Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Endurance found after 100+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
It is great to see those photographs , the whole Shacklton story is an amazing one , to cross the southern ocean in an open boat was some feat , his navigator a new Zealander did not get the recognition that he deserved ,the real sad part of it all was that most of the men who survived the expedition died in the mud of WW1

Indeed it was Worsleys brilliance that saved the day. Shackleton couldn’t navigate
Old 10-03-2022, 13:24   #17

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Coincidentally, the Tuesday evening before the morning press release announcing the discovery of the shipwreck Endurance, I was having a dram (well, several drams) of freshly opened Shackleton scotch whiskey with a buddy. It was the first whiskey I have had since the end of January. The universe is indeed connected!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 13:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
kinda makes you wonder how much time and money was spent on finding an old sunken boat. guess its it's hard times for some and for others life is sweet

A guy like you made the same crack in the NYT's comments section. He was correctly called a debbie downer, with apologies to debbies and karens all over.

Bad stuff happens all the time.

It's nice to have good stuff shared. A reminder that in the midst of great adversity, a few dozen men pulled together and rescued themselves from sure death. I'd say good stuff there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 14:00   #19

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It's nice to have good stuff shared. A reminder that in the midst of great adversity, a few dozen men pulled together and rescued themselves from sure death. I'd say good stuff there.
Amen!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 17:56   #20

Quote:
It is great to see those photographs; the whole Shacklton story is an amazing one - to cross the southern ocean in an open boat was some feat. His navigator, a new Zealander, did not get the recognition that he deserved...
Not quite... an Irishman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Thankfully Tom Crean went and opened a pub - which is still there to this day.
Eileen Crean O'Brien (Tom Crean's granddaughter) was interviewed on NPR's The World on March 9, 2022. Here's the synopsis of the podcast (with link below):

MARCH 9, 2022
Ukrainian citizens use 'safe corridors' to evacuate as bombardment continues
The Russian military is stepping up its attacks on residential areas of besieged cities in Ukraine. Today, Russian and Ukrainian authorities appeared to take steps toward setting up safe corridors for civilians to evacuate from six cities in the east and south. And the historic city of Lviv features cobblestone streets, ornate churches, and the Lviv Theater of Opera and Ballet. Today, its residents are rushing to protect these cultural treasures, as they watch the Russian military's continued assault on several cities.
Plus, we hear from the granddaughter of Tom Crean, the navigating officer on Ernest Shackleton's found ship The Endurance. She continues his legacy by retracing Crean's expedition.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444246/pri-s-the-world

Her interview is at the very end: from Minute 45:10 to 49:20.

Apparently, the Crean's restaurant will be coming out with a new beer this year: The "Endurance".
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 18:28   #21
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
A guy like you made the same crack in the NYT's comments section. He was correctly called a debbie downer, with apologies to debbies and karens all over.

Bad stuff happens all the time.

don't humor me .. i know all about bad stuff. my observation had nothing to do with Shackleton and his crew.
Old 14-03-2022, 07:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
kinda makes you wonder how much time and money was spent on finding an old sunken boat. guess its it's hard times for some and for others life is sweet

A lot of starving people in the world would look at a US(?) yacht owner posting on-line like you and say the same thing.
Skybird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 07:51   #23

I've just been reading Shackleton's journal of the Endurance expedition. It was, in fact, Frank Worsley who was the navigator for the small boat voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island. Worsley was also the captain and navigator of the Endurance. Crean and Hudson were co-captains of the Stancomb Wills, one of the 3 small boats that traveled from the floe ice to Elephant Island, once the water became ice free enough to move from traveling on the floes to sailing and rowing to the island. Worsley was the principal navigator for this voyage as well. Crean and Worsley were two of the six men, including Shackleton, who sailed and rowed in the 20 foot boat, the James Caird, from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island.

In his journals, Shackleton notes the extreme difficulty of taking and reducing sun sights in the conditions experienced in their winter voyage in an open boat across several hundred miles of the Southern Ocean. His admiration for Worsley as a navigator is evident in the journal entries.

Regards,

Bob S
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 08:28   #24

Boat: Catalina 28

When I first heard they had found the Endurance, my first thought was "how can they be sure it's the Endurance?". I was looking at a bunch of the pictures thinking it looks like a pretty generic ship to me. Then I saw the photo of the name across the stern. Amazing.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 08:57   #25

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Not quite... an Irishman!
Frank Worsley was a New Zealander and Ernest Shackleton was Anglo-Irish.

Anglo=English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_people
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 10:28   #26

Whenever I think of Shackleton and his adventure, I remember reading about the 100 dogs they took along for pulling sleds, and how Shackleton ordered the guy in charge of caring for them to "Kill all the dogs". Since the expedition was entirely for the purpose of fame and gain, I deplore the whole story. I hope Shackleton discovered that god is a dog.
psaltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 10:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Coincidentally, the Tuesday evening before the morning press release announcing the discovery of the shipwreck Endurance, I was having a dram (well, several drams) of freshly opened Shackleton scotch whiskey with a buddy. It was the first whiskey I have had since the end of January. The universe is indeed connected!

Small point laddie one spells Scotch Whisky without the (E)
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 12:07   #28

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaltydogs View Post
Whenever I think of Shackleton and his adventure, I remember reading about the 100 dogs they took along for pulling sleds, and how Shackleton ordered the guy in charge of caring for them to "Kill all the dogs". Since the expedition was entirely for the purpose of fame and gain, I deplore the whole story. I hope Shackleton discovered that god is a dog.

Well I agree with you, it's a pity that animals are primarily for the exploitation of humans (exceptions noted), and are dispensable when times get rough. But when I started this thread, it wasn't meant to be about Shackleton or Worsley or anyone else. It was about the haunting sight of the Endurance, sitting intact and upright at the bottom of the Southern Ocean, like she was waiting for someone to come. For people who love boats and believe (sort of!) that they have a life of their own, this was, as I said, a deeply moving sight. At least for me.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 17:47   #29

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Small point laddie one spells Scotch Whisky without the (E)
Thank you Laird. I mentally paused whilst putting those electrons into semiconductor storage on the spelling of whisky/whiskey. I couldn't remember which was which and so I stumbled...

However, from https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/as...two-spellings/

"At least the Scots were consistent. Or so you might think. The ‘Truths’ blat was the first skirmish in a debate, which culminated in the Royal Commission sitting in 1908, entitled Enquiry into whiskey and other potable spirits. The ‘e’ spelling is used throughout.

In his magisterial account Scotch: A Liquid History, Charles MacLean says that spellings became standardised soon after. The Irish stuck with the ‘e’; the Scots didn’t."

For the record, on the expedition Shackleton took 25 cases of Mackinlay Scotch whisky, as well as 12 crates of brandy and 6 crates of port.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 04:25   #30

Boat: 25' Wellcraft 250 Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Thankfully Tom Crean went and opened a pub , the pub still there to this day
True, and I've often had a beer and a great lunch in it. There's also Tom Crean bar in Kenmare, where I live and his granddaughter runs it at present.
sogood is offline   Reply With Quote