Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 08:08   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, I think your buddies only gave you 1/3 of the solution. Roaches are generally "30-30-30" critters. That is, it takes them 30 days in the egg to hatch, 30 to mature, 30 for the next generation to be born and repeat the cycle.

Once you have roaches, you don't know if they have already left you any eggs. So in order to make sure you've got them all--especially with pyrethrins which leave no residue and won't kill eggs--you need to "kill now, repeat in 30 days, repeat in 30 days" in order to make sure you've gotten the whole cycle of them. If one set of bombs kills them "forever" you've gotten lucky.

I learned this from the son of an entymologist, who was a telephone lineman. Familiar with finding critters in all the places phone lines go.

The bait traps are also good for control, since they'll keep killing any strays that come in, pretty quickly. They work physically (like boric acid) by cutting holes in the carapice so the bugs dehydrate and die. That prevents them from building up any resistance to chemicals, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:27   #47

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you're drinking beer or soda out of a can on an infested boat, do not put the can down anywhere!! Nothing like taking that last swig of beer and feeling hairy things on your lips. Actually happened to me on a ship I was working on. And if you lay your boat up for the winter or summer as I do, use bags of formaldehyde (Sun-Pacs). Nothing lives with these around.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:43   #48

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I think your buddies only gave you 1/3 of the solution.

If one set of bombs kills them "forever" you've gotten lucky.

The bait traps are also good for control.
Oh, I got the entire explanation, alright. I chose not to even attempt to cover the many other possibilities that were mentioned. My "bug-nerds" can be very chatty when it comes to crunchy critters.

We were prepared with a second strike capability, but the bombs cleaned house. Yeah, some luck in that; I'll take it.

Baits, gels, sticky traps - all good choices.

Pblais - the "Viking funeral" is a last resort!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:30   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
spray rules!!! kills bugs dead is a really goood motto--LOL--- i also spray the boat and lines wen i go to a new docking situation--docks have rats and roaches---so i prevent them from boarding and kat does the rest... gooood kitty!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:52   #50

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Getcha self a chameleon, and a dry stick mounted near a sunny port. It'll sleep all day, with an occasional roach meal.
I know, the cock roach is Bermuda's national bird, and mildew ,our national flower.