Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2021, 17:29   #136

Re: Are we alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarci View Post
Long day cruising, at anchor, pitch dark above and beautiful starry night. We spend many evenings up on the bow gazing at the stars having conversations about things such as life out there. IMHO, we are not alone - in having such discussions while sailing. Maybe we are not alone, so relevant post for this sailing site. As relevant as how to tie a monkey fist or bantering about composting toilets versus using pump out system (or a plain old bucket) .... but do the aliens appreciate sailing as a mode of transportation or an activity. Boating requires a romantic affinity for the water. Sailing brings out the poet, the dreamer, the adventurer in each of us. Why the hell do it otherwise? It is slower, more expensive and more cumbersome than most other modes of travel. Yet here we are, each of us loving boat cruising enough to subscribe to a site where we can wax nostalgic and trade knowledge about the subject as the winter stove shines a cherry red glow on the wall through the early evening twilight. I think the real question is do aliens have the capacity to appreciate boating? Cause if they do, we have more competition for the prime anchorage spots.
I hope they do exist. maybe if they do and are watching us, they leave us in peace because we can, in our better hours, appreciate what we have and they respect that, for better or worse.
Old 13-01-2021, 17:34   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing928 View Post
We are all made from the same star dust, so if you can tap into spirit we are already connected to any thing and every thing all the time.

It alters your thinking and respect to our earth and every thing else
As some eastern philosophies have beleived for millennia. good point...if there is indeed a cosmic 'connectedness' we are already in contact with every single life form. talking to them or communicating with them may lie within the realm of our internal mind, not external advances.
Old 14-01-2021, 03:30   #138

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Yes, Fermis's Paradox is the problem.

It's a pretty simple idea, really. If there are so many habitable planets, and so much life around, where is it ?

Unless there is already a "galactic governing body" of some sort waiting for us to get to a certain level before they introduce themselves, I see only a couple of choices left.

If there was an "Independence Day" type species, we probably wouldn't be here anymore.

Or there is nothing but us. Or perhaps it is so rare, and long distance space travel so impossible, that we'll never know.

I don't see many other possibilities.
Old 14-01-2021, 03:40   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Yes, Fermis's Paradox is the problem.

It's a pretty simple idea, really. If there are so many habitable planets, and so much life around, where is it ?

Unless there is already a "galactic governing body" of some sort waiting for us to get to a certain level before they introduce themselves, I see only a couple of choices left.

If there was an "Independence Day" type species, we probably wouldn't be here anymore.

Or there is nothing but us. Or perhaps it is so rare, and long distance space travel so impossible, that we'll never know.

Wel,I think we all tend to underestimate the problems inherent in the distances involved. Faster than light travel may well be impossible, and “wormholes” if they exist may be unusable as travelators. Sub-light speed travel means that interstellar travel is so impractical as to be only undertaken in the direst circumstances, ie the destruction of a solar system, say by a supernova. But why bother to find another planet? Life would have to be maintained for thousands of years in space anyway, so why not just get on with it?
Arthur C. Clarke’s book ‘Rendezvous with Rama’ is perhaps a conceivable scenario.
Even if life is unique to us in our galaxy, there are billions of other galaxies, so I don’t think Fermi had the last word.
Old 14-01-2021, 04:27   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... It's a pretty simple idea, really. If there are so many habitable planets, and so much life around, where is it ? ...
... Or there is nothing but us. Or perhaps it is so rare, and long distance space travel so impossible, that we'll never know.

I don’t know about you, but the things (possibilities) I don’t know, would represent the vast majority of current human knowledge, which, itself, may be (or not)*, but a small fraction of the “knowable”.

* This would be among the things, I don’t know (I’m a veritable cornucopia of ignorance).
In, fact, I don’t even know if there is anything “unknowable” (wouldn’t it be a paradox, to know of something unknowable?).
"what I do not know I do not think I know", often paraphrased as "I know that I know nothing." ~ the Socratic Paradox, from Plato

Would that Tolstoy were right:
“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of a doubt, what is laid before him.” ~ Leo Tolstoy

Old 14-01-2021, 04:55   #141

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I see nothing but possibilities. "Unknown unknowns" if you will.

I don't "believe" or disbelieve anything not adequately proven. With a sample size of one and a profound ignorance about an incomprehensibly vast universe, it's just not possible to form a reasonable opinion.

People sometimes forget that we're not obligated to pick sides. To paraphrase Red Green, it's OK to say those three little words men hate to say: "I don't Know."

That said, in the face of uncertainty one can only play the odds. The odds are pretty good that this little speck we inhabit is not unique in the universe.
Old 14-01-2021, 05:10   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I don't "believe" or disbelieve anything not adequately proven. With a sample size of one and a profound ignorance about an incomprehensibly vast universe, it's just not possible to form a reasonable opinion.

People sometimes forget that we're not obligated to pick sides. To paraphrase Red Green, it's OK to say those three little words men hate to say: "I don't Know."

That said, in the face of uncertainty one can only play the odds. The odds are pretty good that this little speck we inhabit is not unique in the universe.
Indeed!

Old 14-01-2021, 05:13   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Yes, well said.
Old 14-01-2021, 05:43   #144
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!

Yes, Indeed Captn.
Old 14-01-2021, 06:43   #145

Boat: Rafiki 37

Proof!
Monolith spotted beside highway intrigues Calgary family
Old 14-01-2021, 07:27   #146

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh common on, it's clearly relevant. Interactions with "aliens" is a key aspect of the cruising life .
yes, i've been to key west and seen for myself. many aliens in town, dinghy dock, surrounding Wisteria, and on Wisteria living.
Old 14-01-2021, 08:35   #147

We’ve had one here too. Being flogged off on e-bay is a bit of a bummer when you’ve come half way across the Galaxy, isn’t it?

Isle of Wight beach monolith removed and up for sale https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-55289736
Old 14-01-2021, 09:00   #148

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
We’ve had one here too. Being flogged off on e-bay is a bit of a bummer when you’ve come half way across the Galaxy, isn’t it?

Isle of Wight beach monolith removed and up for sale https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-55289736

Well, I bet the gas bill is pretty steep coming from that far away .
Old 14-01-2021, 11:06   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An extraterrestrial intervention is occurring in the world.
People are being taken against their will.
Human freedom and sovereignty are under threat.
Intervening alien forces seek to subjugate the human family.
They plan to occupy our world through hidden infiltration, deception and lies.
Alien forces are poisoning the well of spirituality.
No true ally of humanity would intervene in our world.
This is a Greater Darkness in the world, something that most people are too afraid to think about.
Humanity must awaken to the danger of alien contact.
This new spiritual message for humanity will prepare us for the reality of life in the universe.
More of this crap Revelations ➥ https://www.begin.newmessage.org/ali...waAq6yEALw_wcB

Now, these are alienshttps://twitter.com/i/status/1298025292179607559

Old 14-01-2021, 11:21   #150

Where do I find the crackpot thread? This must be close. My wife wants to join.
Closed Thread