Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 19:47   #1

Bay of Islands Tall ships Race!

Hi folks,

Back to work after the holiday, and Clare and I got up to the BOI with the little 250 motorbike for some camping. Good fun and we went to the Tall ship race on the R. Tucker Thompson square sailed schooner. What an amazing boat.

The schooner dream lives on, though Our Calendars were pretty much a flop. They just cost too much to print, Oh well. Better to have tried and failed... thanks to those who bought one. We really do appreciate it.

Anyway a good time was had by all and I had my first Hangi after over 2 years in NZ. Quote of the night... " "Are you going to eat that fat?" The race just got me jazzed about the tall ships all over again, and I remain officially obsessed.
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 23:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Did Clare get any photo's?? That could make a cool calander. But just posting them in the gallery would be as good.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 23:54   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
The R Tucker is quite an amazing boat, another mans dreams come true, along with all the years of hard work that Russell took to make it come alive, If you have the tenacity yours is possible too. Sad about the Callendars although I never found out how you were going to market them and never saw them for sale, I would think Stanley marine might handle them for you a lot of yachty's pass through there, at least you might get your initial outlay back. Where is the boat with the dicky gearbox and when are you planning to bring her to NZ?
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52   #4

Hiya, Clare took a bunch of photos but not as many as she would have liked (nearly impossible for her I think). They are in the camera but I will post them when she gets around to downloading them. Some good shots of the Breeze, Spirit of NZ and the Soren Larson in there, as well as some cool private boats. Amazing that the boat was finished by his son who was only 17 when his father died. What a cool kid he must have been to pick up that welding gear and finish a giant 60 foot boat for his dad!

Cetacea is on the hard on an Island Called Raiatea in French Polynesia. Its a good reliable (though old and rusty) engine, the problem is with the stuff attached to it! Calenders are still posted on Trademe for anyone who wants one. Plan is to head there in early may to fix her and sail the rest of the way to NZ.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:29   #5

Boat: Stevens 47
Wow...I'd LOVE to see some of those photos....I laid all the teak flooring in the main cabin of Spirit of NZ when it was being commisioned....also did the foc'sle and main saloon flooring on Eye of the Wind (The sailboat in White Squall) many years ago...dunno if she is still in NZ...both are beautiful sailboats....I will be there for that regatta next year!!!...cannot wait to get home!!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56   #6

Boat: Trismus 37
Hi brian, looked on trademe under all listings but couldn't find your calender? What is it under?
I hope Cetacea lives up to your expectations and you can get her back to NZ without too many problems.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 14:34   #7

HI, Its is there, just do a search underpaperclip and it should come up. Now going for the bargain price of 10 dollars since we have about 70 more of em!
Old 14-01-2008, 16:26   #8

Hiya,

managed to upload a few of the Pics Clare took during the race. Good fun!

Tags
race