Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 08:50   #1

Boat Shopping Experience? - Suggestions, Frustrations, Ideas?

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a small website that lists boats for sale. I'm also shopping for a cruising cat and getting close to making a decision so I suppose I'm a potential user of the site too.

I'm wondering if there is anything folks would be interested in when looking at a "boats for sale" type site that you can't find now? Thoughts from either the buyer or seller's point of view are welcome.

For instance, yachtworld is great because there are so many boats listed, but it's only broker boats which eliminates some good buys. Craigslist is ok, but you typically only find smaller/less expensive vessels and it's not as easy as it could be to narrow down a search.

...if you think you think it's a silly idea and there's no room left on the internet for another boat website feel free to tell me that too.

Thanks!
Dan
DanDanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Boat Shopping Experience? - Suggestions, Frustrations, Ideas?

YachtWorld is my basis, so working from that...

1) one of my biggest complaints with YW. Is that there are so few criteria that you can search by. Generally only leingth, age, price, and manufacturer. I would love to be able to seach by any other data points. Like SA/D, PHRF rating, fuel capacity, engine hp, ect.

2) if a seller has a recent survey it would be nice for there to be a way to post it

3) no boats without pictures. These days there is no excuse.

4) links to reviews of a particular design included with listings where available

All of these are of course available with a quick google search, but having it all contained in one place would be nice.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13   #3

Boat: other people's boats
Re: Boat Shopping Experience? - Suggestions, Frustrations, Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
YachtWorld is my basis, so working from that...

1) one of my biggest complaints with YW. Is that there are so few criteria that you can search by. Generally only leingth, age, price, and manufacturer. I would love to be able to seach by any other data points. Like SA/D, PHRF rating, fuel capacity, engine hp, ect.

2) if a seller has a recent survey it would be nice for there to be a way to post it

3) no boats without pictures. These days there is no excuse.

4) links to reviews of a particular design included with listings where available

All of these are of course available with a quick google search, but having it all contained in one place would be nice.
+1 and make sure it works. Might seem obvious but maintenance is huge.
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, shopping