Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 15:20   #91

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader
Re: Electric Car Economics

https://electricitywizard.com.au/wp-...price-2017.png

Check the above chart and marvel at what the renewable obsession fuelled by the fraud of CO2 is baaad, will do to your power costs. Australia is at the forefront of idiocy together with Denmark and Germany. Woohoo, up the greens!
Check out how much tax Denmark is charging the poor sods that live there!
Old 28-06-2019, 00:39   #92

Boat: Island Packet 40

Have you bought it yet Dockhead?
Old 28-06-2019, 02:35   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Have you bought it yet Dockhead?
No, I'm still in London, and will be sailing in July. Probably do it in August.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 29-06-2019, 08:41   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
https://electrek.co/2018/03/13/tesla...arger-station/

The existing supercharger locations that would be used for long distance travel are within walking distance of restaurants.

Why are you so hell bent on having an internal combustion engine? It's just more junk to carry around with you and maintain when it's not necessary to have.

And yet my Honda Accord 2 motor hybrid weighs less than a Tesla Model 3....

The bottom line is cost. A Tesla model 3 costs $6k more than a Honda Accord Hybrid (Touring model - top of the line). Yeah, I'm told to compare Tesla to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., not a Honda, but I don't buy into that snob BS.

The cost of adding a (slow) charger to my garage is another $1k.

At current gas/electric prices where I live, I would have to drive the Tesla 400,000 miles to break even on fuel costs. Tesla Model 3 = $3.25/100 miles - Honda Accord Hybrid = $5.00/100 miles. And put up with taking 10 times longer to fuel up, plus the frustration with not having a charging station conveniently located to where I want to be.

I'm not anti new technology, I'm against paying more for less functionality.
Old 29-06-2019, 09:16   #95

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Electric Car Economics

Well you darned people (says my grandfather back 100 years ago ) with your cars. You have to plan if a gas station is on your way. But my horse can get fuel from any pasture and it’s automatic so I can take a nap and it won’t run over any people or fall off a cliff. Oh, and it’s self repairing and creates its own replacement. So there you with your new fangled car thing.
Old 29-06-2019, 10:18   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well you darned people (says my grandfather back 100 years ago ) with your cars. You have to plan if a gas station is on your way. But my horse can get fuel from any pasture and it’s automatic so I can take a nap and it won’t run over any people or fall off a cliff. Oh, and it’s self repairing and creates its own replacement. So there you with your new fangled car thing.

You have never had horses I take it? Cause a horse is orders of magnitude more maintenance than any car.
Old 29-06-2019, 17:17   #97
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You have never had horses I take it? Cause a horse is orders of magnitude more maintenance than any car.

And creates a lot of visual pollution that upsets some folks, has a limited lifespan that cannot be extended and isn't always responsive to the steering and brakes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-06-2019, 20:58   #98

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

And creates a lot of visual pollution that upsets some folks, has a limited lifespan that cannot be extended and isn't always responsive to the steering and brakes.
Yeah, Wottie, but you are unlikely to be breathalyzed coming home from the pub on a horse, nor get a ticket for no seat belt! They seem to have some advantages, but only come in open air models, so travel in inclement wx isn't so nice. Some are reputed to have built in "home to the barn" features in their GPS systems, but are not good at outbound navigation.

If the damn things didn't always want to step on my feet I'd keep one in the lazarette!

Jim
Old 29-06-2019, 23:54   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yeah, Wottie, but you are unlikely to be breathalyzed coming home from the pub on a horse, nor get a ticket for no seat belt! They seem to have some advantages, but only come in open air models, so travel in inclement wx isn't so nice. Some are reputed to have built in "home to the barn" features in their GPS systems, but are not good at outbound navigation.

If the damn things didn't always want to step on my feet I'd keep one in the lazarette!

Jim
No doubt this young Lady would disagree with you

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...se-while-drunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5TYqo7NFZXQ

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 30-06-2019, 00:00   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I concur with all the above points except the first one!

Direct from the Qld wallopers own site:
She was charged with being in charge of a horse while under the influence of liquor.
Note this is June 2018. See https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/201...rrested-logan/

Numerous other examples exist in other Oz states, the UK, Canada and USA . I dunno about NZ

But I wonder if they need a PFD in the dinghy.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-06-2019, 00:06   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
51 - you are such a smooth talker
Old 30-06-2019, 06:20   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Electric Car Economics

When driving around the inner part of Florida, say high springs area as an example, when you see Jim Bob on his lawnmower or a golf cart, he has lost his license due to drunk driving almost certainly.
Operating a horse while intoxicated is silly, if you can catch it, and saddle it up, mount it and not fall off, your not real drunk 🥴
Old 30-06-2019, 06:45   #103

I think that we're underestimating the horse's historic position as the first widely-used autonomous transport. If you were drunk but managed to mount up, it will take you home.

Countless movies can't be wrong, can they?
Old 30-06-2019, 07:01   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

And if you get the equivalent to a flat tire...the solution is to put a slug into the engine computer.
Old 30-06-2019, 07:20   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I think that we're underestimating the horse's historic position as the first widely-used autonomous transport. If you were drunk but managed to mount up, it will take you home.

Countless movies can't be wrong, can they?

Every one I have ever had had a barn mode, as soon as they knew we were headed back they would speed up.
Pony I had as a kid would follow me like a dog, go over to a kids house and just get off he would stand around while we played, and if we walked over to another kids house, he would follow.
But yes, they all knew where home was. They aren’t very smart, but they know how to go home.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, grass