Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 15:10   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Cruising and the "news"

Watching the "news" is really just getting to be sound bites said in a loud voice that I guess is suppose to make me believe them. So I'm really trying to stop watching it, but have a hard time doing so in the name of being informed.

So the question is: when out cruising do cruisers still try to stay informed or do they finally make it to the "screw it" stage of just having a good time and not really letting what is going on the rest of world concern them?
Old 17-09-2012, 15:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: cruising and the "news"

The news is my favorite soap opera and just like any other soap opera you can miss a few episodes and fall right back into the story. I'm without it for weeks at a time and then, when I'm back, it's as if I never left!
Old 17-09-2012, 15:25   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Never waste time watching the news. TV news is shallow and sensationalist. Grab it online, via Google News, NYT, Reuters, AP, Salon, Slate, HuffPo, Politico, overseas news sites, etc. You get more depth and no commercials. While coastal cruising you can get all this on your phone. Bluewater cruising. . . . Well, catch up later.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 15:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Have not watched the news or read a newspaper for over 15 years. The news over here is geared to ratings and uses sensationalism to get them. It is manipulated by either the owners or the big business that runs the whole shemozzle and most of the reports bear little resemblance to the truth.

Even if you do watch it, you then see something that you disagree with, what can you do? All that happens is that you get steamed up over it, bugger up your day,then get over it and do the same thing tomorrow.

Much more peaceful being ignorant sometimes.

Coops.
Old 17-09-2012, 15:55   #5
cruiser

We never watch TV while on the boat.... 'don't have one... don't want one. The boat is our retreat to get away from the continuous news cycle.

Once every couple of days, I do check the Wall Street Journal via internet to stay informed.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:04   #6

I was cruising the carribean during the Clinton/Moninski (sp?)debacle. It was on the news when we left Fl and still on the news when we got back a year or so later.!

"The news over here is geared to ratings and uses sensationalism to get them. It is manipulated by either the owners or the big business that runs the whole shemozzle and most of the reports bear little resemblance to the truth. .."
Ditto for the usa.... every winter if we get a few inches of snow... it goes on for days "the Winter Blast" ...etc... They seldom ask the hard questions like journalist's should... anymore most these people are just actors really.... where's Edward R Murrow when you need him?

I have to give some credit to a couple of the local TV stations though, they are harassing the out of control Sheriff and Police dept's pretty well.... although nothing seems to come of it....
There's one local Deputy who put an innocent unrelated man into a coma for life, has pages and pages of complaints, cost King Co something like 10 million dollars .... and still on the job! It was even recommended at the training academy that they not hire him!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:15   #7

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

Was out cruising for ten months this past year. rarely caught the news, didn't miss it. When ever I did tune in they were talking about the same BS as a month before. I tracked the weather carefully. Only news that really made a difference in my life.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:26   #8

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

I'm with you, Coops. I've caught them lying so often on issues I knew about personally that there's no trust.

Remember one beat-up on "A Current Affair" (ca 2003) about cheap housing, where a guy supposedly living in a shack on government land at Era Beach - south of Sydney, near Wollongong - was interviewed as "proof" that you could live off the land.

What they failed to mention is that the interview had taken place in the 70's, and that it was a shack he inherited from a distant relative who had lived there during the depression. No new buildings could be erected, and he only visited there once every six months. His real dwelling was round the corner from Queen St, Woollahra and his actual rent was astronomical.

Action-packed ********.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:27   #9

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I used to work with NBC years ago, and the news is ALL BS!

They make up the crap and edit things to say what they want.

Katie Couric is a lying scumbag!

The only one that I liked was Campbell Brown. She was a real sweetheart.

I haven't watched the news since then, and now I don't even have TV.

Life is better without the box!
Old 17-09-2012, 17:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

We only watch foxtel at home here, never the news though and even the weather channels are into the beat up now. No longer do we have "a few days of wet weather coming" it is now " a significant rain event is approaching"

Coops.
Old 17-09-2012, 17:13   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

PLEASE!!!!! NO oversensationalized bs news!!!! i know usa hasnt folded--i still have an income...pres didnt get assassinated. we are not at war with anyone new of late. there are way too many bored folks in places needing awake souls.... no i dont miss news reports--i never did enjoy the bs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 17:23   #12

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I can remember about 10 or so years ago we were in the Bahamas. The only news we got was a 20 second headline update on the local morning cruisers net. We would hear from time to time that Bush was rattling his sabre about Iraq. I told my wife, don't worry he will never attack.

Of course he did and I was pretty shocked when it happened. I always wondered if I were in the states and getting "good" news coverage- the NY Times, CNN and NBC Nightly News, would I have a better appreciation of how that pot was boiling and that it was about to boil over. Don't know for sure, but I think I would have understood better and been less surprised.

But if you don't care about stuff like that, enjoy another tequila Sheila.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 17:34   #13

Boat: Gib sea 43

Never looked at the news much before i left to go cruising, certainly don;t look at it much now!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 18:53   #14

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I used to feel I HAD to watch the news to be an informed, responsible citizen.

We left Aus on 14/2 this year. I told Sandy I was taking her to a greek restaurant for Valentines Day, but it happened to be in Athens, and we got there a day late.

We haven't watched the news or even tv since then. Don't miss it at all, and I really thought I would. We don't even find time to watch dvds now.

If anything is really important, someone will tell us about it. We watch the weather when we're sailing, and probably should now, but don't.

Is the planet still warming, or has someone discovered it's cooling?
Anyone found a cure for cancer, or the common cold?

Ok, so nothing's changed.
Now what's the best way to keep brightwork looking good in the tropics???

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 18:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
PLEASE!!!!! NO oversensationalized bs news!!!! i know usa hasnt folded--i still have an income...pres didnt get assassinated. we are not at war with anyone new of late. there are way too many bored folks in places needing awake souls.... no i dont miss news reports--i never did enjoy the bs.
Not at war with anyone new!?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising