Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 22:11   #1

Boat: Havent Bought It Yet
Alcoholics Anonymous and the Sailing World

And are there any on the water meetings for us Alcies on the west coast of Canada?
markmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 22:52   #2

Hello Mark mark. Re AA on the water. None that I know of in Vancouver. However the Alano club is walking distance from False creek and has numerous meetings 7 days a week. Interesting idea. I've got a 51' sloop at shelter island and might be interested in having a small meeting.
gunboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 23:51   #3

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Thinking any time there its two friends of Bill W and coffee on a boat , its a meeting
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 00:07   #4

Re: Alcoholics Anonymous and the Sailing World

So what......... just fly a flag that has the universal AA triangle, with a word like "meeting?" or "meeting on the beach?" on it. No doubt I'd do it, on shore with a nice fire blazing. It would always be a hit and miss scenerio, unless you always go back to a same spot/anchorage/slip at the given time(s).

Brings back a cool meeting memory where an old school type AA'er had 12 stones, painted 1 to 12 around the fire, flipped over so the #'s were concealed and the newcomer either to AA or the meeting would flip a rock and hence a step/tradition meeting would start. Always a packed meeting, loved that one.
Old 25-09-2011, 09:33   #5

Boat: 1974 islander 44
If you were always going to be on the same area , you could probably list it with inter-group . Maybe go to a few meetings in ever local area and announce your intentions .

Not sure how many of us there might be on boats in any given area . Intact out seems that a lot of wine and margaritas seem to be more the norm in the boating scene.........
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:13   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You can wager that with a boat name like "Alchemy", people make assumptions one way or another, but I am neither an abstainer nor a drunk. Frankly, as I feel rather strongly that boozing and cruising is a bad mix from a functional and legal view (apart from addiction issues), I have to say that running a boat certainly cuts into the wine-imbibing. By the time we are packed away for the night, a sniff of a cork will put me into a deep sleep!

Obviously, the "cruising lifestyle" is a tough choice for a recovering alcoholic, as the tendency of objects at rest or at anchor seems to be to get a skin on many evenings. How that squares with operating a tender in the dark is unknown to me, and not something I'm eager to experience, personally.

To your concerns, however, I would suggest the use of Cruisers' Net on the SSB or even special websites with the sort of SPOT "here I am" boat locator maps. The facts are likely to favour one-on-ones, given the demographics, but as I gather a lot of strength to stay sober comes from pep talks from fellow recovering boozers, I would imagine that would have to suffice.

The flag idea has merit, and perhaps a mention on a boat card would get the word out, if you are on the "listening" side of the AA equation.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:41   #7

Boat: Santana 2023C
Alchemy has to do with turning base metals into gold. I do not understand the relationship to alcohol.
Printbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:35   #8

Boat: Ohlson 38

When I first bought my boat I too was concerned about the drinking culture seemingly inherent in the cruising lifestyle, but have been pleased to discover that we AAs are as prevalent amongst boaters as we are everywhere else. Just the other day I passed a woman in the lounge who was doing a google search for meetings in Deale Va. It ended up with four of us carpooling to a meeting.
Just an FYI for non alcoholics...after the initial detoxing and stabilization, focus is more on personal, spiritual (not religious), emotional growth, and fellowship, rather than abstinence. It really is a lot more than just not drinking. If it were otherwise, I suspect it would be less painful for me to just die a drunk. IMHO
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:44   #9

Been thinking about this for awhile now.

Seen a few pictures of people in magazines drinking wine or whatever while on their sailboat or power boat.

If anyone were to sit in a truck/suv/car with a glass of wine you'd get busted for "Care & Control" (even if the automobile was turned off) which is the same as a D.U.I. charge as far as the law is concerned. And in the States, they are much harder on these types of offences, meaning you do jail time quicker and longer then in Canada. Depending of course on the % level and the history. Out on the water, it must be pretty slack, true enough there are less police officers, rc's or coast guard to patrol per square mile, and you can probably spot them a mile away, unlike in the city or rural areas. But im sure there are way more sitting, docked and "having a few"

Ah its nothing really, just got to thinking about it that way.
Old 03-10-2011, 18:53   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Call AA World Services in New York....they sent me contacts for Bermuda and The Florida Keys.....

