Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 14:12   #16
Registered User
 
Orion Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Noank, Ct. USA
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 1,884
Images: 8
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It does not. The "scientists" pushing this bilge water are the same leftist activists pushing the AGW lies. I respect your right to believe it; please respect mine to not.
Exactly my feelings on the subject.
__________________

Orion Jim is offline  
Old 24-01-2019, 14:44   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Northport NY
Boat: Pearson 10M
Posts: 222
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It does not. The "scientists" pushing this bilge water are the same leftist activists pushing the AGW lies. I respect your right to believe it; please respect mine to not.
The problem is, the people you usually hear from are not the scientists who are actually doing the research. Good in that many of them are unintelligible to the lay person, bad in that the actual message gets changed by the presenters often incomplete understanding of the subject and by their personal or political agenda. How do I know this? I am close friends with 3 climatologists. One of whom is well known in his specific field. (There are a lot of subsets of those studying climate.) I know another few casually, I have heard all the sides of the arguments over the years. They were working on this way before it became political or most people were even aware. If you want it, second hand from the source, here it is.


The climate is warming and it is manmade. This is what they call "settled science". What effects there will be is under considerable debate. Far from settled.
__________________

sagablu is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 19:21   #18
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 616
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

This article provides a synopsis of various theories for why, or how soon, Earth is to a civilizational collapse.


Societal collapse | Wikipedia
Quote:
Societal collapse
Societal collapse is the fall of a complex human society. Such a disintegration may be relatively abrupt, as in the case of Maya civilization, or gradual, as in the case of the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

The subject of societal collapse is of interest in such fields as history, anthropology, sociology, political science, and, more recently, complex-systems science.

Causes of collapse

Changes occurring with collapse

Population dynamics

Theories

Examples of civilizations and societies that have collapsed
SailOar is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 20:51   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 788
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
This article provides a synopsis of various theories for why, or how soon, Earth is to a civilizational collapse.
Societal collapse | Wikipedia
Space weather not mentioned. 'Just in time' food supply chain management practices combined with high population densities is such that the old "there are only 9 meals separating mankind and anarchy" principle applies. It's sort of a foregone conclusion that industrialized societies will fair exceedingly poorly when the next sizeable coronal mass ejection occurs. Meanwhile folks living in huts will only suffer stiff necks from gazing so much at the show.

Big CMEs are routine-ish but talking about them sort of takes the wind out of the sails of all the professional fear-mongers and authors.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...weather-events


PS: I'm only referencing CMEs, not climate science, global warming, discrete magnetic field concerns, etc.
Singularity is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 21:12   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

From a guy that spent years on BART teams. The human race will not blow itself up in a nuke war. As to the MMGW Crap the planet is cooling and no its not mans fault . This is from a respected astrophysicist.
Her latest lecture last October
https://youtu.be/M_yqIj38UmY
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 21:18   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Space weather not mentioned. 'Just in time' food supply chain management practices combined with high population densities is such that the old "there are only 9 meals separating mankind and anarchy" principle applies. It's sort of a foregone conclusion that industrialized societies will fair exceedingly poorly when the next sizeable coronal mass ejection occurs. Meanwhile folks living in huts will only suffer stiff necks from gazing so much at the show.

Big CMEs are routine-ish but talking about them sort of takes the wind out of the sails of all the professional fear-mongers and authors.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...weather-events
speaking of a CME. A minor one will hit the earth tomorrow evening
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 21:37   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 2,078
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Perhaps most interesting is that 'collapse' seems to be seen as on/off event.

Be any of an assortment of metrics, it seems clear that 'Western' civilization is in a state of collapse as we speak, and that the success of certain eastern economic powers has a lot to do with providing the means necessary to maintain 'civilization's' grip on stability.

Obviously an extreme oversimplification given the interconnectedness of 'western' and the rest-of-the-worlds economic players...


As for the 'professional fear-mongers and authors', as one who witnesses a local, relatively short-lived 'civilizational' collapse (Katrina and her aftermath, 2005), as bad as the response from the powers-that-be was, t'would be hard to imagine how bad it'd have been without the planning for such emergencies, spurred at least in part by such 'professional fear-mongers and authors'.
jimbunyard is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 21:40   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Perhaps most interesting is that 'collapse' seems to be seen as on/off event.

Be any of an assortment of metrics, it seems clear that 'Western' civilization is in a state of collapse as we speak, and that the success of certain eastern economic powers has a lot to do with providing the means necessary to maintain 'civilization's' grip on stability.

Obviously an extreme oversimplification given the interconnectedness of 'western' and the rest-of-the-worlds economic players...


