Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 23:52   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Did you notice in the picture that someone thinks a POS Mustang convertible is so special that it needs to go by air.

No accounting for other people's priorities, I guess - LOL.
Yeah, I did notice that and fail to understand that as well. Even if the 4th generation mustang convertible is a desireable model overseas, how it is so different from another car that it has to be had immediately is beyond me. I think you're right, in cases like this it's probably the buyer themself who is more unusual than the car/yacht.
Gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 02:50   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Thanks again for the input here. We leave first week of January now. Had to push back do to holiday on the other end.

Honestly though I knew a group this diverse would have answers. Thank You The problem was solved from a lead here.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 04:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
Honestly though I knew a group this diverse would have answers. Thank You The problem was solved from a lead here.
Bill,
I hope that wasn't meant as an insult. We are quite a diverse group in expertise and geography. We do on occasion run into topics we have no experience in. I think most here don't live under tight time constraints or have the ability to perform the function you requested.

Please stay and enjoy, the knowledge can be overwhelming on some topics.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 04:53   #19

An insult? No
A sincere thanks? Yes

I think you are underestimating the members here. We all did something before we sailed. And my guess is many here do more than just sail now.

I am sure there are doctors, lawyers, pilots, engineers, bums.......
My question was related to boating more or less. One guy had the exact answer I needed.
I frequent a scuba forum and a flying forum. Its been my experience that there are many many members lurking daily who don't join in the day to day dialog but read every post. When they see a question they and have the answer they join in. I bet it would be hard to find a problem that nobody here has an answer for.
Old 23-10-2008, 05:03   #20

Since you found a solution. Do you mind posting the results for future searches.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 05:12   #21

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous View Post
I attached a picture of a large motoryacht we got a little while ago, it's not great but it at least shows how it's oriented in the hold. It's still sitting on the cradle which rests across the flatracks. You can also see that they've removed the bowsprit and part of the rail to make it take up less space on the ship. Hope my employer doesn't mind, if I get fired you have to get me a job down in NZ.
That's a decent size boat, looks like it's taking up about about 32 TEU's space?

I would love to see a photo of that size boat hanging on a crane if you ever get the chance.

We definitely haven't had any boats that big come through our port, since I've been there. And I can see that it would have to cover two hatches if it were fore and aft, so I see why it is loaded as is.

I take it you are an ILWU member? I will be in Melbourne next week at the MUA's national youth conference, representing MUNZ, maybe some ILWU members will be there also?
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 05:14   #22

We are using a nose loading 747.

It turns out there are several of them in service. Kalitta Air has the most and a few airlines have 1 or 2.

They can take very long loads right through the front of the plane. By using scheduled service vice a non-scheduled destination we are saving thousands of dollars.
Old 24-10-2008, 17:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcnz View Post
I would love to see a photo of that size boat hanging on a crane if you ever get the chance.

I take it you are an ILWU member?
I attached another one that shows it being lifted, the cradle makes it really simple.

I'm actually the lazy manager that sits up in his dark tower pretending he can run things from the inside out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010037.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	5620  
Gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote