Old 14-01-2022, 10:46   #1351
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: COP26 - the Glasgow Climate Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They're All Corrupt!
This attitude seems to fit the common fallacy, of refusing to believe that public politics can solve any issue, because "all" politicians and politics are allegedly corrupt, ignoring the fact that, if this is so in a democratic country, it is precisely because decent people, like you and I, refuse to get involved, leaving the field open to the "crooks" by default.
It’s an example of Circular Reasoning.

Related to this fallacy is "They're All Biased," the extremely common cynical fallacy of ignoring news, and news media, because none tells the "objective truth", and all push some "agenda."
This, basically true, observation logically requires audiences to regularly view, or read, a variety of media sources, in order to get any approximation of reality, but for many cynical people today, it means in practice: ignore news, news media and public affairs altogether, opting to remain in ignorance, rather than "listening to the lies" of the mainstream media, the President, the "medical establishment," professionals, professors, doctors, and the "academic elite", or other authorities, or information sources, even about urgent subjects (e.g.climate change, the need for vaccinations) on which these sources are otherwise considered to be generally reliable, or relatively trustworthy.
Plutocracies require huge amounts of outside funding to run elections and candidates win donations from powerful interests buy making promises.. no one donates to candidates who will run on a ticket opposing the donors ambitions.
True democracy should run on state funded budgets means tested for fairness and a level playing field.. the Democratic Unicorn..
At the moment in the UK we have two Labour politicians who are slightly embarrassed because it seems they got £600,000 and £450,000 respectively in payments from a Chinese agent who'd wormed her way into Government.. one even hired her son to work in his office.
There are also disturbing associations with two former Tory Prime Ministers..
No wonder the trade deficit with China has rocketed and so many contracts were granted.

Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 10:48   #1352

Re: COP26 - the Glasgow Climate Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
It becomes tiresome that you so frequently feel you must hurl insults rather than attempting to make a logical argument. It says more about you than those you attempt to demean.

Please note that I haven’t called you any names or tried to misrepresent any of your positions in order to make them look ridiculous. It would be nice if we could have a discussion without you engaging in those things.
Well, Happy New Year to you too. And sincere best wishes for a healthy and happy one.

It's tiresome, yet here you are giving it another spin. It's not possible for you and I to discuss US politics. Nor is it really welcome or appropriate here, anyway. So, after my token kick at the can, I'm happy to desist.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 10:50   #1353
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
There's a difference between bias and integrity. A writer (or a publication) can have a bias, but still produce honest, factual and critical reporting. And the right-wing "bias" meme capitalizes on the fact that journalists have higher educational achievements, and that demographic mostly skews liberal.

This "media bias" claim is also part of an intentional strategy, used to justify the creation of overtly and actively biased right-wing "news" outlets that do, without any shame, push an agenda.
Are you talking about CNN and SKY UK.???

Born to be Wild.
Old 14-01-2022, 11:01   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Are you talking about CNN and SKY UK.???
No.

For the record, I don't watch cable news stations. Don't even have TV cable.
Old 14-01-2022, 11:11   #1355
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

These days you don't need to have cable.. just a smart phone.

Born to be Wild.
Old 14-01-2022, 11:15   #1356

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Lastly, just who are these climate change deniers you are constantly referring to? For example, I donít deny that climate change is occurring or even that human activities likely have had an effect on it but I do oppose many of the suggestions that have been put forward to supposedly solve the problem. Thatís not because of any political reason but rather that I donít think they will be effective or they will cause more harm than good they might accomplish. Iím not a climate change denier, Iím a denier of the effectiveness of some of your favorite proposed solutions. Do you understand the difference in those 2 concepts? I think most of those you label as CC deniers fell similar to how I do and you do your credibility no favor by continuing to try to label us as something we clearly are not.
Deniers denying they are deniers. Now that's rich!
"A is not true!"
A is shown to be true
"B is not true!"
B is shown to be true
"C is not true!"
C is shown to be true
"Even if A, B, and C are true, there is nothing anyone can do about it!"
On and on it goes.
And what kind of sad, hopeless, ineffectual person adopts this defeatist attitude? If you want to give up on the planet and declare defeat, be my guest. Go off to whatever sad place that takes you. But it would be a huge favor to everyone else if you would just stop with this nonsense. If the people who are confirmed defeatists would just leave off and let those who have good ideas about how to remedy this go about their work, that would be a gift to civilization.
We engineered and incentivized ourselves into this situation. We can engineer and incentivize our way out of it.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 11:48   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
These days you don't need to have cable.. just a smart phone.
Then maybe my phone's too smart to watch them.

Seriously, I have never much enjoyed watching any streaming news source. Even the ones I might agree with. Nonstop anything rots the brain. (except sailing) Same reason I have nothing to do with Twitter or Facebook.

btw I agree with you that all that came out of COP26 was greenwashing. It could have been more, but most governments can't/won't face the problems, many of which you've pointed out (eg river pollution).
Old 23-01-2022, 10:29   #1358

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Are you guys [jtsailjt & lestersails] aware of the title, and topic of this thread?
ďCOP26 - the Glasgow Climate SummitĒ
Here's a great NOAA site for graphing temperature anomalies (average/min/max) by year for specific months or all months of a year.

Contiguous US extent.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-p.../anom-tavg/1/0
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 11:01   #1359

Very few people are going to knowingly vote against their own perceived self-interest. Hence, when gas prices go up, they’re going to complain, more or less violently. It makes no difference that the save-the-world zealots keep talking to themselves about raising fuel costs. See how much traction the idea of carbon taxes gets with inflation suddenly being at a 40-year high. But zealots with hammers view every problem as a nail.

You’ll never convince arrogant people who think that they’ve got all the answers that there might be a different view of the problem.
Bycrick is online now   Reply With Quote