As for the 'professional fear-mongers and authors', as one who witnesses a local, relatively short-lived 'civilizational' collapse (Katrina and her aftermath, 2005), as bad as the response from the powers-that-be was, t'would be hard to imagine how bad it'd have been without the planning for such emergencies, spurred at least in part by such 'professional fear-mongers and authors'.
there is a difference between getting people to prepare for disasters and fearmongering.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 22:21   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 2,078
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Yeah, well you think the planet is cooling, MMGW is 'crap', Valentina Zharkova is a 'respected astrophysicist' and that a force that has 1% the efficacy of another force inexplicably overpowers the larger force.

For some reason I'm not going to ask you to elaborate on the difference between fear-mongering and emergency-preparedness...
jimbunyard is offline  
Old 09-03-2019, 22:35   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Yeah, well you think the planet is cooling, MMGW is 'crap', Valentina Zharkova is a 'respected astrophysicist' and that a force that has 1% the efficacy of another force inexplicably overpowers the larger force.

For some reason I'm not going to ask you to elaborate on the difference between fear-mongering and emergency-preparedness...
and I suppose you believe what you read on express.co.uk
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 00:45   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 30
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Fun Fact, over 2,000 nuclear weapons have been detonated. Most above ground. soooo, apparently the world has ended and we do not realise it?!?
NCWDave is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:13   #27
Registered User
 
WingRyder's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Posts: 289
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

I remember a buddy of mine, back in the 90's, he was HUGE into the Y2K thing. He was convinced (as were millions of others) that the date field, in antiquated software was going to cause a global collapse. He even built a bunker and was prepped for the zombie apocalypse... I'll confess that some of that hype spilled over to me, and against my skeptical nature, I started to quietly worry about it as well.

When nothing happened, I felt, well, duped and kinda silly.

Then came the Mayan "doomsday clock" ... as if some paleolithic society had some inside knowledge of our demise.

Humans are funny, crowd think is innate in our psyche. Anyone with charisma can whip a crowd into believing anything.

MMGW is as much political as scientific, a frightening combination. Never before have scientist claimed to have it all figured out beyond question! ... and no one dare question their data! After all, the first rule of scientific theory is "Question EVERYTHING"

We have a million things we could all do, both individually and globally, to decrease pollution, and stop the onslaught against old growth forests, (and many other things), that we need to address ASAP, and far less expensively, than the carbon credit, ponzi scam.

I'm not saying that climate change isn't happening, and we are putting a scary amount of CO2 into the atmosphere, but the govt wants me to pay for it FIRST, before they actually take any action. All of the sudden, the legislators are in a panic about the "science". These are the same people who toss a little scrap money to NASA and other scientific endeavors. Call me skeptical. HELL, they shut the (non-essential) government down over 5 billion dollars! I'm not willing to trust these fools with MORE of my money. EPA has become a shakedown organization.

I've had a life-long love of astronomy, and there are some terrifying things out there, that could end our civilization tomorrow... tens of thousands of them. They are called NEO's and Earth crossing asteroids. We could actually do something about this. Yet there is very little funding for those programs and space in general. My hunch is that there is now way for politicians to line their pockets on the side.

Rant coming on, so... /post.
WingRyder is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23   #28
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Yeah, well you think the planet is cooling, MMGW is 'crap', Valentina Zharkova is a 'respected astrophysicist' and that a force that has 1% the efficacy of another force inexplicably overpowers the larger force.

For some reason I'm not going to ask you to elaborate on the difference between fear-mongering and emergency-preparedness...
do you even know what a BART is? Bet your wrong
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:18   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 2,078
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

of course i know who bart is. hes the guy on the simpsons.
jimbunyard is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:18   #30
Registered User
 
fish53's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 320
Re: "Doomsday Clock"

Well Gordmay you've provided food for thought for a few and an outlet for the deniers which appear to be legion. Interesting how many people blindly follow the words of someone who's existence is unproven and doubtful while others deny that which stares them plainly in the face.
__________________

fish53 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW MAYAN CALENDAR FOUND: DOOMSDAY POSSIBLY DELAYED captainKJ Health, Safety & Related Gear 20 11-03-2019 16:57
Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan? OrangeCrush General Sailing Forum 193 16-02-2017 12:39
For Sale: "Boston" Series Brass Clock and Barometer - chelsea clock co. pressuredrop Classifieds Archive 0 26-04-2016 13:12
For Sale: 7" bronze clock/barometer set "victory" pressuredrop Classifieds Archive 6 12-08-2015 10:04
‘Unsinkable’ Yachts Touted as Noah’s Arks by Doomsday Author arjand General Sailing Forum 33 26-02-2012 12:23

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.