Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 20:40   #31

Re: Any Other SCUBA Divers on the Forum?

PADI dive master as of a couple of years ago. I'm glad I studied and took the classes to learn all that beyond the "basics" of diving, and I'm probably in the water at least once a month, more if there's good diving around. I keep it pretty shallow typically and a lot of the time I'm diving by myself so I keep it close to my chest. A lot of divers die around here. Labor Day weekend the choppers dropping people off at the chamber in Catalina just kept coming, and they found a guy dead on a rebreather maybe five hundred yards from our boat.

Talked the rescue guys and they said in their view it was usually around dive 100 that people had accidents. Just far enough along that you think you've seen everything and that basic safety precautions aren't relevant because you've never needed to do a CESA or hop out of your gear in 99 dives so why would this time be a problem?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 20:49   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I just go!~ and if I dont return ....lots of bubbles and then???
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 20:50   #33

Got my PADI open water certification back in the 1980's in Key West. Dove in the BVI's, Bonaire, Hawaii, Cayman's and Ragiroa. Girlfriend got her certification but, her bad back and the weight no longer makes it "fun" for her. So don't do much anymore. Have a hookah set up on board my boat and mostly use it for cleaning the bottom. Agree with Canibul hookah is still fun without having to put on all the SCUBA gear and then try and walking around on a pitching deck.
Old 02-10-2012, 21:16   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Am I the only YMCA certified diver. Basic, Advanced Open Water, Cavern, Cave, Search and Rescue; circa 1981. Now I dive with a Hookamax and love it. Just got back from diving with whale sharks off Mexico. All free diving, no SCUBA allowed per Mexican govt. Their country, their rules.

Without pix it did not happen

Facebook
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 22:48   #35

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

I am not sure I should get back into it. Certified in 1972 but the last time I did any diving was 1980. Now at 55 I am thinking about buying some equipment.

Trouble is the equipment is very different, no more J Valves and everyone goes dry suit. I would be unfamiliar with the gear and diving alone. Hmmm ...
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I am not sure I should get back into it. Certified in 1972 but the last time I did any diving was 1980. Now at 55 I am thinking about buying some equipment.

Trouble is the equipment is very different, no more J Valves and everyone goes dry suit. I would be unfamiliar with the gear and diving alone. Hmmm ...
You got your cert at age 15? I think the minimum age was 16. You are one year older than me. I got my first card in '72 too. My dad was NAUI instructor, a friend of his signed off after completion of the required tasks. You would be the 1st person I have heard about besides myself to be certified younger than their twenties.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I got a bigger boat just so I could put a Bauer Junior Compressor aboard

Scuba Diving
Old 03-10-2012, 04:14   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Not dived for probably 10 years.

But I am a Certified PADI Advanced Diver - and that "training" included a solo night dive (return to boat alone as drank all me air early ). I guess a good job I could already read a compass .

One day I will learn how to swim .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30   #39

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not dived for probably 10 years.

But I am a Certified PADI Advanced Diver - and that "training" included a solo night dive (return to boat alone as drank all me air early ). I guess a good job I could already read a compass .

One day I will learn how to swim .
Agreed. Under the PADI system(there are few alternatives thesedays) you don't necessarily have to be able to swim without fins.

David a few more quid and some more dives and you might make divemaster and with a bit more instructor.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:19   #40

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I got YMCA and NASDS certified in 1968 at age 16 and the admiral was certified a year before that. Our primary reason for cruising is to transport ourselves to new and out of the way dive sites. I was on the State of Florida Marine Research Lab dive team for 6 years in the 80's.

I was very sorry to hear that the YMCA was no longer certifying divers. My son and daughter were certified in the 90's, him YMCA and her PADI. IMNSHO the YMCA program while not as rigorous as it was in the late 60's was still far superior to the basic PADI open water program. The PADI program seemed to be mostly oriented towards keeping the dive shops selling stuff than it was keeping you alive in the water. Now PADI is about the only option out there.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11   #41

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

What was the original question??? Oh well, I got PADI certified in Egypt in 1985 by Mohamad himself. I had not dove recently until last week when I went to Roatan Honduras to meet up with my kids who are traveling to south america on motor cycles. Anyway, I forgot how much fun it is. I dove off my boat a lot while in California but here in east coast not that exciting. IN number 18140.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12   #42

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
You got your cert at age 15? I think the minimum age was 16. You are one year older than me. I got my first card in '72 too. My dad was NAUI instructor, a friend of his signed off after completion of the required tasks. You would be the 1st person I have heard about besides myself to be certified younger than their twenties.
I passed the course with Wilf Rimmer in Kamloops BC in July but had to wait until my 16th birthday in December to receive my certificate.

Back then the US Divers offered the course as well as I remember, are they no longer in business?

What's with the abandonment of the J Valve anyway, replacing it with all the diver computer stuff, octopus guages and spare regulator etc is really better?
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I passed the course with Wilf Rimmer in Kamloops BC in July but had to wait until my 16th birthday in December to receive my certificate.

Back then the US Divers offered the course as well as I remember, are they no longer in business?

What's with the abandonment of the J Valve anyway, replacing it with all the diver computer stuff, octopus guages and spare regulator etc is really better?
I too passed my test when I was 15 (min was 16) but dad was the instructor. He inadvertently gave me ID saying I was older ( boy that came in handy).
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:30   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
I was certified in Pueblo, Colorado by a NASDS school. I heard NASDS no longer exists, so I reckon I'll be taking classes again!
NASDS was subsumed into SSI, and for twelve years they offered free replacement cards.

Unfortunately, you just missed the window. SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com
Old 04-10-2012, 19:43   #45

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

I started diving in 1966 after taking a course at Michigan State University, but it wasn't 'til I returned from overseas as a Special Forces officer that I became a PADI SCUBA instructor, OWSI #4039. I later qualified as a YMCA, and NAUI instructor, CMAS and British Sub Aqua (BSAC) came later. I taught until 1983, mostly police and fire rescue. I was also one of the few around that did underwater demolition in the Midwest. I still dive, just not as often ... and now only in warm salt water ... tired of recovering dead bodies in zero visibility (which I did until 1990).

P.S. Know of one PADI instructor with a number lower than mine, his is something like #1004, and he owns Divers Supply in Indianapolis, but still dives as far as I know in southern Florida .....