Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 08:13   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Awesome Picture

First thing I said when I saw it was...Holy sh..!

THIS IS A PICTURE THAT SOMEONE TOOK WHO WORKS ON AN OIL RIG. HE WAS GOING TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE LIGHTNING AND WAS UNAWARE OF THE TORNADO UNTIL THE LIGHTNING ILLUMINATED IT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado_lightning.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	5773  
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I would have needed a change of trousers if I had seen that!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. This would have been one of them!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Is it real or is it photoshop? I'm thinking the dark band two thirds up the derrick should be white or lighter at least.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47   #5

Boat: Hylas 47
Reminds me of the time I was standing outside watching the lightning off in the distance and mortars or rockets started raining down.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10   #6

Original image taken by Fred Smith in 1993 of a waterspout illuminated by lightening on Lake Okeechobee, Florida. Here's an article about his famous photo.

The photo posted by the OP is a poor attempt at photoshopping.
skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:24   #7

Boat: C&C 38'
Quote:
Is it real or is it photoshop? I'm thinking the dark band two thirds up the derrick should be white or lighter at least.

Take it from a former derrick man that the dark band two thirds of the way up the derrick is a canvas encloser to give the derrick man some protection from the cold wind. The derrick man leans out into space and slaps a stand of pipe into the elevators as they come roaring up toward him at about 30 mph. The derricks that I worked on used three joints of about 30 feet each to make one stand. Working derricks is hard, scary, dangerous work but it paid 75 cents per hour more than working on the floor so I had to go for it. The man that took my place was hit by the traveling blocks and knocked to the drilling rig floor ninety feet below, killing him. The operator that made the error was his daddy. I still shudder to remember it. The operator was later burned to death by an oil well fire.
I survived the oil patch and kept all my fingers and toes and I am proud of it!
We kept on working during thunderstorms in the Texas plains when our derrick was the highest thing for miles in any direction.
God spoke and I became a missionary. It is a lot cleaner and safer too!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:28   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatastrophy View Post
Original image taken by Fred Smith in 1993 of a waterspout illuminated by lightening on Lake Okeechobee, Florida. Here's an article about his famous photo.

The photo posted by the OP is a poor attempt at photoshopping.

One of the problems with the internet, can't believe what you read or see.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13   #9

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Can we get the great white shark in there too? Seriously though, a water spout w lightening. Hmmm, I'd think about quiting sailing...

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
LOL

Another X oil field trasher here.

We once had a twister within 3 miles of one of our rigs in Oklahoma..When I was Drilling for Alaska United Drilling...The rain was blowing 90 degrees to the ground.

I was instructed by the pusher to stop tripping pipe hook up the kelly..leave her slowly circulating and rotating and get everyone down below around the preventers till it either passed by or we had to make a run for itBelieve me..during tornado season everyone is listening to the weather watch and rarely do these things just "Sneak" up on you..I knew it was a fake as soon as I read that part about not knowing about it being there... As close as that thing looks they would have heard it.!!

Oh by the way... it passed by and we never did see it even though there was a ton of lighting but we could hear it.

FWIW...In all the years Drilling I have never seen a rig hit by lighting either...weird

And Being a Derickman was one or the best jobs I ever had..I loved it...wish I was as strong now as I was then.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:38   #11

Also, why would there be trees growing on an oil rig??? FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 13:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
According to numerous other websites, the image is not real. It is a composite of two photographs. The image was manipulated to combine two different photos, one of an oil rig (origin unknown), the other of a nighttime waterspout illuminated by a lightning stroke over Lake Okeechobee, Florida, taken by amateur photographer Fred Smith.

Amateur photographer Fred Smith photographed the waterspout and lightning on June 15, 1991 from his backyard overlooking Lake Okeechobee, Florida. He was taking pictures of a lightning storm when he got lucky and snapped a shot (bottom) of a waterspout illuminated by a flash of lightning. The photo subsequently appeared on a calendar, and in 2001 it became available for purchase online. Soon after it began circulating via email -- usually with incorrect captions that described it as a photograph of whatever tornado had most recently been in the news.

In early 2008 an unknown hoaxer pasted an oil rig into the picture and added the "not what you want to see" caption. This version has been circulating ever since.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:05   #13
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
What SHOULD have clued me off (but didn't) is that an exposure short enough to show the detail in the lightning strike should have dimmed the oil derrick almost into the background (this would be the results you'd expect for an auto-exposure camera). An exposure that would show the oil derrick should have produced a severely washed out lightning image. Also, the lightning should have produced marked glare on parts of the derrick. A single exposure should not be able to produce the results shown. But I fell for it...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:39   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I wouldn't be surprised if the original 1993 waterspout picture was a composit also. I have seen lots of waterspouts but never one that looked like that.
But then I am a cynic.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote