Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 09:21   #1

Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

You may think this is a silly question. But I will ask it anyway. I'm looking and planning as much as one can, for my life after land. In my thinking I am looking at my life expectancy coming from a long lived blood line and making plans accordingly.

I know I may not live for the next 30 or 40 years but I am looking at the case of what if I do.

Are there octogenarians plus out there cruising? If so what are the challenges if any?

My father lived till he was 84. Good eyesight, hearing, heart, no arthritis and a mind that was as sharp as a tack. Unfortunately he snored in his sleep and his Doctor talked him into having a nasal operation. The hospital made an error with the anesthetic and he passed away on the operation table. Given my fathers longevity in great condition and most likely if he hadn't been done in by the local hospital would have lived at least another 10 years I am wondering if I am to be graced with the same length of time on this planet if it makes sense to plan to live the coming part of my life to its inevitable end afloat.

So this is why I am asking the question about life aboard by those in the over 80's years and how living aboard is working out.

I know planning for long life is kind of silly since you really have no idea when its your time to go but not planing is probably more silly.

By the way, looking forward causes me to consider such things as buying a new boat that will be still a good boat in 20 to 30 years as apposed to an already aged boat. Buying a slip with a low annual tax if any so that I have a shore based place where I can enjoy life at a low cost in between journeys.

Any experience and advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

I am 68 and plan this boat being my last residence. My older relatives that didn't smoke or drink heavily lived into their 80s and 90s. No cancer I know of.
I had many joint/bone injuries over life that has led to arthritis and the usual pains that made me move from sail to power a long time ago. But I operate my current boat, often solo, and do almost all of the repair and maintenance. The boat is wood and built in 1942. I have the knowledge and skill to keep the boat going, but as I age, sometimes hire workers to do what I don't have the strength or stamina to do by myself. Especially rebuilding the mains and some major reconstruction.
In my youth I was a shipwright and like wood boats, but don't recommend them for everybody. But, I see myself maintaining this life indefinitely. The boat should easily outlive me. Being a vet and I have no fear of the eventual end, alone or not.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15   #3
cruiser

I know of several in their late seventies who continued on by taking on one crew member or switching to a powerboat also with crew.

In each case the additional crew member was very nice, professional and very qualified. It can be done.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I know of several in their late seventies who continued on by taking on one crew member or switching to a powerboat also with crew.

In each case the additional crew member was very nice, professional and very qualified. It can be done.
Thanks Kenomac. Some would say a cat is a powerboat with sails.

I think a crew member or one or two people who would like to share the cruising dream could be a great solution in the distant future. One thing I do believe is that keeping active, mentally and physically is definitely great for your health and longevity. Sailing with exercise.

Regards,
Chaya
Old 01-09-2016, 10:53   #5

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I would think there is no better way to ensure longevity than living in a boat, hopefully surrounded by fresh air and nice scenery, and typically having to be active every day with the various tasks on board.
Compare that to snoring in front of a TV in some drab nursing home...!

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:11   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Yep, you don't stop doing the things that you love because you grow old. You grow old because you stop doing the things that you love. As well evidenced by all of my Grandparents, & Great Aunts & Uncles, who all lived well into their 90's. And were as vibrant, sharp, & feisty as they were, back when I was still in diapers.

It's not a hard thing to see. Doing it, well, that's another matter. One that hopefully we've all made a habit of from a very early age.

PS: I've raced offshore with quite a few guys in their late 70's. And Dennis Connor did the Whitbread (Volvo) Race in his mid-60's. As have a good number of other sailors of note, on various brutal ocean races. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Luc_Van_Den_Heede

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 15:37   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I won't reach 80 for another 18 months, but I have greaat hopes of continuing cruising at t hat time. One never knows...

It is undeniable that aging reduces strength, agility and "immortality" in general. Our sailing style has become gentler, we fly the kite less often and reef earlier and so far that has accommodated our general degeneration.

Jim
Old 01-09-2016, 15:51   #8

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

well I'm planning on going down with the ship...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 15:59   #9

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I have a friend that just turned 85. He maintains his Hinckley in a pristine condition and brags he has never had to call a tow company. He moves around the boat like a "spider monkey".
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 16:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I won't reach 80 for another 18 months, but I have greaat hopes of continuing cruising at t hat time. One never knows...

It is undeniable that aging reduces strength, agility and "immortality" in general. Our sailing style has become gentler, we fly the kite less often and reef earlier and so far that has accommodated our general degeneration.

Jim
Congratulations Jim. You certainly are an inspiration. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2016, 16:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I am 68 and plan this boat being my last residence. My older relatives that didn't smoke or drink heavily lived into their 80s and 90s. No cancer I know of.
I had many joint/bone injuries over life that has led to arthritis and the usual pains that made me move from sail to power a long time ago. But I operate my current boat, often solo, and do almost all of the repair and maintenance. The boat is wood and built in 1942. I have the knowledge and skill to keep the boat going, but as I age, sometimes hire workers to do what I don't have the strength or stamina to do by myself. Especially rebuilding the mains and some major reconstruction.
In my youth I was a shipwright and like wood boats, but don't recommend them for everybody. But, I see myself maintaining this life indefinitely. The boat should easily outlive me. Being a vet and I have no fear of the eventual end, alone or not.
I love your attitude.
Old 01-09-2016, 16:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
I have a friend that just turned 85. He maintains his Hinckley in a pristine condition and brags he has never had to call a tow company. He moves around the boat like a "spider monkey".
Absolutely wonderful. So it can be done. Thats what I wanted to know. Now for the planning for the next 20 to 30 years.

Thanks for the input everyone. I know its not a deep technical question I raised but I think an important for me at least. Like working out a flight plan for a very very very long journey.

too all.
Old 01-09-2016, 16:15   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Just don't wait till your 79 before you start...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 16:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just don't wait till your 79 before you start...
I have more than a few years before that milestone is met. :big grin:
Old 01-09-2016, 17:51   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Well, I'm working on it.........

Tilman was lost at sea aged 84....

Tags
cruise, cruiser