of the fun out of being at sea, more so in the oil field than anywhere else. It hasn't soured me on commercial fishing or cruising.
Old 22-11-2012, 14:11   #103

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Merchant sailing found a way to suck most of the fun out of being at sea, more so in the oil field than anywhere else. It hasn't soured me on commercial fishing or cruising.
I hear ya. Did the oil patch also with Noble Drilling.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 14:49   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

for me one of the best aspects of travel is the people you meet along the way.

flying or back packing these relationships become very transient,the great thing about a boat is generally crossing an ocean or rtw you meet the same boats again,sometimes over a period of quite a few years!

we have also had crew join us and spend up to 6months traveling together on board,some of which 25 years later i still consider as friends and am in regular contact with to this day.......... like i said no real comparison between life on the road or life on a boat!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 15:19   #105

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
These are two different things: daysailing and an ocean passage. Similar but not the same. Each delivers their own thrills.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote