Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 02:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
What can I say that hasnt already been said?

All that remains to be said are the words that many find offensive.

MANDATORY POPULATION CONTROL
mind you with the amount of mercury and other heavy metals found in tuna these days,eating fish might become self regulating..........re poulation control,couple that with antibiotics in beef,and the vegans my inherit the earth..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:40   #17

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Maybe three headed fish are the way forward. Three times the meat. One well known group of people love to eat fish heads and rice.
Old 09-09-2011, 18:03   #18

There would be more fish if the seal herds were reduced. Often they take one bite out of a cod and it's left to die. But the tree huggers don't like seals being hunted.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:17   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

their would be more fish if other bigger fish didn't eat them as well.....think its called nature......problem is man comes along and takes every thing and doesn't decriminate between slow and wounded fish like seals do
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
There would be more fish if the seal herds were reduced. Often they take one bite out of a cod and it's left to die. But the tree huggers don't like seals being hunted.
Agreed that seals are part of the problem, especially on the east coast of Canada.

But they really are only part of the issue. The far bigger issue is our (man's) use of the resources in unsustainable ways. Bottom trawlers have a far greater impact on edible fish viability then 50,000 seals.

BTW, I'm not crazy about seal meat, but sure do love the fur. Makes great coats and especially winter boots that last forever.
Old 09-09-2011, 20:10   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It boils down to too many people on this planet. The growth of the human population will only be curbed when the demand for food matches the amount of food produced. This is what limits populations in most species. Humans are not there yet but will eventually be if we cannot curb our reproduction rate.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 20:11   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Deep sea fishing not sustainable-study

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The United States has a program (CRP-conservation reserve progam which also pays farmers not to grow crops.

So how would you discriminate between species? That is part of the problem right now, with seine, long line and trawlers; everything gets scooped up, and the "by catch" usually gets dumped into the sea, dead.

Not being able to target species is part of the problem.
Actually the USA has had in effect restrictions on commercial fishing for decades. You have to have a license for each specie you want to harvest and there are quota and regulations on how you can fish/harvest/catch them.
- - In the rag sheet "Boats and Harbors" there is a regular section where these licenses are posted and traded/sold/bought. You just cannot go out and drop a drag net and commercially harvest fish in the USA. You have to have a very expensive license and follow the regulations.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 20:15   #23

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I'm a tree hugger, but I barbeque 4-5 seals every fall for winter stores. I do use decomposed trees for the burner, not living ones.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I will go against the common thread here when I say that our biomass as primates is not the problem. Even if the overpopulation of the world were the problem, how are you going to solve it? The population of primates that I am a subspecies of (WASP) has been in negative population growth for many years. Are you going to go tell another group of people how to live? You could present an argument that is how many of the wars that we are currently seeing get started.
What I see as the problem is that we consume so many resources without a second thought. This is behavior we can change without hearing gunfire. Eating red meat is a order of magnitude bigger in consumption of resources than eating grains and veges, with fish being somewhere in the middle. Solar panels on the roof will take care of about all my energy needs- and I can save up the money for them by not eating out, and generally being more frugal. Some people feel I am just trying to ruin their fun, but I still seem to be able to enjoy life. I am just not as worried about it all falling down around me.
BTW- the Salmon are having a great season in the NW this year. Why? Not because they haven't fished them, they are fished more than ever. It is because serious steps have been taken to restore their habitat-esp the wild rivers and streams they depend on for spawning.
An adult Orca will eat 3 ton of Salmon a day- sorry I just don't feel bad about my 200 grams of Salmon once a week.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:55   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
An adult Orca will eat 3 ton of Salmon a day- sorry I just don't feel bad about my 200 grams of Salmon once a week.
I wonder what Orca tastes like?

(ducking and running!)
Old 13-09-2011, 11:58   #26

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Being from pig farming stock (my dad), I found a comment made by my Cultural Anthropology professor back in the 70's quite interesting. He claimed human tasted just like pork...kind of food for thought you might say. But I do like my seafood.
Soylent Green anyone?
Old 13-09-2011, 12:02   #27

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I wonder what Orca tastes like?
Like oceanic dolphins.
Old 13-09-2011, 13:14   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
. . . An adult Orca will eat 3 ton of Salmon a day- sorry I just don't feel bad about my 200 grams of Salmon once a week.
One reason for the rebound may also be as stated in: Factory Farmed vs Wild Salmon | Mark's Daily Apple

"First off, salmon farms of some kind make up about 80% of salmon on the market today. (In the United States, the number is higher – 90% by some estimates.) Thirty percent come from traditional hatcheries, and the remaining 50% are raised in aquaculture or “open pen nets” just off shore. Farms can “raise” up to a million salmon at a time."

- - Aquaculture is raising mega-tons of all sorts of fish, shellfish and other formerly "wild caught" food.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 14:15   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Like oceanic dolphins.
Ahhhhh... so a cross between bald eagle and parrot then.

Yummmm.
Old 13-09-2011, 17:47   #30

Okay this kinda hits on one of my nerves..im a commercial fisherman and I get tired of the crap we get about raping the seas ect...every boat I've wrked on has been extremely careful of what we do. Not to say every company or boat does the same but the majority does...
We have enough equipment to target a certain species and that's exactly what we get...I have never ever seen a "by" catch excede more then 15 or 20 fish and if abel they are thrown back. I have wrkd on drift neters purse sainers trap boats stick boats long liners ...u name it I fished for it....there are strict laws of quanity and believe me they are inforced....eacb year there is more laws making it harder for a man to feed his familey because of hippie environmentalist groups swear up and down we are killing tbe ocean...I love the oceans more then I do land in fact...all of our planet but I personally feel 90% of these studies are propaganda .....okay sorry....im done. And I will admit I didn't read the hole study....I got mad and had ta b@#$h for a min. Don't take my head off either ..im to prity for that
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing