Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 15:48   #16

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Then sometime a Flag is just a Flag....
Old 28-10-2008, 16:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Not to throw gas on a fire but......If you associate the skull and crossbones that I think most here would accept as the symbol of pirating over 200 years ago with the lawless bastards that happen to board ships and yachts today then I think that might be a bit of a stretch.

We fly the bones whenever the kids are onboard and we dress like pirates of old when we feel the need to be silly.
I doubt any of my boys will grow up to be ocean going criminals and I know they wont have any less compassion for those who have lost their lives on the high seas.

We have had Navy fighter squadrons use the skull crossbones as their symbol and we have SEAL platoons that use it as well. I would never equate a pirate flag with a Nazi symbol or Confederate flag. I think that's a bit much. In my old job I encountered a few modern day "pirates" though we always referred to them as maritime terrorists and none of them were flying flags and none them used terms like Aaarggh, matey or any other language that we might associate with the Jolly Roger.
Any way, not looking to offend anyone and I am glad we all have our own opinions. That's just mine on the matter.
We'll continue to fly the bones and pretend we're bloodthirsty pirates until the boys tire of the game.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 17:27   #18

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I also said that I respect peoples right to fly the Jolly Roger. People can fly whatever flag they wish. If someone wants to fly the Israeli flag in an Arab port or fly the Nazi flag in Israel then be my guest...it won't be me throwing rocks at their boat. I will certainly understand why it happened if someone else throws rocks...not that I agree with it.

Sometimes you need to use some common sense on which flag you choose to fly. That there might be a worse flag to fly does not justify flying a less worse flag. Two wrongs never make it right.

I think my opinion is rather libertarian. I am probably one of the least politically correct people on this planet.

Cheers!
Fly what you want to fly, but understand some people get pissed at it.

As for the Confederate Flag, I think a lot of people ASSIGN a lot of blame and bad things to that flag.

The Civil War was NOT all about Slavery. That was a PART of the war and only a part - but it became a big part. I'd urge people to research things before the make rash assumptions regarding history.

On the other hand, the Jolly Roger is indeed associated with pirates and pirates were bad boys. They weren't good guys like Disney movies and these days if you fly one, I can imagine the US Navy MIGHT JUST shoot first, ask questions later.

That's something to consider.

As for my thoughts on political correctness... it's the worst thing that has happened to this planet since World War II.

Perhaps some day our children will figure that out.

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 17:42   #19

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
This is really unbelievable....

The poster simply asked about artistic opinions on a piece of decoration....

Then no less than a MODERATOR basically flames him....

No one could possibly believe this represented any form of support or justification for real piracy... Get Real... It is decor not a declaration of war... it is simply a form of expression in pure fun.

You can not say you do not support political correctness and apply it is this case!!

The post was about a piece of nautical decor... it is just a decoration flag.. don't take everything so politically whether you "think" you are not... or not.

lighten up a bit... you appear to have driven the poster away with all the condemnation over a very silly point stretched to the extreme and beyond
Old 28-10-2008, 17:59   #20

Boat: Beneteau 473
That's certainly more well put than what I said
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 18:54   #21
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

No one could possibly believe this represented any form of support or justification for real piracy... Get Real... It is decor not a declaration of war... it is simply a form of expression in pure fun.

You can not say you do not support political correctness and apply it is this case!!

The post was about a piece of nautical decor... it is just a decoration flag.. don't take everything so politically whether you "think" you are not... or not.

lighten up a bit... you appear to have driven the poster away with all the condemnation over a very silly point stretched to the extreme and beyond
I don't think it's a declaration of war.

In your opinion, it's just a decoration.

In MANY people's minds it's just a decoration.

Obviously, looking at this thread, not everyone feels that way.

A coaster with a ships wheel painted on it is just a decoration. But the wheel stands for something. It stands for the wheel used to steer a boat. The pirate flag may just be a decoration, but it still stands for something. It just stands for different things to different people.

I remember when it was a symbol for poison.

I remember when it was a universal symbol for defying authority (al la Hell's Angels)

Thing is, I don't remember it ever standing for anything positive.

But, before you think I am saying flying it should be a crime, be sure to refer back to my original post (the bold type WAS part of the original):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Well phrased. Part of me thinks the symbol doesn't really stand for what it used to, so no harm. And I can definitely look at the above and see interesting art. But I won't ever fly one myself. Just doesn't feel right.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:00   #22
Kai Nui

If you research the Jollly Roger, you will find it was only confirmed to have been used by 4 pirates. In general, pirates used a solid black or red flag.
Old 28-10-2008, 21:19   #23
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
If you research the Jollly Roger, you will find it was only confirmed to have been used by 4 pirates. In general, pirates used a solid black or red flag.
Thanks for posting that. I wasn't sure. Which is why I didn't even mention that heritage in my post. Figured I'd just let that part go free rather than show my ignorance...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:21   #24
Kai Nui

I am not worried about looking dumb. I do it often enough, I have developed an immunity
Old 30-10-2008, 10:45   #25

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
WOW good thing I changed my tonythepirate1 user name!
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:58   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

I have to disagree with you on two points:
1. I did not attack greenman
2. I dont think greenman felt attacked.

What you did was assume that greenman posting his artistry had something to do with my opinion about flying the Jolly Roger off of a boat. There is no connection.

Read carefully what I said again. I did not flame anyone. Notice that what I did say is that everyone has the right to fly whatever flag they wish. I also said I understand the two sides of the issue.

Also, greenman later replied, "I think flying a Jolly Rogers now is similar to middle aged Dentists buying a Harley and Leathers." ...which I thought was pretty funny and shows no signs of feeling like he was attacked. In fact, he tends to agree that it is at the very least, a rather geeky thing to do. Do you now believe me? I clearly was not attacking him personally or "flaming" him, as you accuse me of.

I stated my opinion on the subject matter without attacking anyone. As a member, I do have that "right" as defined by the Rules of the Forum as long as it is done respectfully and in good taste.

On this other issue, if anyone wants to take offense at my opinion, it needs to be those who do fly the Jolly Roger off their boat. I have no idea if the original poster even has a boat. We should not be getting bent out of shape about people voicing their opinions in here anyways. Voicing ones opinion is one of the purposes of this forum. I don't like the idea of flying that flag, others are not bothered by it. Can we agree to disagree?..and leave it at that?

Do we have the same definition of political correctness? My definition of political correctness are ideas that come from the political Left that define what you should and should not do. Does saying "people should be allowed to fly whatever flag they want" define what people should and should not do? No, clearly not.

I finished up my post saying to greenman that "Both (flags) are very creative designs and I applaud your talent." ...which I genuinely do.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 11:03   #27

LOL Former tonythepirate1...... Just don't accept any e-mails that have an attachment of TAR & Feathers

Sometimes we just take ourselves and other things too seriously.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:20   #28

I'm not going to even reply to nonsense, not worth it. Is there anything I can help with.

Remember Life's a reach until you gybe!
Old 30-10-2008, 11:22   #29

and thanks i'll be sure to hide the materials before going to the bar for some dark and stormies.
Old 30-10-2008, 15:05   #30

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
The one with the "Bling Skull" is just goofy, I was trying to replicate a T-Shirt I have into a flag design. The other os actually a rendition of a Greenman which is kinda a pagan like symbol (thats way over simplified, but I am too lazy to type alot) and as far away from actual pirates as you can get, minus the possible whole human sacrifices thing the Druids may have done.

Anyhoo, sorry for causing so much controversy, time for some Gossling's and OJ .
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote