Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 21:15   #91

Re: Climate Change, Part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Not that long ago there was a worldwide scientific consensus that the world was flat.

It is possible to draw a strong correlation between the number of Baptist preachers and the number of prostitutes in large cities but it seems unlikely that either the preachers or the whores are causative.
Bob

In 240 BC Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth. At that time it was know to be spherical.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:20   #92

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
As has been pointed out already, that's time based, not cumulative.

You state that out of approx 400ppm co2 in the atmosphere 384 are due to "natural" sources and 16 down to human activities.

In the world of science that's just plain wrong. Ignoring any arguments about exact percentages your entire understanding of cumulative increases appears completely flawed.

"Over the last 150 years, carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations have risen from 280 to nearly 380 parts per million (ppm). The fact that this is due virtually entirely to human activities is so well established that one rarely sees it questioned."

Yet delfin will question it.

RealClimate: How do we know that recent CO2 increases are due to human activities?
Sorry Cona, but I'm not the only one. The NOAA data shows no warming, even though CO2 has increased. Now isn't that odd? Maybe it's because CO2 and earth temperatures are not related one to the other....

UN IPCC Expert Reviewer Dr. Vincent Gray: ‘There is no correlation whatsoever between carbon dioxide concentration and the temperature at the earth
Old 02-09-2013, 21:24   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Now the embarassing NOAA data showing virtually no warming in the face of increasing CO2 so even their sorry correlation is kaput. Geesh, these guys just can't get a break.
Air surface temperatures have moderated.

However using Spencer's NOAA data for the past 2 decades, there are been a 0.67C increase.

Latest Global Temps « Roy Spencer, PhD

I can cherry pick with the best.

Ocean temperatures have increased

Old 02-09-2013, 21:24   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Not that long ago there was a worldwide scientific consensus that the world was flat.

It is possible to draw a strong correlation between the number of Baptist preachers and the number of prostitutes in large cities but it seems unlikely that either the preachers or the whores are causative.
There is also a strong correlation between car crashes and ambulances. I wonder if we outlawed ambulances we could drive down auto fatalities....hmmmm. Maybe I can get a grant studying that.

Unfortunately for the AGW club, even the correlation they dressed up as proof of cause is out the window. The earth hasn't been warming. Sad for those Canadians hoping to become the Hawaii of the north, but true.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:29   #95

Boat: Catalina 30

Delfin said:

Hydrogen? All for it, and it has a great future.

Delfin, you seem to misunderstand many things,
one of which is that Hydrogen is not a (primary)
fuel, it is at best a storage device.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:30   #96

Do you know what it takes be an IPCC expert reviewer?

Quote:
"Expert reviewer for the IPCC" doesn't mean that they asked him to review material -- all it means is that he asked to see the draft report. The only real requirement to be a reviewer is to sign an agreement not to publicly comment on the draft."
Vincent Gray is a chemist based in New Zealand. He is a retired coal industry researcher, climate author, and founder of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition.

The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition was launched in May 2006 with the aim of "refuting what it believes are unfounded claims about anthropogenic (man-made) global warming."
Old 02-09-2013, 21:33   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Air surface temperatures have moderated.

However using Spencer's NOAA data for the past 2 decades, there are been a 0.67C increase.

Latest Global Temps « Roy Spencer, PhD

I can cherry pick with the best.

Ocean temperatures have increased

You may be able to cherry pick, but you sure can't read a chart. Since the greatest anomaly over the last 30 years from the new NOAA data was in 1998 at .67 degrees C, and every other data point is well below that your statement "However using Spencer's NOAA data for the past 2 decades, there are been a 0.67C increase" is clearly false.

And in the spirit of trashing any data source you deem associated with the oil industry, I have to reject whatever comes from skepticalscience. Here's a bit on its operator: Media Fail: John Cook’s Atom Bombs | NoFrakkingConsensus. At least Anthony Watts was a weatherman....
Old 02-09-2013, 21:38   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Do you know what it takes be an IPCC expert reviewer?

Vincent Gray is a chemist based in New Zealand. He is a retired coal industry researcher, climate author, and founder of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition.

The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition was launched in May 2006 with the aim of "refuting what it believes are unfounded claims about anthropogenic (man-made) global warming."
Well jack (ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator, CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor, IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor), at least he's actually in a field of study that has some relevance to what he is writing about. Unlike John Cook who apparently does research in psychology. You have a rather disturbing trait of attacking the credentials of those you disagree with....
Old 02-09-2013, 21:40   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Delfin said:

Hydrogen? All for it, and it has a great future.

Delfin, you seem to misunderstand many things,
one of which is that Hydrogen is not a (primary)
fuel, it is at best a storage device.
You mean hydrogen doesn't burn? That would be news to these guys: Hydrogen Fuel
Old 02-09-2013, 21:40   #100

Quote:
At least Anthony Watts was a weatherman....
John Cook graduated from university, and makes no pretenses. Watts never finished his degree.

Quote:
Skeptical Science is maintained by John Cook, the Climate Communication Fellow for the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland. He studied physics at the University of Queensland, Australia. After graduating, he majored in solar physics in his post-grad honours year. He is not a climate scientist. Consequently, the science presented on Skeptical Science is not his own but taken directly from the peer reviewed scientific literature. To those seeking to refute the science presented, one needs to address the peer reviewed papers where the science comes from (links to the full papers are provided whenever possible).
Old 02-09-2013, 21:44   #101

Quote:
You may be able to cherry pick, but you sure can't read a chart. Since the greatest anomaly over the last 30 years from the new NOAA data was in 1998 at .67 degrees C, and every other data point is well below that your statement "However using Spencer's NOAA data for the past 2 decades, there are been a 0.67C increase" is clearly false.
I said 2 decades which is 1993. 1998 was a strong El Nino. I admitted I was cherry picking. Try the same admission. Confession is good for the soul.

BTW

Carl - Thanks for the free advertising.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:48   #102

Quote:
Well jack (ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator, CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor, IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor), at least he's actually in a field of study that has some relevance to what he is writing about. Unlike John Cook who apparently does research in psychology. You have a rather disturbing trait of attacking the credentials of those you disagree with....

BTW - my grad work at the University of Houston was in Studies of the Future and included modelling.

John Cook studied physics, graduated and did post grad work in physics..
Old 02-09-2013, 23:31   #103
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Sorry Cona, but I'm not the only one. The NOAA data shows no warming, even though CO2 has increased. Now isn't that odd? Maybe it's because CO2 and earth temperatures are not related one to the other....

UN IPCC Expert Reviewer Dr. Vincent Gray: ‘There is no correlation whatsoever between carbon dioxide concentration and the temperature at the earth
Answering completely the wrong question again.

You are the only one stating that of the latest near instant increase to approx 400ppm, only 16ppm is down to human activities.

So since pre industrial times when it was fairly stable around 280/260ppm for possibly 10,000 years, if humans have added just 16ppm, where did the other 100 odd come from?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:42   #104

Boat: Gib sea 43

It looks like the sun is going into a solar minimum which is associated with general global cooling, kiss goodbye to global warming for the time being. And if we look at the global temperatures over the last 10,000 years , they have only been heading one way, down!

Interglacial periods last on average 10-12,000 years, its been about that same time period since the last full on glacial period.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56   #105

You Disagreers (see we can think up catchy labels, too) are arguing to the wrong bunch. We, like you, already enjoy a great lifestyle. How do you plan to get the billion plus in the developing world to forego our level of lifestyle?

What if they all want houses, and cars, and electricity and yachts and vacations and want it for their families, too?

Or is the argument going to be, "They've never had that stuff. They won't know what they are missing?"

If the plan is to just Al Gore them (Do as I say, not as I do) then good luck with that.