Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 04:18   #46

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
Hi,

Why don't you connect with the crew doing the OpenCPN project? It sounds challenging and what they have done so far is really useful.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:01   #47

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
Why don't you connect with the crew doing the OpenCPN project? It sounds challenging and what they have done so far is really useful.
As is typically the problem with open source, there's no money in it. Whatever I decide to do, whether it's boating related or not, the project needs to generate a profit. I'm not at the point where I can retire and have hobbies just yet.

That said, developing add-ons for open source is sometimes profitable. A colleague suggested an idea for an OpenCPN add-in component. I'm not sure if there is any money in it yet. I would need to subscribe to a data provider, process that data, and graphically present the result in an OpenCPN overlay. To cover the cost of my subscription to the data provider, I'd then have to charge a fee for my service and to make a profit.

Then, the other problem with open source, once I release my component, others are free to (and typically will) create their own component that does the same thing, except accessing a free, lower quality data source, and give that component away for free.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 01:25   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
.....Then, the other problem with open source, once I release my component, others are free to (and typically will) create their own component that does the same thing, except accessing a free, lower quality data source, and give that component away for free.
Yes - but YOU have access to THEIR code and can modify it to suit your purposes even if that involves attaching a price tag to it and selling it. You can even sell their code if you can find a market for it.

What goes round, comes round....
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 02:17   #49

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
As is typically the problem with open source, there's no money in it. Whatever I decide to do, whether it's boating related or not, the project needs to generate a profit. I'm not at the point where I can retire and have hobbies just yet.
No need to contribute code on a full-time basis

There has been some discussion regarding closed source/commercial plugins here. The lead developer has stated that his intention with the plugin system is to enable developers to do just that. Activecaptain has chimed in on this regarding a plugin for his marina/anchorage database.

As you can see from the stats, opencpn is doing very well, shipping 5-10K downloads per month.

As most chart/current/tide data is copyrighted, plugins delivering such content would probably do quite well. I for one would purchase current data for European waters right away
Old 18-11-2010, 06:17   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
OK state of play is that HF radio is used by cruisers for informal cruisers nets, but increasingly disregarded for safety.

Satellite phone is used now for safety buy there is no way to have the informal cruisers nets on the Sat phone.
Call cost is so high that a conference call etc not effective.

So to keep things broad.....

A way to cheaply (free!?) and effectively communicate (by voice) with a group of others on a satellite system.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:45   #51

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Good point.
I guess I was thinking of something that simulated an actual trip/voyage, not the basics of how to sail a boat.

Eg. set up a trip from the E. coast to Bermuda, then BVI. From there island hopping the Caribbean.
So, you'd check for best time of year for the trip, or the conditions for the time you plan to take the trip. Select waypoints, type of vessel etc.

To have the trip role out in real time would be about as exciting as
watching paint dry, so speeding up the trip is a must, but from time to time have a squall coming across or maybe a reroute due to a bad weather pattern developing...
Leaving harbour and approaching anchorages could include depth soundings. Windows to wind speed/direction, and currents, sea conditions etc could all be built into it... just a few ideas.

Vic
This perhaps?
Virtual Sailor - Virtual Sailing Simulator