Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2020, 09:16   #1

Do Cdn's know Tim Horton's

So the story goes, the first Tim Horton's was in Hamilton Ontario. NOT TRUE!!

I grew up in North Bay Ontario in the 60's. The actual first Tim Horton's was in (Ferris at the time) North Bay and sold burgers and fries. I remember my parents taking me there after swimming lessons in Lake Nippissing. How many Cdn's know that??

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...tory-1.2649443
Old 28-11-2020, 09:22   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Do Cdn's know Tim Horton's

As an American, I love Tim Hortons.
Old 28-11-2020, 09:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tim Horton had initially tried several different business ideas, including a chain of hamburger restaurants, but none had staying power.
That was until he opened that first donut shop.

Tim Horton and Jim Charade formed Timandjim Ltd., and opened a burger and hot dog joint, in North Bay, Ontario.
Hamburgers didn’t sell as well as Horton had hoped, so in April 1964, he and Charade opened the first of the Tim Hortons that we know today on the site of an old Esso gas station in Hamilton, Ontario.

Maybe this is why Timandjim didn't stay in the hamburger industry, they couldn't spell it (look @ the sign)

According to the company,
Tim Horton, a National Hockey League Legend, opened the first store in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, in April 1964.
https://timhortons.co.uk/our-history.php
https://www.timhortons.ca/about-us

And, according to Canadian History Ehx:
“... Most NHL players did not make a lot of money in the 1960s and with a wife and four daughters, Horton needed to find a way to make some extra cash. He would open a hamburger shop in Scarborough, and a car dealership in Toronto but it was that donut shop that has his name that proved to be the golden ticket.
Tim Horton had always wanted to have a restaurant. He would meet a man by the name of Jim Charade, a businessman from Montreal, who owned a donut shop two doors down from Horton’s favourite barber. The two men decided to form Timanjim Ltd. They opened four restaurants that served burgers and chicken, and then another that served something different, donuts.
When he opened that first Tim Hortons donut shop on May 17, 1964, coffee was sold for a quarter and donuts, only two types both created by Horton, the apple fritter and the Dutchie, but that quickly expanded until there were as many as 40 varieties of donuts to choose from. The original promo that appeared in the newspaper on May 15, 1964, advertised the business as the Tim Horton Donut Drive-In, complete with a picture of Horton. Coffee was sold for 10 cents a cup and donuts were 69 cents...
... As for that first store, today there is a small museum at the store on 65 Ottawa Street in Hamilton, where there is also a replica of the original 1964 sign, as well as a bronze plaque that commemorates the opening. It states, “This site is dedicated to the dream that lived in the hearts of Tim Horton and Ron Joyce to the commitment and dedication of the operators who have built the Tim Hortons chain; and to the people of Hamilton, whose undying loyalty has been the backbone of our chain’s success. This location signifies the history and heritage of Tim Hortons and will serve as a monument to even bigger dreams to come.”
Canadian History Ehx: The Origin of Tim Hortons

Old 28-11-2020, 10:50   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
I grew up in North Bay Ontario in the 60's. The actual first Tim Horton's was in (Ferris at the time) North Bay
I'm sure the people of North Bay need it more () but technically the first was Charade's shop in Scarborough: https://www.blogto.com/city/2013/12/...f_tim_hortons/
Old 28-11-2020, 11:28   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tim Horton had initially tried several different business ideas, including a chain of hamburger restaurants
Why are they called hamburgers?
Old 28-11-2020, 12:56   #6

Tim's is a quintessential Canadian company: boasts loudly about how Canadian they are...is actually American 🤦*♂️
Old 28-11-2020, 12:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why are they called hamburgers?
The name "hamburger" comes from the seaport town of Hamburg, Germany, where it is thought that 19th-century sailors brought back the idea of raw shredded beef (known today as beef tartare) after trading with the Baltic provinces of Russia. Eventually, some anonymous chef decided to cook the beef.

According Madeline Wahl, there's much more to the story:
“... Leave it to the Romans to develop concepts that will be used thousands of years later. Along with the idea of bound books, roads, and newspapers, the Romans in the 1st century AD may have contributed to the first concept of something that may have looked like a hamburger with flavors including ground or minced meat with pepper, wine flavorings, and pine nuts ...”
Lots more https://www.rd.com/article/why-is-it...theres-no-ham/

Old 28-11-2020, 13:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
Tim's is a quintessential Canadian company: boasts loudly about how Canadian they are...is actually American 🤦*♂️
Not exactly.
The Canadian holding company, Restaurant Brands International, owns Tim Hortons, and Burger King.
In turn, Restaurant Brands International is majority-owned by the Brazilian investment firm, 3G Capital. 3G Capital has offices in Rio de Janeiro and New York City.
https://www.3g-capital.com/about.html

Old 28-11-2020, 13:53   #9

No matter what, Tim Bits are a fun indulgence when in Canada. Ha ha
Old 28-11-2020, 14:01   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chotu I would like to blame Tim Hortons Tim Bits and a Double Double for the start of my egg on legs shape. We certainly drank and ate a fair bit at Tim Hortons. There was one right next to where the Square Rigger Fair Jean we were working on was docked in Kingston Ontario.
On another note the other day I noticed here in Australia that Krispy Kreme is now doing doughnut bites!
Cheers
Old 28-11-2020, 14:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Chotu I would like to blame Tim Hortons Tim Bits and a Double Double for the start of my egg on legs shape. We certainly drank and ate a fair bit at Tim Hortons. There was one right next to where the Square Rigger Fair Jean we were working on was docked in Kingston Ontario.
On another note the other day I noticed here in Australia that Krispy Kreme is now doing doughnut bites!
Cheers

Oh no!!! Ha ha ha.

I was careful to only get them like once every couple weeks at most. And the smallest box

Now those beaver tail things fit the tourists in Ottawa. THOSE could go some quick damage!

And I had no idea Krispy Kreme was in Australia. No kidding. I do know they tried getting foothold in Canada and Canadians as a whole weren’t interested.
Old 28-11-2020, 14:27   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chotu, Krispy Kreme went broke here once and now they are trying a come back. A bit like Starbucks here.
I had to google Beaver Tail and see what it was. I ate something similar last week at the Bundaberg markets except for it was a Hungarian Langos.
Not sure what this all has to do with cruising, but I was in Bundaberg to survey a Simpson cat so I suppose that is a connection.
Cheers
Old 28-11-2020, 20:12   #13

Thanks Gord
Old 28-11-2020, 21:25   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
So the story goes, the first Tim Horton's was in Hamilton Ontario. NOT TRUE!!

I grew up in North Bay Ontario in the 60's. The actual first Tim Horton's was in (Ferris at the time) North Bay and sold burgers and fries. I remember my parents taking me there after swimming lessons in Lake Nippissing. How many Cdn's know that??

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...tory-1.2649443
Used to drive through North Bay on the way to Red Lake before boarding a puddle jumper to a moose camp in the middle of nowhere. Very fond memories of being “nowhere” for a couple weeks.
Old 29-11-2020, 01:51   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

My local petrol station has a Tim Horton’s , meh , usual massively over sweet American style doughnuts that stay “fresh” for ages , yuk . with all these large volume coffee setups it’s getter harder and harder to get a decent coffee

Back from Greece , after buying the boat , was surprised its one of the top consumers of coffee and has priced 4 world winning baristas in the last few years , now that a country to get coffee ( not a automatic machine to be seen anyway either )