Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 10:16   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruising & the coming storm~recession, depression, climate change, peak oil

i believe in just go and worry about the bs later when it springs up its ugly lil head....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:30   #92

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Cruising & the coming storm~recession, depression, climate change, peak oil

If I read a few posts here correctly,some handy reductivist thinking here on the nature of civilization that (intended or not) carries a message which allows people the excuse to abdicate on their responsibility to attempt to affect change. "We have met the enemy and (s)he is us!" as Pogo would have it. Not a lot of patience for those who would lay the responsibility for social ills on the "gov't." in the first world particularly. How doe we re-pay for the wealth and health that allows us the joy and luxury of recreating/boating?
Leaving ones country to cruise/escape is a serious decision and a luxury for most of us here. I say most because at 58 w/o a job in my economy I cannot afford a land-based life or even a slip aymore even if I wanted it. Though I worked in the civil justice movement for ten years as an attempt to repay my country I won't blame gov't for the conditions that force me out. I've made plenty of mistakes with money, just glad I was able to buy Molly B and own my home outright!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:26   #93

Re: Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil

Well, here we are, 7 years after the original post. The world has not collapsed....yet. Good time to get your boat ready though.
Offgridsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:06   #94

Re: Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgridsailor View Post
Well, here we are, 7 years after the original post. The world has not collapsed....yet. Good time to get your boat ready though.
And oil prices are down.
Polution is drastically less than 30yrs ago.
We've had some of the coldest winters on record.
It's not booming but the economies are largely coming back around.

I personally like how he said we weren't allowed to take political sides and then posted one political sides agenda.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:07   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And the world didn't come to an end yesterday!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 15:56   #96

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And oil prices are down.
Polution is drastically less than 30yrs ago.
We've had some of the coldest winters on record.
It's not booming but the economies are largely coming back around.

I personally like how he said we weren't allowed to take political sides and then posted one political sides agenda.
Let's see!

-The largest mass migration in over 60 years

-oil prices are down but other than NA fuel prices are virtually unchanged

-Russian expansion into the Middle East

-Chinese expansion into the SCS with the US sending in warships awaiting the ruling from the World Court (predetermined) on the Spratly Islands which the Chinese Government will not honour

-US and Europe printing money faster than Germany in the 1930's for which we have yet to see the consequences.

-Political turmoil in Europe and a resurgence of Nationalism (GB)

-Religous turmoil the world over although this never seems to end as it is just a means to an end (political)

-more and more infringement of personal freedoms due to above

-wages and opportunities in developed countries falling due to a world rebalancing that profits large corporations

But the biggest indicator is the lack of Political involvement of the majority of people in the world due to their frustration. Whoops broke the rules.

This situation will get a lot worse until it gets better. Wonder whether I will live long enough to see it?
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 16:36   #97

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Half the world is in darkness, half in sunshine.
It's up to you to decide which you want to see.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 17:08   #98

Good time to spiff up the ketch and take a few years off while the world resettles!
Offgridsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 22:31   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Let's see!

-Chinese expansion into the SCS with the US sending in warships awaiting the ruling from the World Court (predetermined) on the Spratly Islands which the Chinese Government will not honour

-US and Europe printing money faster than Germany in the 1930's for which we have yet to see the consequences.

-Religous turmoil the world over although this never seems to end as it is just a means to an end (political)

-wages and opportunities in developed countries falling due to a world rebalancing that profits large corporations

But the biggest indicator is the lack of Political involvement of the majority of people in the world due to their frustration. Whoops broke the rules.

This situation will get a lot worse until it gets better. Wonder whether I will live long enough to see it?
You are confused. Mostly due to more access to news and much of it unedited and un-sourced.
- Not even close to the largest mass migration in the past 60yrs. Look at the southern boarder for a much larger and longer one.
- In the places where pump prices aren't going down, they also didn't go up.
- Politics and saber rattling have always been there. I recall much worse in the 70/80s.
- Wages for low skill jobs are returning to their natural balance. It doesn't make any sense to pay someone $100k/yr to put the lugnuts on the front driver side tire that comes by on the assembly line. This is a relic of WWII destroying much of the industrialized world. Companies that don't adapt go bankrupt.

So no, it's not worse today.

PS: I never bought the "don't bring up politics" when the OP immediately listed out on political sides agenda.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:58   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Let's see!

All that gloom and doom is just noise, turn off the tv for a month and you will realize virtually none of the gloom and doom you listed affects you in any way. This is something I have to remind myself of occasionally .

I just read this whole thread and found it so interesting. It looks like " peak oil" was a hot topic. Kind of funny now looking at the current global oil market. Just spent a week at my little trailer house in sw Florida , boat project floating in the back yard. My old school des

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:39   #101
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

go cruising and stop the what iff stufff, as whatiff doesnt happen as the coolade makers say it will.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37   #102

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

On a strictly physical level there is more heat energy in the ocean system. It is a safe bet that in general average wind speeds and wave heights will continue to increase until a new equilibrium is reached. More and/or larger storms are likely too. The jet stream is meandering more making weather prediction more tricky. Complicating this is other factors affecting ocean currents like higher temp and/or salinity and the amount of ice at the poles reflecting light and absorbing heat. So that doesn't do much to answer your question, I know! None of that necessarily means we can't keep sailing, just where we go and how we get there may be changing. i am sure there will still be safe and beautiful places to cruise, just maybe not as many as now. That's my take on it... But I too am curious what others are thinking, and seeing out there.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 17:26   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
None of that necessarily means we can't keep sailing, just where we go and how we get there may be changing. i am sure there will still be safe and beautiful places to cruise, just maybe not as many as now.
Why all this gloom and doom and thinking that somehow the past was always better?

I am also sure there will still be safe and beautiful places to cruise, maybe more of them than now.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 18:26   #104

Boat: a sailing boat

We here are not making any plans for things that may or not happen we do not know when.

Still, if I were to spread my bets, I would go for:

- a boat that sails well (little/no need for fuel),
- with very simple rigging and sails,
- with huge water tanks, (to store rainwater),
- a small pile of solar panels,
- copper plated bottom,

- five pounds of Musto saltwater hooks, 10k yards of nylon monofilament, two quality spearguns with plenty of spare rubber,

I would also set out to swim run and bike at least 50 miles per week and keep at it. Drugs and healthcare will be obliterated. I mean zero drugs availability and so you want to be fighting fit. Think no fuel no transportation you will have to walk to everywhere too.

I would also fix up all if any dental shortcomings before electricity gets permanently turned off.

Last I would get a handful of tablets with all the books and videos I could reasonably put my hands on.

Did I mention one thousand rolls of toilet paper?

Etc.

But since we are already sort of like the above, I personally do not care to get any more ready before I can see any serious shape of the thing acoming.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 19:22   #105

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Actually the toilet paper thing made me laugh cos this is a cultural compulsive disorder in Hong Kong. Everyone stores hundreds of packs of toilet paper in their small apartments. Often bought marginally cheaper on day trips to China. Something to do with long history of insecurity i would guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change