Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 01:48   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Dating Locals While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No more than two weeks to register a boat in Canada if you know the routine. As a TC Appointed Tonnage measurer I'm involved in 3-6 registry's per month.

My son married a Korean girl in Korea...... 30 days to get her a visa and she had to stay in Canada for 18 months to get her citizenship..... no big deal. They now live and work in Netherlands.
My sister (UK) is engaged to a Canadian... Making them both jump through hoops financially and otherwise... times have changed...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Long term could work if you plan on staying out there.. however I believe the US authorities frowns on its citizens getting hitched to foreigners..
US has no issue with foreign wives. IF THEY ARE LEGITMATE.

Too many people scamming the system result in the authorities being skeptical particularly for short engagements or where there are other red flags.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:48   #33

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I think mutual cultural respect is the key. Ive seen a number of anglo foreigner males get involved with Caribbean/Latin women and develop what appear to be good healthy long term relationships/marriages.

Ive also seen things go very wrong in such "relationships" more often than not...I think a lot of what goes wrong is due to less than honorable intentions on either, or both, sides from the start.

One friend of mine married a local girl, built a house, adopted her kids...he was ecstatically happy...then the money ran out (financial planning was never his strong suit)...and she dropped him like a hot rock...he was crushed...very sad.
Ohhhh.. You mean when some 40-50 year old man or woman is stupid enough to think that their 20 year old playmate is actually in love with him/her and not for a visa or his/her money which BTW is seen by him/her as security for the family and so marries up.. True enough, but those persons who do not use good judgement and prefer fantasy to reality pretty much get what they put out as depicted in your post. There are many lonely people in the world and it's a sad thing to see them used, but the fact is that most did not use good judgement in the first place so they get what they got.. Be sensible and more times than not, these horror stories will not happen to you.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:51   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'm in Marigot as I type this, lol.
Splashed my boat Wednesday morning at TOBY. Dropped my wife at the airport on Friday, and I'm back in Anguilla now.. Sorry we didn't get to meet up.. Internet on the hook in SXM is a bit dicey sometimes..

Wish you all the best..
Old 19-03-2017, 05:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Long term could work if you plan on staying out there.. however I believe the US authorities frowns on its citizens getting hitched to foreigners..
Really?? And just what did you base this post on if I may ask? Personal experience? Perhaps you practice international law do you?

The FACT of the matter is that is does indeed take a while to sort out and is quite expensive. But it's actually easier for an American who lives aboard and cruises to get the paperwork, visa and 2 year green card followed up by 10 year green card and finally citizenship in that order completed than the landlubbers. As an American cruiser, you will have no issues checking into any port with your new found S/O with exception of US ports. Checking in and out together is what builds your case that you indeed have a relationship which is all that ICIS wishes to verify.
Old 19-03-2017, 05:16   #36

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Ohhhh.. You mean when some 40-50 year old man or woman is stupid enough to think that their 20 year old playmate is actually in love with him/her and not for a visa or his/her money which BTW is seen by him/her as security for the family and so marries up.. True enough, but those persons who do not use good judgement and prefer fantasy to reality pretty much get what they put out as depicted in your post. There are many lonely people in the world and it's a sad thing to see them used, but the fact is that most did not use good judgement in the first place so they get what they got.. Be sensible and more times than not, these horror stories will not happen to you.
Don't underestimate love mate. Me present girlfriend is 23 years younger than me and we are doing fine. Nothing to do with money as we both live on our own expeces..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 07:54   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yes, loads of them. Or, they dont actually care one way or the other. Some of the old gringos I know I dont think have ever actually had a healthly mature relationship with a woman...so she might as well be very young or just a hooker.

In Guatemala you definitely see families encouraging their young daughter to hook up with the old gringo because the whole family benefits...imagine his surprise when the whole family moves in. :what:

Guatemalan women even have a phrase for it "el hombre de mi visa" (the man of/for my visa).

Have another gringo friend for whom a relationship that half-jokingly started off this way worked out well. When he and his Guatemalan girlfriend first started dating she said half-jokingly "you give me papers, I give you sex!". Thrity+ years later they are still married.

Have seen this work the other way round in Belize. White women come down and hook up with a local rasta boy. They look all happy at first, then over about 6 months reality sets in, after being beaten a few times and acquiring a couple of STDs (because Rasta Boy is still screwing anything with a pulse)...they get this shell shocked look...accentuated by a few fading facial bruises. Rasta Boy's dream, openly experessed by many, is to find a "rich" white woman who will take care of him so he never has to do anything ever again...except of course hang out, drink, smoke dope, and screw. Generally, they dont really care about visas because they have no intention of working wherever they are anyway.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:49   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, if you are single, you can date whomever you want. I cannot see any difference vs. dating locally in your own country.

Some of my sailing friends are mixed backgrounds and skin tones. I think they are as great sailing/life partnerships as any other. Color is only skin deep, what matters is your feelings and your and your partner's happiness.

I wish you all the best and hope you will find love and happiness wherever you are.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Don't underestimate love mate. Me present girlfriend is 23 years younger than me and we are doing fine. Nothing to do with money as we both live on our own expeces..
And I wish you all the best mate.. There is as with all things in life, exceptions to the rule, but I've seen and heard more relationship horror stories where there is a large age gap than when there is not.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, loads of them. Or, they dont actually care one way or the other. Some of the old gringos I know I dont think have ever actually had a healthly mature relationship with a woman...so she might as well be very young or just a hooker.

In Guatemala you definitely see families encouraging their young daughter to hook up with the old gringo because the whole family benefits...imagine his surprise when the whole family moves in. :what:

Guatemalan women even have a phrase for it "el hombre de mi visa" (the man of/for my visa).

Have another gringo friend for whom a relationship that half-jokingly started off this way worked out well. When he and his Guatemalan girlfriend first started dating she said half-jokingly "you give me papers, I give you sex!". Thrity+ years later they are still married.

Have seen this work the other way round in Belize. White women come down and hook up with a local rasta boy. They look all happy at first, then over about 6 months reality sets in, after being beaten a few times and acquiring a couple of STDs (because Rasta Boy is still screwing anything with a pulse)...they get this shell shocked look...accentuated by a few fading facial bruises. Rasta Boy's dream, openly experessed by many, is to find a "rich" white woman who will take care of him so he never has to do anything ever again...except of course hang out, drink, smoke dope, and screw. Generally, they dont really care about visas because they have no intention of working wherever they are anyway.
The Dominican Republic has words for it as well.. The Dominican men that hustle tourist women for money, marriage, or visas are called "Sankies". There is even a movie about it called "Sanky Panky". It was so popular, that they made version 2..

The Dominican Chicas that land themselves a "WU Novio" are just called Lucky while the foreign men shelling out the cash every month are called Western Union Boyfriends. I just call them hard up.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:18   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Most of them are horrified by the open water

(...)
Most people are. So this is not something locally specific.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:47   #42

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Splashed my boat Wednesday morning at TOBY. Dropped my wife at the airport on Friday, and I'm back in Anguilla now.. Sorry we didn't get to meet up.. Internet on the hook in SXM is a bit dicey sometimes..

Wish you all the best..
No troubles, enjoy the fine weather and wind!
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising