Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 12:02   #31

Boat: Silverton 42
The mini tender is a good idea but there's 4 in our dinghy so that won't work. In my book, I would still be a trespasser at a private marina and that's not within my comfort zone. I believe that the private marina has every right to charge for a dinghy tie up. Its nice when they don't - but I understand that they can and its justifiable. What's not justifiable in my book is gouging. To be fair, my dinghy is almost 13' with a 25 hp on the back (of course, the marina has no clue about its size becasue they don't look when quoting $5.00 per hour and it isn't based on size). Either $5.00 per hour is reasonable or its not. As to Ex-Calif's point - he's right - they can charge what they want even $100.00 (flat rate or per hour) - that's up to them. But who would pay it? My point here is either don't allow any dinghy tie ups or be reasonable about a policy for tie ups (free or reasonable charge). I'd gladly pay $5.00 per 4 hours.....
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 12:51   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
What every Dink needs:
Would be a perfect solution to all my dinghy related needs, if only she was wearing...........a hat
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 14:10   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It isn't just about leaving the dinghy--my vote for the worst marina ripoff goes to Crown Point Marina in St Thomas. After spending $100 at the fuel dock, they wanted another $20 for me to drop off one crewmember while I was on the dock. Will I ever go back???
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 14:20   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Huh? How could they possibly enforce that? Sorry sir, if you don't get back on the boat, I will .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It isn't just about leaving the dinghy--my vote for the worst marina ripoff goes to Crown Point Marina in St Thomas. After spending $100 at the fuel dock, they wanted another $20 for me to drop off one crewmember while I was on the dock. Will I ever go back???
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 14:31   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 28, hull 317, Kittiwake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I have faced a range of dinghy fees. I'm home-based in Annapolis so I'm spoiled by a city that requires any street ending in the water provide free access for dinghies - you can't leave your dinghy for more than 24 hours without approval of the Harbormaster who is a very reasonable guy.

Recently I have used other facilities:

Hospitality Harbor, Solomons MD $5 / day provides use of the dinghy dock and access to showers and laundry - walk to grocery
Correction - Hospitality Harbor is now called Solomons Harbor Marina, and the fee is $2.00 per day for dinghy tie up and trash - NO access to showers, and the laundromat is closed - you can still walk to the grocery, WM, etc...
KittiwakeCD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 18:17   #36

Dink's of the world - unite!
Old 13-07-2010, 18:28   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I once had a guy try to charge me a tie-up fee, and I said, "Oh, I'm just gonna buy a bag of ice."

He let me go ahead, which meant I got a free bag of ice for half the price of the tie-up fee. Of course, his only other option would have been to lose my business completely.
Old 13-07-2010, 18:34   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
What every Dink needs:
yeah, but the real question here is whether it's a bluewater dink. I mean, it's blue, and it's in the water, and it's a dink, but... but... but....

Nevermind.
Old 14-07-2010, 06:33   #39

Port Browning (BC) used to let you tie up for free and this season they started charging $5.00 to tie up for the day - unless you spent money at the marina. Seems fair, but there's a government dock not much further away so they've lost my business. So I figured out what this means - I have no problems paying the big bucks associated with power boating - but in all things, I hate being "nickled and dime'd" to death.
Old 14-07-2010, 14:37   #40

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
We have a joke in Alaska about British Columbia. BC stands for "bring cash."
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 15:52   #41

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
OK, what did you do to pi$$ 'em off? I was just there a few weeks ago and asked to walk over to the dumpster to get rid of some trash after refueling (for a lot more than $100, btw) and it was no problem!

OTOH, we took the dinghy in to pick up a large package (80 lbs/36kilos) at the "mail store" and when we tied up the dinghy for 5 minutes, they were all over us!

"You can't tie your dinghy there!"

The marina was nearly empty with no traffic, so I just ignored the screaming, got my package and left. 3 of the 5 minutes were spent listening to the marina gal yell at us.

Back to the OP, sorry for the drift, but don started it!

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 18:13   #42

Hey Mike,
np - and I didn't consider your post as thread drift. I think I'll give an extra big thank you to those wonderful marinas who let you dock without any hassle. THANKS! My degree of enthusiasm goes down exponentially from that....
Old 15-07-2010, 05:47   #43

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Had to pay the Provincetown Harbormaster $210 for a yearly dinghy permit, but I'm staying two months and it's worth it. Good dock and secure and right in the center of town. I've paid $1500 a week to be here many times and living on the water is the best. Been coming here for 60 years and I love it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:31   #44

Hi Lorenzo,
That's less than 2 and a half cents per hour - pretty cheap if ya ask me....
Old 18-07-2010, 20:55   #45
cruiser

In Canada , any beach below the highest water mark is public property, and charging would be criminal fraud. In BC we have public access every 1200 feet. We some times have to educate foreign owners of waterfront property of this . A Mexican told me, in Mexico it is public property for several meters above high water.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking