Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Your warmth is our cold.
We are having the coldest end Nov, beginning Dec since records began.
Minus 21 deg celcius last night in One Scottish village. My local forcast for this evening is -10 c
That sounds rather nipply cold.......i2f
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I call male bovine excrement, as I'm sitting in S Florida freezing my ARSE off!
The headline refers to global average temperatures, not anyone’s casual observation of local conditions.

WMO Press release #904
2010 in the top three warmest years, 2001-2010 warmest 10-year period

“... The global combined sea surface and land surface air temperature for 2010 (January–October) is currently estimated at 0.55°C ± 0.11°C (0.99°F ± 0.20°F) above the 1961–1990 annual average of 14.00°C/57.2°F. At present, 2010’s nominal value is the highest on record, just ahead of 1998 ...”

Here ➥ WMO statement on the globa climate in 2010
http : //www . wmo.int/pages/mediacentre/press_releases/pr_904_en.html

Old 02-12-2010, 12:27   #18

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
denier logic:

"I hate Al Gore, therefore climate change is a hoax."
Neumann, it has been cold here every day for two weeks... Therefore climate change MUST be pure fiction. Everyone knows that there is absolutely nothing that humans can do on Earth that Mother Nature can't handle. Only an over-inflated ego could even suggest such a thing. Need proof? Remember when we had polluted several rivers and lakes to the point where they could actually catch fire? Poof! Mother Nature handled them with ease! Clean as a whistle today. You can even sail on them!

All of the above is sarcasm. There is little use in posting climate change info, as you will see the same posters spouting the same rhetoric time and again. There is a script somewhere that they have purchased, and memorized, and you can't rewrite it. Recently my eyes were opened about what the World can REALLY do about climate change, and most of this is hard to argue with. I heard a nice gentleman on NPR (uh-oh, he's commie pinko) who made more sense then anyone I've heard on this topic. He started with Polar Bears. Seems that a bunch of Polar Bears die every year. Most die from poaching, by far the biggest killer of Polar Bears (100 to 1), but climate kills a few, and will kill more each year. An incredible amount of money is being devoted to and set aside to lessen human effected climate change, often in the name of polar bears. I forget the exact amount, but it's hundreds of millions to billions for each bear killed by temperature change. The Polar Bear is NOT the correct way to advocate for and make this case. The expert offered this: simply stop poaching, and divert the funds to develop alternative energy sources such as wind and solar technologies. The impact of greater efficiency on pollution, the climate, and our economy would be far, far greater then current half assed strategies devised so far. Who in America wouldn't like to lessen our dependence on foreign oil and gas? Cap this, trade that? How 'bout we get serious and innovate? Clean, long lasting solar and wind generation, along with efficient use of this energy (like us cruisers don't do this everyday) are the paths toward truly reducing our Human contribution towards climate change. IMHO

PLEASE look up "bjorn lomborg" on NPR and listen to his interview... It's fascinating!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28   #19

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
That sounds rather nipply cold.......i2f
They wouldnt know buried under a vest, tee, rugby shirt, fleece and two coats, then theres the thigh length sox and the thick sports sox, fleece lined boots with extra thick foam soles, the furry hat and gloves, scarf..............and im STILL cold.

Shouldnt have lost so much blubber should I?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
there is plenty of evidence they (global warming 'scientists') are ignoring weather stations in remote parts of china & russia while continuing to rely on weather stations in areas that have been overrun with urban growth, creating heat islands around these temperature recorders. Thus skewing the global temperature readings over the last decade or so.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Waiting for this globull warming thread to be locked...

Ayn Rand
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

polar bear populations are getting larger, despite poaching.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
There is little use in posting climate change info, as you will see the same posters spouting the same rhetoric time and again. There is a script somewhere that I have purchased, and memorized, and you can't rewrite it.
I made one little correction for you.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
there is plenty of evidence they (global warming 'scientists') are ignoring weather stations in remote parts of china & russia while continuing to rely on weather stations in areas that have been overrun with urban growth, creating heat islands around these temperature recorders. Thus skewing the global temperature readings over the last decade or so.
Care to share your sources of that evidence?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:53   #25

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere

I made one little correction for you.
You forgot to mention Al Gore in your reply. Your card in now revoked. I hope you're happy! ;-)

Please cite your sources on Polar Bear repopulation. Also on whooping Cranes and Bahamas Rock Iguanas. :-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 02-12-2010, 13:37   #26

Boat: grampian 26
Global warming Climate change El Nino La Nina. I can,t keep up any more. For what it's worth the planet has been cycling through warming and cooling periods long before we were around and will continue to do so long after we are gone. I fail to see how anyone can extrapolate the planets demise with so little data. It's not like we've been collecting data for the last 2000,000 years.
Old 02-12-2010, 13:44   #27

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Care to share your sources of that evidence?
A lot of that stuff is found here:

Climategate

Old 02-12-2010, 14:13   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Methinks you may be confused.

When did the United Nations ever award a Human Rights prize to any Nation (Cuba, China, or other)?
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / OHCHR Welcome page

From Wikipedia:
“The United Nations Prizes in the Field of Human Rights were instituted by United Nations General Assembly resolution 2217 in 1966. They are intended to "honour and commend people and organizations which have made an outstanding contribution to the promotion and protection of the human rights embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in other United Nations human rights instruments".
They were first awarded in 1968, and they have been given out at five-year intervals since then...”

United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Includes a listing of ALL recipients
I was getting at the same thing. Watch out, though. Facts can be dangerous to one's POV.
Old 02-12-2010, 14:17   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Whoa, now there is a new one, to me at least. I guess I don't listen to RL often enough.

Those darn satellites should be reprogrammed, I'm sure.

perchance, could you point us to some of those "well known" sources?
Old 02-12-2010, 14:18   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
A lot of that stuff is found here:

Climategate

"Climategate" was nothing of the sort and anyone whose followed it knows that:

“Climategate” | FactCheck.org