Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2009, 20:41   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Thanks for the heads up Gord. I did my little bit and feel very good about it. Now that's saying something for an old cynic like me to feel good about this.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 20:50   #32

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have read more than once that the energy used to make a solar panel is more than it will ever produce, meaning a net loss. But that is how our bodies (and our onboard charging systems) work also. So what the hay!
Do solar panels require more energy during manufacturing than they produce over their lifetime?

A friend told me that the energy required to manufacture a solar panel is greater than what the panel is expected to produce during its lifetime, thus making them inefficient and unsustainable, and I have not been able to find any literature which agrees. Can anyone point me in an academic non biased direction? I remain skeptical.
  • 9 months ago
Report Abuse

by Eco_Dave... Member since:June 12, 2008Total points:611 (Level 2)
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

There is a study conducted by Giacomo Bizzarri of the University of Ferrara and Gianluca Morini of the University of Bologna found that the COST of installing solar panels over their lifespan is 2.5 time MORE than the cost of purchasing the power they produce.

They more importantly stated that they "...found that the total energy produced over a two-year period outweighs the energy used in manufacture, installation, and maintenance. Their analysis also shows that the manufacture and use of PV panels produces less pollution than fossil fuel based electricity generation."

So there is your answer, they are only more expensive and only now. A few years back gas was only $1.50/gallons here in the USA. Things change quickly. If electricity costs increase by 300% over the next 20-25 years, this study may need to be revised!
Source(s):

ROI of Photovoltaic Solar Panels
http://www.alphagalileo.org/index.cfm?**...

Sorry for the big type. It goes on with lots of other testimonies of cost savings. I for one, agree. We saved a lot of heat, noise, vibration, oil changes, diesel costs, and aggravation when our VERY well equipped cruising boat ran exclusively on solar for several years while we were in Mexico.

As for earth hour, my lights are ON.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 21:06   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Just another example of the (Man-Made) Global Warming Nutcases tryimg to guilt us into their agenda.....The Supreme Chicken-Necker, His Royal Hind-Ass, Al Gore wants uss to bow down to his histrionics.........

There has, to this point been no scientific experiment that proves man-made global warming. Computer Modeling does not count, nor do anecdotal weather observations.
Weather observation locations have changed over the years......Does any one remember when temperatures were recorded in cities....now they are from airports?
A degree here a degree there.....Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics SC aka MT
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 21:19   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
SenorM,

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 02:20   #35

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Thanks for the thread Gord. I hope we can keep it open with relevant info without bickering and getting it shut down.

I think as a race we are killing the much of the Earth and we would do well to take many measures to stop pollution and habitat destruction. I believe we can all do better, resonsible cruisers are most likely some of the most eco friendly folks on the planet IMO.

I do believe that man made global warming is a scam but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be environmentaly responsible for other reasons. I want the world to be as beautiful in 5 10 or 30 years because I have yet to see much of it.

As a future cruiser (I still have to slog away for a pension) I cringe when I hear about all the beautiful spots you veteran cruisers have been that are getting ruined. Or how there are very few Conch/Grouper/Lobsters around in many places in the Caribbean.

Anyways, great thread.

The Great Global Warming Swindle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a very good documentary without any of the scare tatcics sometimes employed by those with the opposing opinion.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 09:12   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Many great points. As for Solar, my panels are second hand, ten years old or so and still keep my batteries up. I don't know what they cost because they came with the boat. The cost of solar has been going down, and oil going up. Meat has really increased, but we eat too much anyway. Everything in moderation and consideration for the people and animals that live here after we are gone.
Now I am not a global warming nut, and I really dislike Al Gore. To me sailing in a green way is a lot like fly fishing- more effort but worth it. I also make my own fishing tackle, and look forward to making my own sails (when I retire- er I mean switch jobs)
And you don't have to point it out- I know Dacron is made from oil, as is mono filament line. I can use the Earth's resources, I just believe in being thrifty with them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote