Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 16:28   #1

Day-Sailing Destinations

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a resort or hotel that has several good day sailing fleets like Hobie, JY, Laser, J22 and similar.

I have found the Bitter End Yacht Club which is exceptionally expensive, and Sunsail Club Colonna which is exceptionally cheap.

I am targeting the Mediterranean.

Thanks,
Ted
yelkenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:31   #2

oops. I meant to say I am interested in the Caribbean.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A lot of the Caribbean resorts have small cats like the 13' Hobie Wave. I've seen them sailing around the anchorages of most of the larger islands when we were cruising. Sandals (St Lucia), several of the Antigua resorts, etc. The Bitter End is the ultimate Caribbean sailing resort destination, though.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Just about every reasonably sized resort on a beach on any of the islands of the Caribbean has "water-sports" equipment available for their guests including Hobie/kayak/small runabouts. So pick any island that interests you and look up their resorts on the web. Ones located on beaches will have plenty for you.
- - Picking an island is pretty much determined by whether you want a developed cosmopolitan environment with access to modern conveniences and shopping, like the Virgins or a more "back to nature" island experience like Dominica & St Vincent and other "non-tourist" islands. These typically have "eco-resorts" buried in the forest/jungle.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04   #5

Thanks for the replies. I have visited a resort in Belize, and two in Turkey, and the quality of the boats were poor. they could be sailed, but had some form of neglect. A third resort in Turkey I noticed had a nice fleet of catamarans. so you never know what you are getting.

Also, you know how advertising is. All the hotels will claim to have the best water sports equipment.

For these reasons I posted my thread. I will look at TripAdvisor for some of the ones you recommend and see if there are any comments. Thanks.

We are most interested in a place that has sailing, really good food, a beach, and can provide some day trips for sight seeing or other activities. Other than that, we are not too picky about the location. We would lean more towards quiet though.

Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Ted

Tags
day sailing