Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2009, 20:24   #1

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Anyone else "dock" golf?

I have an astroturf golf mat that I roll out on the end of the docks and whack balls into the abyss.

My ex girlfriend said it's stupid, but quite frankly she ain't the brightest bulb ya know?

When I need some quiet time there's nothin better than a great drink, a Montecristo #4, and some dock golf. It's usually a late-night activity, after a few drinks have been had, as it's sort of frowned upon. Usually quit when hit something that sounds expensive.

I'm praying that I get the end slip this year so I can dock golf my ass off.

Anyone else do this or am I an idiot?

Cheers

Bill

PS: Unless you are hitting staright out toward the ocean I recommend you only use a 6-PW

PPS: Please don't give me any crap about the environmental effects of my golf balls on the river bottom... I don't wanna hear it.
Old 15-01-2009, 20:31   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I stay on the 19th hole.....I don't care what others do, as long as their golf balls don't land in my Rum and Coke...:-)
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 20:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
They make floating balls. That way, you can go retrieve them the next morning, if you keep track of the wind.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 20:44   #4

Boat: naver 29
golf balls must cheap over there, i could never afford such an extravagant hobby!
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 20:51   #5

Quote:
i could never afford such an extravagant hobby!
Practice balls baby...

Trick is to bag a few balls everytime ya go to the range. I've even bought full buckets at the range, turned right around, and headed to the docks bucket in hand, hahahaha.

Cheers

Bill
Old 19-01-2009, 11:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
I like your style, I use to dive for golf balls of the golf course here. Find alot of great expensive balls in less then 20 feet of water. If I had a fly bridge I would shoot them off the boat but hard to do with a sailboat.
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 11:13   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Don't know where you do this but U.S. Federal and many state statutes prohibit this and have done so since the mid 1990s.
I post this not to start a debate over the merit of such "pollution" but only to say that doing so subjects you to civil penalties and there is sufficient case law to demonstrate assessed damages as well. May not make sense but it is true!
If it were me, I'd find a driving range...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 11:17   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Anyone else "dock" golf?
No can't say that I have.

But In my younger days I would go to the range with my 2 brothers and we would hook the balls over the big nets and into the houses that lined the driving range. It was also fun to try to hit the tractor that would drive around scooping up the balls.

I like your style also .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 11:48   #9

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Don't know where you do this but U.S. Federal and many state statutes prohibit this and have done so since the mid 1990s.
I post this not to start a debate over the merit of such "pollution" but only to say that doing so subjects you to civil penalties and there is sufficient case law to demonstrate assessed damages as well. May not make sense but it is true!
Please tell me this is joke. If not lets hope President Obama's first priority is to to rescind this law.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:02   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Twenty or thirty years ago, I took a crew into Death Valley National Park to shoot a Michelin tire commercial. One of our locations was Ubehebe (YOU-bee-HEE-bee) Crater, the remains of an extinct volcano.

Our gaffer, a man in his late-fifties at the time (but with the disposition of an incorrigible teenager) was a dedicated golfer and took his clubs everywhere he went, just on the chance that there would be a place to play golf.

At Ubehebe, he thought it would be a real kick to drive some balls into the crater, and proceeded to do so. He thought it was pretty funny, I guess, but the park ranger who was accompanying us . . . well, not so much. He informed us that unless the gaffer climbed down to the bottom of the crater and retrieved every one of the balls he had hit into it, the ranger was going to shut down filming and banish us from the park.

It's permitted to climb down into the crater, which is more than 500 feet deep, but there isn't exactly a maintained trail to do so. It's mostly unstable scree - a bit like walking on ball bearings - but the old gaffer had no choice and went down into the crater.

It took him almost two hours to descend to the bottom, search for his golf balls, and climb back up to the rim - and we were worried that he might not make it. We had been told that all filming had to stop until all of the balls were retrieved, but after the gaffer was well-down into the crater, the ranger let us go ahead (one hour alone was probably costing about $10,000).

Once the gaffer was gone, the ranger lightened up considerably and we all had a good laugh at the offending crewman's faux pas. He came out of the crater with only two balls (we were surprised he found any), but I always suspected he had those two in his pockets when he climbed down.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're thinking of doing something that seems like you're stepping over the line, think twice before you do it. The unintended consequences can be a real bitch!

TaoJones

PS: Ironically, there's an area within Death Valley National Park called The Devil's Golf Course. It's an area of such forbidding terrain, that "only the devil could play golf" on its surface according to the 1934 National Park Service guidebook. Our gaffer was a devil, for sure, but his interest in golf that day had already declined considerably.
Old 19-01-2009, 12:22   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Please tell me this is joke. If not lets hope President Obama's first priority is to to rescind this law.

Not a joke and I didn't make it up - regardless of how silly we (me too) think it is, people have been fined for it. Hopefully Obama has more important thing with which to concern himself.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 13:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
Practice balls baby...

Trick is to bag a few balls everytime ya go to the range. I've even bought full buckets at the range, turned right around, and headed to the docks bucket in hand, hahahaha.

Cheers

Bill
You steal golf balls from the range and hit them into the water. You must be very proud

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 13:26   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44
If he keeps it up and he'll be sitting on the group w bench with all the others
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 20:12   #14

Quote:
If he keeps it up and he'll be sitting on the group w bench with all the others
Hmmm, what's this w bench and who are these others? Avid golfers such as myself?

Hey randy, you know how to be a condescending you know what, you must be proud as well...

Good times though, what a thread

Cheers

Bill
Old 19-01-2009, 20:41   #15

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Dang,
and I always thought there was a golf ball fish as I keep finding them when I'm out diving in the strangest of places.

2divers