Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 14:35   #226

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Recently I have become concerned..... I have always considered myself strictly a one bucket man. My bucket shall we say is a nonstandard size. It fits in just the right spot and is key to the type of cruising I enjoy. I have been fearful that should my bucket fail I would not be able to replace it. Recently I found several buckets of just the same size. Overwhelmed and compulsive I grabbed seven of those beauties...... SEVEN..... I feel like a hoarder. Should I be concerned? SEVEN......... should I move to Utah? Is it even healthy to consider so many buckets on board..........?
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 23:57   #227

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Do You Remember Your First Bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Recently I have become concerned..... I have always considered myself strictly a one bucket man. My bucket shall we say is a nonstandard size. It fits in just the right spot and is key to the type of cruising I enjoy. I have been fearful that should my bucket fail I would not be able to replace it. Recently I found several buckets of just the same size. Overwhelmed and compulsive I grabbed seven of those beauties...... SEVEN..... I feel like a hoarder. Should I be concerned? SEVEN......... should I move to Utah? Is it even healthy to consider so many buckets on board..........?
seven is nice number - different bucket for each day of the week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 00:20   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Does the b in your user name stand for bucket then? This forum needs more bucketeers.

Coops.
Old 31-10-2013, 00:25   #229

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Does the b in your user name stand for bucket then? This forum needs more bucketeers.

Coops.
b= bucket
b= boat
b=? (you name it)

yes we do not more bucketeers. Apparently the great unwashed masses are unable to appreciate the worthiness of being a bucketeer

On the other hand, I believe it was Grouch Marx that said "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me" or something similar. Maybe we just haven't made the IBS exclusive enough

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 31-10-2013, 00:37   #230
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
b= bucket
b= boat
b=? (you name it)

Yes we do not more bucketeers. Apparently the great unwashed masses are unable to appreciate the worthiness of being a bucketeer

On the other hand, I believe it was Grouch Marx that said "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me" or something similar. Maybe we just haven't made the IBS exclusive enough
" Yes we do not more bucketeers?" What does that mean? Do we have our own version of mangled English so that we can recognise fellow lovers of the pail? This is getting serious if we are speaking in tongues or codes then. I shall have to get a handle on it I see.

Coops.
Old 31-10-2013, 02:31   #231

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
" Yes we do not more bucketeers?" What does that mean? Do we have our own version of mangled English so that we can recognise fellow lovers of the pail? This is getting serious if we are speaking in tongues or codes then. I shall have to get a handle on it I see.

Coops.
When a person has 10 thumbs and attempts to type…………………

here it is corrected

yes, we do need more bucketeers.

"I shall have to get a handle on it I see." yes, well - a true bucketeer always has a couple of spare handles………………..

Old 31-10-2013, 09:18   #232
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As Mr. Timmy, DBA "Grump Cat" has absconded with "Ol' Red" and is using "Red" as a water dish, In his words, "the bestest cat water bowl ever", I am looking for a new bucket to do general boat duties.

Alas a good bucket is hard to find. Most of the new flashy buckets I see have rather limp handles that just will not stand up, as it were, to my bondage ropes... I do have my eye out for a new or slightly used one and have even sent Santa my wish list for a new bucket.

I've even looked in the seedier side of town. Alas, the buckets hanging around the dumpsters seem to be a little run down and loaded. So hard to find a clean, sober bucket these days.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 09:29   #233

sailorchick, you're right. We still have that black "Super Bucket" that WM used to sell. I think they stopped selling them because they (YIKES!!!) last so long. Gotta be at least 20 years old now.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:05   #234

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Went to fantasy fest last week, saw some really great buckets around the marina, was tempted to try to a few out, but the admiral said I had a good bucket and didnt need another.
Told her mine was a little worn and cracked around the edges,
My eye has almost healed.....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:21   #235

I love everything "bucket."

I often wonder at the various bucket uses and activities.......usual and unusual. In Maine waters it is not unusual to see a bucket turned upside down and nestled down onto an extended exhaust stack of a Lobster boat. Just in case of rain. It's nice to see at the end of the day......
Old 31-10-2013, 12:31   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
As Mr. Timmy, DBA "Grump Cat" has absconded with "Ol' Red" and is using "Red" as a water dish, In his words, "the bestest cat water bowl ever", I am looking for a new bucket to do general boat duties. Alas a good bucket is hard to find. Most of the new flashy buckets I see have rather limp handles that just will not stand up, as it were, to my bondage ropes... I do have my eye out for a new or slightly used one and have even sent Santa my wish list for a new bucket. I've even looked in the seedier side of town. Alas, the buckets hanging around the dumpsters seem to be a little run down and loaded. So hard to find a clean, sober bucket these days.
Sailorchic,

Those older buckets...... Have you tried a good scrubbing. Or maybe a good soak with Clorox.

I have been nursing my old bucket along for years. It's unique. A good scrub and a soak seems to help, despite all of the scratches and dings.
Old 31-10-2013, 13:13   #237

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
As Mr. Timmy, DBA "Grump Cat" has absconded with "Ol' Red" and is using "Red" as a water dish, In his words, "the bestest cat water bowl ever", I am looking for a new bucket to do general boat duties.

Alas a good bucket is hard to find. Most of the new flashy buckets I see have rather limp handles that just will not stand up, as it were, to my bondage ropes... I do have my eye out for a new or slightly used one and have even sent Santa my wish list for a new bucket.

I've even looked in the seedier side of town. Alas, the buckets hanging around the dumpsters seem to be a little run down and loaded. So hard to find a clean, sober bucket these days.
You should come to Ketwest lol
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:20   #238

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The sentimentality of some of you just makes me want to puke! Over the side and not even in a bucket. Yeah, I use to spend good money hoping to fall in love with some expensive Hardware or Marine store bucket. But they often broke it off (usually at the handle). Today I just wander the waterfront find some nice jugs and bring them back to the boat. First I cut off their necks and then prick their sides with my marlinspike and run lines through them. I use them and abuse them and when I'm done with them I throw them in the recycling bin. Got the photos right here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A DIFFERENT KIND OF BUCKET LIST
REDUCE, REUSE, AND RECYCLE
Old 31-10-2013, 13:31   #239
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailorchic---downwind marine has violet feed buckets. all 7 of my buckets, even the BRIGHT pink one and the purple fuel one are feed buckets from downwind marine. ask for chris frost.
they online also.

most beautiful buckets i ever saw

oh yes and a nice ladylike 3 gallons....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:32   #240
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Sailorchic,

Those older buckets...... Have you tried a good scrubbing. Or maybe a good soak with Clorox.

I have been nursing my old bucket along for years. It's unique. A good scrub and a soak seems to help, despite all of the scratches and dings.
probably has more to do with the "scrubbing"