Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 16:29   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Build quality descriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Funny, but to me, plywood bulkheads means heavy and cheap construction. Mine are all cored biaxial and quadraxial glass laminates. Every one of them, even cabin dividers.

Guess it depends on what you're used to.
Agreed, this particular marketspeak is suggesting a cored composite panel, not ply. Better construction than ply for sure, as long as its not Balsa core that is. No point in having a stronger lighter panel if you've built it out of a sponge like material which rots as soon as you look at it funny.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Agreed, this particular marketspeak is suggesting a cored composite panel, not ply. Better construction than ply for sure, as long as its not Balsa core that is. No point in having a stronger lighter panel if you've built it out of a sponge like material which rots as soon as you look at it funny.
It might be - but my reading of that quote (and the website) is that it's probably plywood.

Albeit I base that view only on the fact that they did not mention any clever construction method or materials - that would seem an obvious thing to do. I certainly would re-draft the bit that suggests building a bulkhead from solid formica is an alternative building technique (albeit used by others - I'd like to see that!) .

Although not a naval architect I doubt whether the weight savings (over plywood) would be important on that size / design of vessel - not to say that could not be other advantages to using other materials, including if cheaper / quicker to build.

I personally would not be bothered about plywood bulkheads (and "furniture") - as long as done well (and that does not neccessarily mean heavy / overbuilt).....albeit for me the Saloon has way too much varnish work for my tastes (even though I do like a bit a of varnish work).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To me it would be quite disingenuous to call anything built solely from ply a "composite". Would you call a boat built from plywood and skinned with a 10 oz. cloth or two a "composite" build? I wouldn't, it's a wooden boat. Composite means it's composed of more than one building material. A cold-molded boat is composite, even a ply cored boat with heavy layup both sides is a composite. But a veneered ply bulkhead is not a "composite". It's just a wood bulkhead. IMHO, anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
To me it would be quite disingenuous to call anything built solely from ply a "composite". Would you call a boat built from plywood and skinned with a 10 oz. cloth or two a "composite" build? I wouldn't, it's a wooden boat. Composite means it's composed of more than one building material. A cold-molded boat is composite, even a ply cored boat with heavy layup both sides is a composite. But a veneered ply bulkhead is not a "composite". It's just a wood bulkhead. IMHO, anyway.
I agree with you - but others do disagree, just have a looksee on Yachtworld .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I agree with you - but others do disagree, just have a looksee on Yachtworld .

Do they really disagree, or are they just trying to sell their boats using some marketspeak of their own? Composite boat sounds so much more appealing than plywood boat.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Build Quality Descriptions

Plywood is a composite but marketing does seem to have got in the habit of calling it solid wood, which I find misleading. It would be very unusual to find it made from one species of wood, the orientation of the grain is varied for strength and glue is a significant portion of it's composition. Marine teak plywood might cost the equivalent of $6 a board foot where as the real thing is going to be $30 a board foot.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50   #22

Could be rigid balsa cored plywood or one of the new foam cored versions. Great stuff and far more rigid than plywood...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:18   #23

Boat: grampian 26

And just what is it that makes people think plywood is a poor material for bulkheads? They did after all build aircraft out of it during WWII. The Mosquito fighter bomber for one come to mind.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27   #24

Not neccesarily a poor material, but there are better. Materials science has moved on since the 1940's.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50   #25

Hard to generalize these days. Many options. Here's a "plywood" that's 38% lighter -

Goldcore Light: Super Lightweight, A-Grade Plywood. BS1088 Marine Plywood.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:12   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl..at least it isnt the chopped pressed and formed alleged wood used in housing, despite the alleged strength of the glues.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:27   #27

Boat: Gib sea 43

I love the way marketing speak twists & changes things to make them sound far more exotic and glamorous than they are!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:44   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Not neccesarily a poor material, but there are better. Materials science has moved on since the 1940's.
And a lot of plywood is more dodgy these days than the 40's to 60's ply. Less good timber available I guess, it now takes some effort and more$$ to source high end ply.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote