Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 12:15   #61

Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

As a n00b and mostly reader not poster, I’m inclined to agree with the OP.

Another forum I post on (focused on motorcycles, not boats) simply has subs where politics is allowed and subs where it isn’t. Like here, the mods are volunteers: overworked, unpaid, underappreciated. Posts that don’t conform get booted to a sub forum of church/state/money and the worst get booted to a locked forum where only mods can move them. Usually if your post goes there, there’s a good chance you’re getting a little “vacation” as well.

The folks complaining about censorship and first amendment rights amuse me. Well, dismay me. It’s a private forum and ownership sets the rules. Similarly, the first amendment has nothing to do with private censorship of speech, just government censorship. Don’t like being censored? Obey the rules or go elsewhere. Start your own forum. Or an Only Fans. Whatever floats your boat, so to speak.

IMHO, there’s a vast gulf between where the the American Left and Right think they stand and conversations will rarely fail to go down the toilet and engender hard feelings. I’ve nuked a few relationships over the past 4 years because the novelty of being told I was an idiot for believing what I did instead of what they did wore off.

For folks who want to discuss politics, there are endless places for it. Don’t really see an advantage here.

But hey, not my forum and I’m just a guest.

/soapbox
Old 16-12-2020, 12:43   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The beautiful thing about forums is, no one is forced to participate in any conversation they find distasteful. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. If it really bothers you, put it on your ignore list.

I fully agree there is way too much American politics. But again, no one is forcing you to read it, and certainly not to participate in it. If a thread devolves into silliness, just move on. That's what I do. No big deal.

I don't get this drive to control what others say.

What bothers me more are those who substitute insults for discussion or debate. That I have no time for, and nor do the mods. But politics DO matter for cruisers.

I speak against the motion .
Mike,

While I generally agree there is one class of incident where I do wish for some further moderation. The example that comes to mind is climate change. When tuis topic comes up there is a small cadre of folks that overwhelm it with negative comments. This then crew ip the topic for those that do want to have a sensible conversation.

So i would like to see someplace here where we could have those conversations without all the negative noise. And I would also support a place for the “antis” to congregate and voice their opinion. Perhaps another example would be “mono vs cat”, I don't know.

So I would vote for someplace for some “protected” conversation because there are those who just want to **** on others topics, and then just leaving the thread empowers that bad behavior.

I am not certain how to do this kind of moderation. And of course it would only work if some mod(s) agreed to the effort.

2¢.
Old 16-12-2020, 12:53   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Like the OP I’m a Canadian.

Unfortunately Canadian politics are to dull and boring to infiltrate Internet forums, and interesting Canadian forums where Canadian politics might interfere don’t exist.

So we make do with American and British politics.

Sorry I thought was a late night joke thread.
The ironic thing is...I would estimate upwards of 50% of the political drift with comments on the US system is from non-US posters. Many have only a sketchy idea of what is happening or only see it thru their point of view. Some I'm sure are just trying to poke a nerve and sometimes they do hit one.

American politics has always been rough and tumble...not nearly as civilized as back in the old world (as if).
- Vice Presedent Burr and former Secratary of the Treasurey Hamilton had a duel.
- Lincoln's campaigned on his career as a wressler.
- Teddy Roosevelt was in many ways analogous to Trump. The party really never wanted him as president but things spun out of the parties control. Then he was a wrecking ball in terms of the political status quo.

There are plenty more but these are a few of the more well known examples...far enough back that they are unlikely to hurt peoples feelings by pointing them out.

As long as things stay civil and it has a bearing on the thread topic, I don't see any issue with a spirited discussion.
Old 16-12-2020, 13:00   #64

Well, the problem isn't just Politics, opinionated old guys set in their ways will destroy a thread just as easily arguing over a nit. I just opt out of those and actually find myself here at CF less than I used to by a lot.
One thing I've learned in life: What I was sure of 10 years ago ain't what I'm sure of now! Some never learn that.

As far as the "if you dont like a thread don't participate" goes.... I don't agree with that at all. As far as I'm concerned "you guys go out in the parking lot and have it out" works better. So please Mod's kick them off a thread.!
Many threads have good content, unfortunately that content disappears while people argue.

Old 16-12-2020, 13:42   #65

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into being a moderator, and thank them all for their efforts, as well as our host here.

I'm a moderator on another forum, as are some here. We get heat because our website is too technical, the girls don't get to post their pretty doily pictures!!! But, sputter, they could if they wanted to.

The Covid section was a good idea and allowed people to vent. Perhaps there was was some spillover (a nautical term used in refrigeration systems) from one special section of the entire forum to another. But it helps to anchor (a nautical term to mean connected to avoid drifting) us all in learning different things when discussion offsets (a nautical term used in navigation).

I think limiting the number of posts on any given topic is absurd, because Dockhead's Course to Steer topic would never have gotten finished (a nautical term used in ropes or lines) otherwise. There are any number of quality topics that have page after page of great information. A solution in search of a problem.

I do object to the answer where when asked What time is it? they tell you how to build a watch, recently seen in many of the Electrical and battery threads, where voltage (a nautical term used to describe some ancient Frenchman) is sometime lagging. But sometimes they do tell you it's 1234, but then confuse things by asking what zone you're in. Zoned out?

I even find some posters who spout (a nautical term used to identify large sea life) off and it turns out that when they show up in political (i.e., Covid denial) discussions I get reinforcement (a nautical term meaning to strengthen something) that I wasn't far from wrong in seriously questioning their technical knowledge, too. It's good to learn who to ignore - I just read past them, don't bother with the forum "tools" (a nautical term meaning implements used to fix things). Tools also has other meanings...

Keep up the good works and words folks. Don't let the naysayers give you any grief.

And don't forget that one and only thing the orangeman did: The War on Xmas is finally over!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 16-12-2020, 14:15   #66

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Wink Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

Anyone want to talk about plough anchors then
Old 16-12-2020, 14:17   #67

Boat: Catalina 42

I know I'm just a newbie here, but the epiphany for me was to hit "ignore" on the ENTIRE Covid forum.

Night and day difference in the forum experience [emoji3]

Dan
Old 16-12-2020, 14:31   #68

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I am a member of a sailing organization which has an active forum community. We have relatively strict guidelines and three topics are “always off-limits: Sex, religion, and politics”.
This is enough to keep most trolls away and personally I find it refreshing.
Old 16-12-2020, 14:59   #69
cruiser

The vast knowledge base that had existed on this and other sailing forums several years ago has exited as a result of either being expelled, banned or cyber-bullied by the cabal. I’ve personally not found much of any value remaining, just bickering and posturing by armchair sailors afraid to go anywhere.

There’s still some of us out there actually cruising full time, but we don’t have the time or patience to get involved.

Pam
Old 16-12-2020, 15:13   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If I may be so bold, speaking as an outsider, the problem with American politics is not that there is disagreement. It's more that your politics have become tribal.

In reality, the Republican and Democratic positions on most things really aren't that far apart. As I mentioned elsewhere, the political range in the USA is quite small compared to most other democracies. Both your D and your R are firmly in the upper right-of-centre quadrant of political thought. So the divisions are not really about policy or philosophical approach.

They're about "my team" vs "your team." This is what makes them so intractable.

What's interesting is how recent this phenomena is. I recall studying political science back in the late 80s through to the early 00s. The USA was held up as an example of a country where party labels meant little. There was no where near the kind of block voting ("party discipline" as it is called here) that happens in other parliamentary democracies. That was seen as a strength of the American approach.

All this changed somewhere along the line. Somehow, parties became symbols of which side one was on -- symbols of the tribe.

There is a very long but worthwhile explanation. Short answer - blame Disney!

Seriously, this is a seriously good and thoughtful read. Even if hou need ro skip some parts you are already familiar with.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2019/08/story-of-us.html
Old 16-12-2020, 15:16   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OrincoFlo wrote:

Quote:
cyber-bullied
YES, I fine that goes on. But I dont have a good recommendation in how to stop it.

Old 16-12-2020, 16:05   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Personally I'd like to see ALL threads limited to 100 posts. If you can't get to the meat of a matter in a 100 posts then it just ain't gonna happen. After a 100 posts we get the deniers, the all knowing political gurus, the ones that think War and Peace should have been one post, the ones that start with 'no one has mentioned' even though its been posted 3 times already, the slow decline to the first Nazi reference,.........
Think how much less moderation would be needed if threads were limited to a 100 posts.
That is mostly true. But as a poster with threads longer than 100 posts, not all threads have “an answer”. Some are/were setup as a discussion that can go on forever. But ones asking a specific question are answered in first couple of pages and the rest is normally thread drift and the only ones still reading are part of the drift. The issue is if they got to stay on track long enough before the drift to get answered.

If i see a topic i feel like reading, thinking that I may have input but it already has a lot of responses, i just don't read as the topic is already got.
Old 16-12-2020, 16:34   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

would anyone like some cheese and crackers with their whine...
Old 16-12-2020, 16:43   #74
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
would anyone like some cheese and crackers with their whine...
Yes

I like cheap wines, Beringer White Merlot
Just orginal Ritz cracklers are fine and perfered
Cheese - chedder, jack, swiss etc. are good. As long as not the smelly foot cheese it is good

Thanks for doing this.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:38   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

how 'bout sum oysters on a cracker, I do a mean oyster cracker....a dash of onion, a hint of caviar, some horseradish.....wash it down with your white merlot....yum.....

glad to be of service here.....my pleasure
Closed Thread

Tags
cal