Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 15:16   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post

Would love to hear the facts on this, I'm very curious what it will cost them to get home after their faith based excursion...

Here lately it seems that the seasoned skippers are heading for Davey Jones locker, while those that are ostensibly sailing well beyond their skillset (assumed) make it home... Of course I realize it is more complex than this, and at least some of the recent tragedies at sea reflect some cavalier passage planning by the experienced sailors.

An ideologue may be better prepared to deal with a smack-down from the ocean than a pragmatist... I mean, I think the storms and catching fish and being in gods hands was probably a religious experience for them, and getting home safely is affirmation. The bill, maybe not so much...

Maybe their daughter who was born on board will turn out to be an able sea woman. I wonder how the older one felt, must have been traumatic.

I think a "lost at sea" reality show would sell. Maybe we're working up to it.
Does that say a lot for faith and self belief??
Old 11-08-2013, 15:21   #62

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Probably a church group will raise the needed funds and repay Uncle Sam. Whack Jobs of the world unite! (Birds of same feathers...cluck hymns together.)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 11-08-2013, 15:35   #63

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:

Maybe their daughter who was born on board will turn out to be an able sea woman. I wonder how the older one felt, must have been traumatic.
All you have to do is look at her face while she is walking down gangplank. Says it all.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:38   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post

All you have to do is look at her face while she is walking down gangplank. Says it all.
Sinister...lol...
Old 11-08-2013, 15:39   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

[QUOTE=cheoah;1308442]
Here lately it seems that the seasoned skippers are heading for Davey Jones locker, while those that are ostensibly sailing well beyond their skillset (assumed) make it home... Of course I realize it is more complex than this, and at least some of the recent tragedies at sea reflect some cavalier passage planning by the experienced sailors. QUOTE]

While I did around 18000+ miles last year I still don't regard myself as experienced... seasoned maybe... cavalier definitely..
However that's a mind set and not necessarily a bad one... stops me being uptight and stressed about the smallest detail... and disasters can happen to the best.. and the worst..
Like the drummer trying to pull the waitress at the local 'Greasy Spoon' diner in Murray Romans tale of the Bahamarimba Band... "I fly a lot... and my odds decrease every flight.. take me while you can.."

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 11-08-2013, 15:45   #66

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I wonder if they got any encouragement from the CF "oh just go sailing" crowd?
It wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't put it past some of that crowd to drag them to the waterfront kicking and screaming and cast them off in a bathtub to gain "open water experience". The bright side is no one died this time.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:51   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't put it past some of that crowd to drag them to the waterfront kicking and screaming and cast them off in a bathtub to gain "open water experience". The bright side is no one died this time.
WTF.... Stop Squakin... get sailing now... your ready for a non-stop circumnavigation...
More than 100 posts makes you an 'Expert'.... LOLOL

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 11-08-2013, 15:59   #68

Boat: Manta 42
Did they scuttle the boat as they abandoned it, or leave it a floating hazard that could introduce some unfortunate cruising family to God.
Old 11-08-2013, 16:18   #69

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

WTF.... Stop Squakin... get sailing now... your ready for a non-stop circumnavigation...
More than 100 posts makes you an 'Expert'.... LOLOL
See what I mean!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 16:49   #70

Boat: Carter offshore 35

They should learn to pay tribute to Neptune, He knows how to take care of sailors. Met him once crossing the equator, nice guy.
Old 11-08-2013, 19:54   #71

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post

Yeah, not the one thats walking, but if the older sister has any influence, doubt they'll be much seafaring.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:16   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamah View Post

Does that say a lot for faith and self belief??
Seeing as how humans have been crossing oceans for a long time, without even understanding the shape of the earth, I'd say conviction in something - right or wrong - is worth a lot. Personally I believe chance favors the prepared.

Worrying about all these people on a big ocean is like rearranging the deck chairs on titanic. Personal responsibility notwithstanding, it rates pretty low in terms of human consequence. Until they anchor to windward if you anyway.

It is an interesting story.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:17   #73

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
"Hannah Gastonguay said her family was fed up with government control in the U.S. As Christians they don't believe in "abortion, homosexuality, in the state-controlled church," she said.
U.S. "churches aren't their own," Gastonguay said, suggesting that government regulation interfered with religious independence".

Yes...right...and it was ok to accept airfare from the US gubberment to ship their @ss's back to the oppressive US!
...Jesus...save me from your followers.
This was going to be my post. Seriously, I'm sure it's our tax dollars that are paying their way back. And who is paying the costs associated with their rescue at sea? At least it wasn't a big CG type search. But still. Just pisses me off. That girl and her husband are from the generation when they stopped being able to keep score in T-ball and every kid that ran a race on field day got a medal. And we stopped sitting "Indian style" and started sitting down "criss cross applesauce." It KILLS ME. Guess what? I was slow as MAPLE SYRUP in JANUARY as a kid...still am....and I felt like crap when I never got a ribbon. But I excelled at other things and learned accountability. Puhlease.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:25   #74
o_q

Quote:
Seeing as how humans have been crossing oceans for a long time, without even understanding the shape of the earth, I'd say conviction in something - right or wrong - is worth a lot. Personally I believe chance favors the prepared.

Worrying about all these people on a big ocean is like rearranging the deck chairs on titanic. Personal responsibility notwithstanding, it rates pretty low in terms of human consequence. Until they anchor to windward if you anyway.

It is an interesting story.
I don't think people are worrying. I think this conversation would go a completely different direction if they actually succeeded.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:29   #75

Whatever works for ya..., life is indeed short.

Add some crew and things get complicated. The Bounty is a good example. Hatteras during an epic storm in an old wooden boat? He may have been an ideologue in his own right, with some blind faith in his beautiful old boat. Hard to figure.

Wonder what these people were sailing and where they got picked up? A British article points to somewhere around Galapagos iirc and report that they were picked up near Venezuela. I guess that's "near Venezuela" in a global sense.
Closed Thread