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=28

My Motto for every day is..."Just How Happy Do You Want To Be?"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:45   #11

^^ya, ya I've been in AA for 10 years now, probably know the steps better then most "long-timers/oldtimers". Took me about 5 years to find some old school AA people to teach me, through Big Book Studies. I did do alot of meetings the first years. AA meetings become more of a social club (talk about their day - whatever, rarely ever hear about a disease concept or cycle nor obsession of the mind allergy of the body, basic step one stuff etc etc....even if theres 100 newcomers or 1st meeting'ers in the meeting, how did your day go?????? ya thats what they need to hear) atleast in my area anyway. They have a master list of meetings, but then again I can just call up any "central office" and find a meeting. Thats one of the reasons I am kicking it into the Pacific, been to Vancouver many times but its too big and probably the same BS as here. Small towns is where its at.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just read an artice in the PY mag the day after I was pondering it all.

Seems "the law" takes an easier stance on live-abourds. Zero stance on open container, but while operating they'd probably slap ya with a ticket, unless drunk drunk then they'd slap ya with a court date and maybe a blow into a machine onshore. Which is what I guessed, I can usually spot circumstances and outcomes a mile away anyway. But I'm sure you cant be outright drunk otherwise they'd just "up charge" you and see where the cards fall. I know they figure into it all, that most people just plead guilty anyway, without fighting it. Whether they do it themselves, get duty counsel, legal aid, or hire an pricey attorney.

Societal influences would suggest that if on a motorhome, same circumstances, the officer in any circumstances would just charge ya "see you in court" type deal.

Anyway my major concern is I lost my driving license, I do get it back in a few years, after I pay cash and do a course or 10 (who knows the government is full of BS and some even have a accent from "afar" I doubt they even speak french which I thought every government official has to speak to work for the canadian government).

Due to a few DUI's and many driving with no license. I did learn my lesson when I went to provincial jail for the first time in my life for being sober, but driving with no license a few times in a row within a year. Usually it was always a $3k no insurance fine, about 1 a year is "allowed" not 4 in a year, then you do some time, which is no big deal, I didnt even flinch at a 4 month sentence. But I guess they are cracking down on it all like everything else. I was rig dogging trying to make a living, sober, but breaking the law. I laugh sometimes when I see alot of people running reds and a host of other stuff, I never did that while dui'ing. But I did learn my lesson, I dont even move bosses truck even on private land (which is not "illegal").

The major concern is the outboard motor. Due to my many DUI's over the years the judge says I cant "drive" or "operate" any motorized "vehicle" on "public" land/waters. But I am guessing I wont get boarded by any government B.S. agency (even for a safety of vessel deal), unless they are out to "get me". My only problem in life has been drinking, and drinking n driving. And its related leagal issues. Docking, would be an issue, I will have to scope it all out before hand, or just anchor out 100% and not be paranoid (I dont even jay walk no more). Again though, its all pretty slack out on the water until something happens then they their eyes widen.
Old 28-10-2013, 01:21   #12

Boat: Amel, Maramu, 46 ft

Thank you all for posting on AA and sailing. Big concern for me, a beginner in sailing but an oldtimer in AA. Ritual drinking of "aperitif" and endless wine tasting on French boats did bother me. No more alkies in the sailing world than anywhere else I guess, but being in a boat prevents leaving the place if you feel uncomfortable with the scene (especially if you are far out at sea with no helicopter at hand-). It is important to know that there are other sailors with the same concern. I am sailing in France (for the time being) with other French sailors and AA is not prevalent among them, I can assure you.
Maramu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 06:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Maramu.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 08:38   #14

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I poked around for a source for a burgee with the circle and triangle. No results. Anyone else?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:45   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

We are bringing an AA burgee to fly....
sausalitosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, alcoholics anonymous