Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2022, 09:38   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Boat Prices Seattle vs Florida

Hi all,

W've been stuck in Port Angels WA for a couple of years now due to Covid - our plans to sail to Alaska delayed. Ok - Looks like Canada will remain open this year so we are planning on taking in our lines in early may and heading north.

We haven't been sure about our plans after that - should we go back out across the pacific (we have many fond memories of French Polynesia) and try to complete the circumnavigation
or
Sail south, back through the Panama Canal and from there back to Denmark with diverse stops along the way.

If we take the back through the canal route, then we will have a passage east across the Atlantic. Vinni and I have sailed enough passages that we don't need to sail another one.

Boat prices in Seattle are extremely high - people tell us that we can get at least $100,000 more for our boat there than we can in Denmark (tons of great boats for sale in Denmark).

But how do Florida prices stack up against the Seattle prices? We' love to explore Central America and the western Caribbean - so perhaps we should consider selling Capri in Florida?

Anyone have any concrete knowledge?

Capri is a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40 feet. We have so far sailed her over 30K nm in blue water. She is a fast and comfortable boat - 2 cabins and fully rigged with everything imaginable in the way of off-shore cruising - watermaker, radar, SSB, Sat Phone, you name - it is there. Newish sails, new rigging

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 10:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38
Re: Boat Prices Seattle vs Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hi all,

W've been stuck in Port Angels WA for a couple of years now due to Covid - our plans to sail to Alaska delayed. Ok - Looks like Canada will remain open this year so we are planning on taking in our lines in early may and heading north.

We haven't been sure about our plans after that - should we go back out across the pacific (we have many fond memories of French Polynesia) and try to complete the circumnavigation
or
Sail south, back through the Panama Canal and from there back to Denmark with diverse stops along the way.

If we take the back through the canal route, then we will have a passage east across the Atlantic. Vinni and I have sailed enough passages that we don't need to sail another one.

Boat prices in Seattle are extremely high - people tell us that we can get at least $100,000 more for our boat there than we can in Denmark (tons of great boats for sale in Denmark).

But how do Florida prices stack up against the Seattle prices? We' love to explore Central America and the western Caribbean - so perhaps we should consider selling Capri in Florida?

Capri is a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40 feet. We have so far sailed her over 30K nm in blue water. She is a fast and comfortable boat - 2 cabins and fully rigged with everything imaginable in the way of off-shore cruising - watermaker, radar, SSB, Sat Phone, you name - it is there. Newish sails, new rigging
call some broker and try
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...&length=40-970

but in all europa you have 2 jeanneau sun fast 40 on market now
80-90000€ with tax
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 11:13   #3

Carsten, my recollections, from over 25 years as the C34 International Association Secretary are that boat prices in FL are lower than Seattle. This could well be because of differences in the systems that are installed: heavier anchoring gear and heating systems, primarily. I do not know about pricing in Europe,although we have a few dozen members spread out there, the boats don't seem to change hands often.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 11:40   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Carsten, my recollections, from over 25 years as the C34 International Association Secretary are that boat prices in FL are lower than Seattle. This could well be because of differences in the systems that are installed: heavier anchoring gear and heating systems, primarily. I do not know about pricing in Europe,although we have a few dozen members spread out there, the boats don't seem to change hands often.
Hi Stu,

We're not worried about european prices - we have a pretty good handle on those. US prices are significantly higher and the US import duty is not very high.

Generally we are looking for a comparison of Seattle versus Florida pricing

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 18-01-2022, 11:47   #5

I think prices are the smallest portion of the equation here. Boats have been selling for almost 2 years now. You'll sell high, and buy high, so it will be a wash. The issue will be inventory. A large portion of the used inventory is everything left that nobody else wanted to buy.

Decent, ready to go, cruising boats sell very, very quickly and at a premium. There are a few parallel threads out there on this subject.

If you don't want to sail it, look at shipping it. Then consider how much you'd need to invest in a used boat in both current market prices, plus refitting.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 14:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Back in the PNW. Boat is in San Carlos, MX for the storm season.
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Get a hold of Bob Schoonmaker at Swiftsure Yachts. He has been in the business for a long time and should have a good handle on the price differential
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 14:30   #7

Quote:
Hi all,

Check with a Seattle sailboat broker to get an opinion on the present local market valuation.

From a quick search on the pricing of the same model of vessel, $100,000 would involve about twice its value elsewhere.

Of keen note is whether you will be subject to VAT and custom duties upon entry back to the EU if that is your ultimate destination when you arrive back with your boat, or a newly purchased boat as that is a part of the economic considerations.

An option, one could just ship the boat to the southeast and not run the passage along the US west coast and Mexico. And one could purchase a similar boat in central america.

Bon voyage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 14:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Hi Stu,

We're not worried about european prices - we have a pretty good handle on those. US prices are significantly higher and the US import duty is not very high.

Generally we are looking for a comparison of Seattle versus Florida pricing
i think you have little problem with your draft in Florida . what is your draft now with gen, watermaker over 7 ft.
Also in Seattle, you don't have a problem with 20 ft draft.
in Seattle people is more wealthy ws Florida. Because rent real estate is ridiculously expensive lot people live on water in the surrounding area.
you sea when sailing around house build on beach,
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 17:40   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Carsten, I think it really depends on what cruising you and Vinnie have for your goals. It depends on where your heart's desires and your physical conditions are. Once you see that more clearly, your decisions will be come easier to make, because you'll be drawn towards what you think of as a positive change.

If you and Vinnie create a holding plan that will let you use differently the next 2 to 3 years, then the Pacific route will surely be more open by then, or at least, more seeable.

