Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 04:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WWF’s History of Earth Hour:
WWF's history of Earth Hour - Sign up and switch off in 2009 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... 2.2 million houses in Sydney? I don't think there are that many ...
I stand corrected.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 02:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

World Water Day, March 22, 2009

World Water Day (Sunday, March 22/09) is an international day of observance and action to draw attention to one of the largest public health issues of our time: the plight of the more than 1 billion people (roughly 20% of the world's population) who lack access to clean, safe drinking water. Water is essential to the treatment of disease and for overall good health. This is especially critical for children; out of the 2.2 million unsafe drinking water deaths in 2004, 90% were children under the age of five.

Check out the Hesperian* Foundation Weblog
Hesperian Foundation

* Hesperian is the publisher of “Where There Is No Doctor” and other outstanding books on community health.
Free downloads:
Hesperian Foundation

Old 21-03-2009, 03:57   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Gord.

I have to say that I'm having trouble seeing how anything in this thread is even remotely connected with boating. Worthy causes are important to many of us, but as you know, we really prefer to keep the discussions here at least somewhat related to the purpose of the Forum, no matter how tenuously.

Best regards,

Hud

Quote:
Off Topic
This forum is for stories, jokes & other general topics. Off Topic content should still remain loosely related to boating.
Old 21-03-2009, 04:07   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Hi Hud-
Perhaps it has to do with one of the biggest commonality cruisiers have - Water- we need it to Sail on- to drink- to live-
in that sense its related- im glade he posted it because I need to be reminded of things like this from time to time-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 05:14   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My apologies to all, for drifting so far off purpose.
I shouldn’t let my conscience prevail over my judgement.

Old 21-03-2009, 05:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Oz and NZ - sorta like getting mixed up between the UK and France,
I wouldnt think so, I would think the Poms and the cheese eating surrender monkeys would be much closer than the KUWIS and our good selves.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 07:42   #22

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I would think the Poms and the cheese eating surrender monkeys would be much closer than the KUWIS and our good selves.
I'm pretty sure that this statement was meant to be offensive...correct me if I'm wrong.

Hud, I think its a matter of prospective. I completely see your point about this thread, but still can see exactly why Gord would post it. Cruisers are so in tune with our natural world...I can understand why a cruiser would post something so related to his beliefs. There was nothing political in his posting, no finger pointing. Just a heads up about an opportunity to show each other how many would like progress in the way we treat Mother Earth. I know cruising has had a profound effect on the way I view all life on Earth. I can see where Gord was coming from...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Forum management: Please feel free to lock or delete this thread.

Old 28-03-2009, 11:54   #24

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
Cool

I'm new to this forum but have a fair amount of experience with internet forums. As users interact with one another, a camaraderie is built up and friendships develop. It's only natural to want to share positive events with your friends. Every forum I'm involved with has a sub forum to deal with this. Off topic subjects are always the moderator's call. Personally, I have no problem with this sort of thread. Nor do I have a problem with its topic. These events are meant to increase awareness. If your reaction is to sneer with a far-fetched rationalization, then I would say to you that you are taking the intent of them the wrong way. Rudeness rarely wins arguments.

My $0.02.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 16:32   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

The English will be joining in this year. But only cos' they ain't got any money to stick in the meter
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 16:49   #26

Boat: Norseman 447
So we are going to turn off a light bulb that in NZ especially is powered by a renewable green energy source and light a candle that is made from hydocarbons and emits Co2, seems like a backward step to me
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 17:24   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Substance matters much more than symbolism. Its more important that we start becoming more substantive about helping this planet. Earth Hour is nothing more than symbolism. Its no different than putting a "Save the Whales" bumper sticker on your car versus driving your car less.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 17:51   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Why not have a “No-Flush Week”. We could then save water (and using no TP, trees)

Wouldn't that be great?
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:38   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Hud, to bring sailing into the equation- I did my own "Earth Hours" today. Took out my boat, left the dock with only hands from the crew and wind. Used electricity for WX and depth sounder (all solar supplied). Sailed while eating salads and water (really!) and then completed the day by sailing in to the berth. Slower than motoring in and out- absolutely. Salad filling and nutritious? Absolutely. Great enjoyment without hydrocarbons? YOU BET!
Now if I can convince my wife to ride our bikes to the marina and back ( 40 mile round trip)
But can sailors do "Earth Day" in a quiet way and make a difference? YES!!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 20:13   #30

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Hud, to bring sailing into the equation- I did my own "Earth Hours" today. Took out my boat, left the dock with only hands from the crew and wind. Used electricity for WX and depth sounder (all solar supplied). Sailed while eating salads and water (really!) and then completed the day by sailing in to the berth. Slower than motoring in and out- absolutely. Salad filling and nutritious? Absolutely. Great enjoyment without hydrocarbons? YOU BET!
Now if I can convince my wife to ride our bikes to the marina and back ( 40 mile round trip)
But can sailors do "Earth Day" in a quiet way and make a difference? YES!!
I have read more than once that the energy used to make a solar panel is more than it will ever produce, meaning a net loss. But that is how our bodies (and our onboard charging systems) work also. So what the hay!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote