Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2009, 20:18   #16

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
In reference to the OP

Fish "unmentionables" isn't that called CAVIAR?

One food prejudice of mine that I find amusing is that I really enjoy eating Crustaceans, even knowing that many of them are scavengers. So why do insects, which seem to be the terrestrial equivalent, seem so repulsive to me as a food stuff?

And, although I said in an earlier post that I do try to experiment with unfamiliar foods, my prejudice against insects is not one that I am tempted to overcome.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 23:50   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Balut …or fertilized duck egg is very popular here in the Philippines.

I am still waiting for that perfect moment to try it.

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39   #18

In Bangkok they have these little pushcarts that "BBQ" meat that is on a stick. I thought it looked like chicken so I bought one. Cost about $.25. As eating it I remarked to my guide "this chicken is pretty good". He then replied "that not chicken, that flied lat (fried rat).
karlhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:47   #19

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
In Africa, hippo, crocodile, imu, zebra, snake, giraffe, 3 different gazelles, and a bunch of stuff I didn't have the guts to ask about, jsut ate.
Cloud IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17   #20

OK Pelagic, that was just.. just... blah!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34   #21

Boat: Cascade
In Sweden we used to eat "fermented herring" a strange Swedish delight!!

From Wikipedia …"The herring is caught in spring, when it is in prime condition and just about to spawn. The herring are fermented in barrels for one to two months, then tinned where the fermentation continues. Half a year to a year later, gases have built up sufficiently for the once cylindrical tins to bulge into a more rounded shape."

You had to open the can in a well ventilated area. The smell was enough to make you barf. If you got past that the taste was ok. Washed down with vodka! Of Course!!

BTW you never want to put one of these cans in your luggage on a plane. “POP GOES THE CAN” and everyone’s bags have to be thrown out!
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50   #22

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Can't compete with this lot, beyond croc and giraffe and gazelle in Kenya - and ground-oven-baked fruit bat in Niue. We like to think that we eat the thing on the menu we can't identify, but flied lat is definitely a step too far.

We did eat in a great Korean in Aukland last year, but still have no idea what we had as the menu and chef had no English and we neither speak nor read Korean.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 13:23   #23

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Just going through the markets in many Asian countries, you'll see every form of insect, arachnid and sea-creature intended for consumption. In the course of being a gracious guest I've ingested numerous things; to this day I haven't the slightest inkling as to what they were. The one thing that I got the translation to, that hasn't yet been mentioned, is jellyfish.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 14:38   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Jellyfish in China are a given. It's like getting tortilla chips in a Mexican restaurant. As strange a dish as it sounds, I haven't met anyone who objected to them. They are very good and put out before the meal, where everyone starts eating them while talking. Without fail, they are almost finished before anyone asks what they are!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03   #25

How would you prepare jellyfish? Breaded & deep-fried?

Here at home (WV & the whole 4 state region - PA, MD, VA & WV) we are being overrun with 'stinkbugs'. (Non native species - read about it here: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug — Entomology — Penn State University).

Last year, I was enjoying a can of soda and lucky me, one got down in my can and I drank it. Kind of tingly when it was in the mouth...

A couple weeks later I was watching a travel show and they were in a market somewhere in Asia and one of the local delicacies were dried 'stinkbugs'. The host said they were really crunchy and tasted like menthol. So who knew that I had already partook in some international cuisine! Now, if I can just figure out how to market these over abundant little critters….
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmutt007 View Post
How would you prepare jellyfish?
I had it in Tokyo - it was sliced in thin strips (about the size of fettucine noodles) and was in a vinegar-based dressing with bits of seaweed. It was quite chewy, but not unpleasant.
Old 02-10-2009, 21:13   #27

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
My own jellyfish experience- I didn't think it was weird enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Just going through the markets in many Asian countries, you'll see every form of insect, arachnid and sea-creature intended for consumption. In the course of being a gracious guest I've ingested numerous things; to this day I haven't the slightest inkling as to what they were. The one thing that I got the translation to, that hasn't yet been mentioned, is jellyfish.
I once ate this at a local (Portland OR) Chinese restaurant. I was hungry to the point of nausea, and needed to eat before my docent training. I ran into some other fellow trainees, and we ate together. I explained that my stomach was a bit delicate just then, but jellyfish and fish maw soup were ordered (can't remember what else.) I don't know exactly what fish maw soup consists of, but the name is unappealing to me.

The jellyfish were actually quite good. Surprisingly, it was a cold salad. (I thought Chinese foods are primarily served hot or at room temperature.) The jellyfish themselves had no flavor that I could discern. The flavoring seemed to come from the seasonings. I would describe this as being similar to calamari in texture. I would eat it again. The main reason that I haven't is simply that I typically eat alone, and would not want to eat a whole plate by myself.

When I do eat with a group of docents, there are Chinese present who order for us. And I am always satisfied to just try out whatever is ordered. And the food ALWAYS is much more freshly prepared than when I eat alone, and better service too! The staff probably figure that the Chinese are more discriminating.

Actually, since most of the Chinese have moved out of Chinatown, the better Chinese places have probably moved along with them.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Sometimes it is you!

I recall Bangkok, eating in a "Fusion Restaurant" (ok, it was an English Pub, that also sold Thai Food, but mainly Western Food. and beer in pints on draught ..........but no monkey business on the menu, that was around the corner ).

They had on the Menu Cheese & Branston pickle sandwiches and Tuna with Mayonaise............I fancied a Cheese & Mayonaise sarnie, not on the menu - but the ingrediants were. and used in Sandwiches, so I figured no big stretch.............

I was with me Missus (a local), I knew from past visits that the Thai serving staff spoke decent English and were well used to us foreigners and our strange ways / tastes...........so I was quite confident that ordering off the menu would go ok.

When ordering the Missus looked at me a bit strangely, but nothing unusual in that The Waitress did the same, and treble checked with me. and then with the Missus. I put it down to her wanting to prevent any of the usual lingo problems.

5 minutes later she came back. and wanted to make sure of my order. A couple of minutes later another waitress did the same.

But the Cheese & Mayo sarnie duly arrived. and very nice it was too (fellow eaters of "your" Foods when abroad will know that interpretations of dishes can "vary" - but my sarnie was spot on!).

Whlst eating I realised that the staff (including kitchen) had come to see me eat the Sarnie.

The Missus explained to me, "they think you make mistake when ordering, "Chef no beleive" and "now they no beleive you eat" ; "I no beleive also"........

I knew the locals were not so big on dairy foods, but a simple Cheese & Mayo sarnie being bizarre / disgusting???? WTF Especially given all the truly weird sh#t the locals eat
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:06   #29

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
We gave the world vegemite!! I love watching the visitors from overseas trying to eat it on toast first up in the morning!!

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
We gave the world vegemite!! I love watching the visitors from overseas trying to eat it on toast first up in the morning!!

Bill
Didn't Marmite come first?