Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 15:04   #1

Can I ask an absolute brain-dead newbie question?

I was sitting in a restaurant the other day and by chance a guy waiting in line to pay his bill noticed I was looking at for sale ads on Craigslist. "If I were you," he says as he's paying his bill and leaving; "I'd just go down to the marina and wander around looking for for-sale signs. You'll find a lot more boats that way."

So that spawns my brain-dead newbie question... Can just anybody just "go down to the marina and wander around"? I've been in the parking lot of the Everett WA marina and there were gates that in my mind should have been locked so I never tried them.
ggutshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:24   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Can I ask an absolute brain-dead newbie question?

Some marinas yes, some marinas no.
If in doubt ask the dockmaster. If you look like a responsible sort you shouldn't have a problem at most marinas. You can also inquire at the dock office about boats for sale.
Old 24-08-2016, 15:28   #3

Boat: Ingrid 38

It varies. Some marinas are secured, some are not. Here in Olympia, Swantown Marina is the main one, operated by the Port. It is secured. Across the bay is West Bay marina, which is not. In Port Townsend, the docks are wide open at both marinas. I recall walking the docks and looking at boats in Bellingham, but that was several years ago so I can't say for sure they are still unsecured. You could call various marinas in the area and ask, or just drive around and check them. If there are no gates, you can wander around to your hearts content.
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:35   #4

Boat: Ingrid 38

All that said, I don't totally agree with his advice. Sure walking the docks to look boats, both for sale and not, is a good way to get ideas of what you like. But when it comes down to seriously shopping, you need to cruise the ads. Check Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale, and since you are apparently in northern Washington, don't overlook Canada. Lots of boats for sale in Victoria and Vancouver, and the exchange rate is very favorable. Try kijiji.ca.
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:46   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, you can always resort to binoculars and a note pad to jot down phone numbers you can read on the for sale signs... or putter around in a dinghy...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:56   #6

It's been my experience that most marinas don't allow "for sale" signs.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:57   #7

Well the Port of Everett Marina is a public marina. Few people know that anyone can go down to the Marina Office and ask for a Key for South or North docs. You must provide your Drivers License but they will happily let you walk the Marina. Just a note from someone who has a boat at the Everett Marina, look at all the boats you want, admire, dream, write down the slip number if you see a boat you may be interested in. The Marina Office can contact the owner and give him/her your information that you may be interested in their boat. Just, please, please, please do not touch unless you are invited. We have had a few experienced where people have just walked on our boat checking it out/ taking pictures. Not very happy.

Lots of for sale signs around on boats big and small. Also, if you see a boat that still has green moss on the decks, chances are the owner would be happy to negotiate a deal.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 16:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, you can always resort to binoculars and a note pad to jot down phone numbers you can read on the for sale signs... or putter around in a dinghy...
LOL! I haven't even a dinghy! Did I mention the brain-dead newbie part? Seriously though on another note - if anyone in the greater Seattle area were kind enough to take an utter but enthusiastic newbie for his first ever sailing experience. I'd gladly pull whatever lines I'm told to pull and even bring copious libations if so desired.
Old 24-08-2016, 16:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Well the Port of Everett Marina is a public marina. Few people know that anyone can go down to the Marina Office and ask for a Key for South or North docs. You must provide your Drivers License but they will happily let you walk the Marina. Just a note from someone who has a boat at the Everett Marina, look at all the boats you want, admire, dream, write down the slip number if you see a boat you may be interested in. The Marina Office can contact the owner and give him/her your information that you may be interested in their boat. Just, please, please, please do not touch unless you are invited. We have had a few experienced where people have just walked on our boat checking it out/ taking pictures. Not very happy.

Lots of for sale signs around on boats big and small. Also, if you see a boat that still has green moss on the decks, chances are the owner would be happy to negotiate a deal.
Thanks for the info - I'd never touch anything unless the owner were there to tell me it's alright...