I could imagine you harbor hopping to Chile, and then deciding to nation-hop back home, or sell the boat in FL, if it's financially advantageous. It all is going to go back to what the two of youse hearts desires are, travel-wise, vs. how trapped you felt when you were back in Denmark, without the boat, and without sailing. [When we've been separated from our boat, at about 2 weeks, even if we're enjoying our existence, we start feeling the pull to be back with her.]

Maybe you've just decided you don't like passages? or do you mean an upwind passages? I'm thinking if you both love the sailing and the being at sea (and maybe you don't, anymore???), but if you do still love it, you might just slide into another long passage quite easily. Iirc, your passage to HI was largely on the wind, and it would have been similarly true of the way to WA, too. [We did 6800 n. mi to windward one year, and found it to be more than we liked.]

Good luck with feeling your way through this. It's never easy, but we don't get paid for cruising, so youse both should keep it fun. [There's some places in South America I would love to have been, when I was fitter. We don't seem to regret what we've actually done.]

Ann

On edit. I didn't say anything about boat prices, because I was thinking it couldn't possibly be the real issue here, but fwiw, a cruise-ready boat should have a good appeal in Seattle, with all the West Coast to draw on for potential buyers. More total population on the East Coast, but your boat would stand out especially to people whom I would label "knowledgeable"....either coast would do you, with maybe a lean towards the PNW.
Old 18-01-2022, 18:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Boat prices in Florida are all over the map...new...used and everything in between...
You can spend $150K for a used Beneteau...or $350K for a similar sized used Hallberg Rassy..
Don't forget "sales tax"...often a surprise..
If you are the seller....there is typically a 10% brokerage fee involved. While there are folks that try to sell their own boat, my guess is that most boat deals are done thru' a broker.

Ft. Lauderdale is typically a used boat mecca....There are a myriad of brokers there. You can simply google Ft. Lauderdale Yacht Brokers and you will be directed to any number of brokers, but most any Florida coastal town will have a broker or several brokers.

Finding Insuring for a boat older than....say 10 years is sometimes a challenge.

Marina rates are also very location driven. The further south you go, is generally more expensive. A ballpark figure for your average 40 something sailboat is $20/ft and up. Electric is always extra. Most marina's require liability insurance.

Some people think it's a "buyer's" market...other's a "seller's market.

Covid has obviously put a big dent in the marine industry.

Marine diesel is about $3.70/gal (US)....gas about $4.70

6' is considered a deep draft boat in Florida.

Area bridges are typically around 65' clearance at mid span. Florida has a lot of bridges.
The whole east coast of Florida is a series of barrier islands. Separating the coast from mainland Florida is the ICW. I don't know how many bridges there are....but it's a lot....

Off course, Florida is also in the hurricane belt. No telling when or where the next one will hit, but generally speaking you'll have several days to consider a plan.

Some odds and ends for you to think about.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 18:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did a quick search on your make boat...

$63,798.00 to $111,647.00, age and equipment typically account for the spread..

I would consider the 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40 in the same category as a Beneteau...pricewise...your boat is well equipped, my guess would be somewhere on the upper end of the above scale.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 21:08   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Carsten, I think it really depends on what cruising you and Vinnie have for your goals. It depends on where your heart's desires and your physical conditions are. Once you see that more clearly, your decisions will be come easier to make, because you'll be drawn towards what you think of as a positive change.

If you and Vinnie create a holding plan that will let you use differently the next 2 to 3 years, then the Pacific route will surely be more open by then, or at least, more seeable.

I could imagine you harbor hopping to Chile, and then deciding to nation-hop back home, or sell the boat in FL, if it's financially advantageous. It all is going to go back to what the two of youse hearts desires are, travel-wise, vs. how trapped you felt when you were back in Denmark, without the boat, and without sailing. [When we've been separated from our boat, at about 2 weeks, even if we're enjoying our existence, we start feeling the pull to be back with her.]

Maybe you've just decided you don't like passages? or do you mean an upwind passages? I'm thinking if you both love the sailing and the being at sea (and maybe you don't, anymore???), but if you do still love it, you might just slide into another long passage quite easily. Iirc, your passage to HI was largely on the wind, and it would have been similarly true of the way to WA, too. [We did 6800 n. mi to windward one year, and found it to be more than we liked.]

Good luck with feeling your way through this. It's never easy, but we don't get paid for cruising, so youse both should keep it fun. [There's some places in South America I would love to have been, when I was fitter. We don't seem to regret what we've actually done.]

Ann

On edit. I didn't say anything about boat prices, because I was thinking it couldn't possibly be the real issue here, but fwiw, a cruise-ready boat should have a good appeal in Seattle, with all the West Coast to draw on for potential buyers. More total population on the East Coast, but your boat would stand out especially to people whom I would label "knowledgeable"....either coast would do you, with maybe a lean towards the PNW.
Ann

We're both not done with sailing. We miss our boat as soon as we are away from her.

But the pacific is looking like a closed door for the next couple of years and we've already spent almost 2 years in the US because of Covid.
We want and will sail to Alaska this summer then the Sea of Cortez. After that we don't know.
Whilst we can certainly sail her back to Denmark and sell her there. Us prices are a lot higher than European.
We will sell her when (and if) we sail her back. We have other plans - we'd like to go to the dark side, buy a trawler and spend a couple of years exploring the European rivers and canals.
And we aren't getting any younger, we've had to go back to Denmark each of the past 4 years for major health issues so that is now becoming a front burner issue.
We actually enjoy passage sailing.

We haven't made a decision to sell - but obviously if we can make a fair bit more money selling her over here - then that money can go to buying a trawler

Tags
boat, florida, price, seattle