Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 04:20   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Like I proposed above, stopping all threads at 100 posts would do a lot to improve CF. This one has hit it's useful limit.
No.. it would just make it like the several other forums I am a member off but stopped visiting not long after joining..
For me the attraction of CF is the more freewheeling style of the forum.. there's plenty of other forums out there that are overly PC and over regulated if that is what your after, no need to be like the nonsmoker walking into the smokers bar then complaining about the smoke..
Guess you won't read this as you've unsubscribed after your 100 rule..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-12-2020, 04:23   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That presupposes that the climate is changing "rapidly" in comparison to previous changes.

That's probably the first "fact-based discussion" that should occur.

It's OK... my wish has already been shown to be impossible here. Thanks though.
Old 18-12-2020, 04:30   #108

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

While I don't know whether I agree with it, several recent threads are proving the OP's point.

My first reaction is that it would be interesting to take a deep dive into the facts supporting the various opinions cited above. Especially if it could be done in a respectful tone.

However, common sense tells me that this isn't the place for it.
Old 18-12-2020, 05:23   #109
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
While I don't know whether I agree with it, several recent threads are proving the OP's point.
t.
Actually the last couple of pages of this thread prove it.
Old 18-12-2020, 06:07   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Would I need to wear a blazer, and shoes and socks ? Sounds way out of my social boat scum level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Actually the last couple of pages of this thread prove it.
I assume your referring to off topic posts like this..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-12-2020, 06:47   #111

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes and unlike a life jacket there are rules to say you will wear it in the club bar

You will also want the club emblem on the pocket so you can identify any imposters.
What, no Ascot?? (apologies to Boatie)
Old 18-12-2020, 07:12   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's OK... my wish has already been shown to be impossible here. Thanks though.
Yup. Most everyone seems to have a piece of the True Cross and waves it about. Tiny little bits of rationalization for uninformed partisan positions.

This thread has pulled me a bit towards the OPs position, and I'm more inclined to sympathize with the mods who view the non-cruising political bunfights with dread.

At the moment, I'd be just fine with the mods closing any such threads that prove to be stale rehashes of entrenched positions, threads that are all heat and no light.
Old 18-12-2020, 07:46   #113
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I assume your referring to off topic posts like this..
No those were official trolling

I was talking the politics being posted pro and con as they posted positions of con and pro for them.
Old 18-12-2020, 08:01   #114

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

If you don't like a thread or the way it develops, don't keep reading. Nobody forces you. As if we are not being restricted enough already...
Old 18-12-2020, 08:04   #115

Boat: Hunter 386

What we really need is a meta-thread where we can critique the various strategies that high-volume posters use to derail threads and/or egg on their opponents. That way we can identify the worst abuses (and abusers [from both sides of any given argument]) and lock down threads after they have fallen into the same old established patterns. Perfect use case for AI

In other words, we need a "poking the bear" gif!

Old 18-12-2020, 08:35   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
If you don't like a thread or the way it develops, don't keep reading. Nobody forces you. As if we are not being restricted enough already...

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand, or follow. The whole beauty of forum tools is that no one has to even see a message if they don't want to. I really don't understand this need to try and control what others want to discuss.

For example, and as I said, anthropogenic climate change is off the table because of the direction too many posters here insist on taking it. It is a very important topic for cruisers, there's no point trying to have a reasonable discussion about it here. So I don't even try.

If there are other topics that are similar for you, then simply move on.
Old 18-12-2020, 08:57   #117
cruiser

Well, I’m the one who started this thread and my position is reinforced watching it spin out into politics, climate change and various other distractions.

It is my suspicion that not much will change on this forum until some sort of action starts to get taken against the usual suspects who seem to change nearly every thread to their own soapbox.

The only benefit that I have seen from here is it is quite easy for me to see who needs to go on my ignore list. Mike O is first. Not because I disagree with him about climate change but because that topic did not need to get repeatedly harped on in this thread. Go start your own if it means so much to you.

I will also wade through and see who the ones speaking politics were. I know Mike was on there so he will get double ignored. And a few others.

It’s not that I disagree with these topics being spoken about. Simply go start another thread if you want to talk about these things. They don’t need to contaminate nearly every thread on here.
Old 18-12-2020, 09:06   #118

Boat: Corbin39

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was an internet where forums were called BB's (bulletin boards) and they had a strict set of protocol. No one complained about their rights to free speech being snuffed out because everyone understood that if you signed up for the BB that you were agreeing to the terms of use. It was absolutely expected that everyone remain on topic and the mods were always there and never too busy to reprimand or eject an offender.
I'm with the OP and it is the primary reason that I do not frequent this forum much anymore.
Old 18-12-2020, 09:08   #119
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
Well, I’m the one who started this thread and my position is reinforced watching it spin out into politics, climate change and various other distractions.

It is my suspicion that not much will change on this forum until some sort of action starts to get taken against the usual suspects who seem to change nearly every thread to their own soapbox.

The only benefit that I have seen from here is it is quite easy for me to see who needs to go on my ignore list. Mike O is first. Not because I disagree with him about climate change but because that topic did not need to get repeatedly harped on in this thread. Go start your own if it means so much to you.

I will also wade through and see who the ones speaking politics were. I know Mike was on there so he will get double ignored. And a few others.

It’s not that I disagree with these topics being spoken about. Simply go start another thread if you want to talk about these things. They don’t need to contaminate nearly every thread on here.
Sounds like a plan.. feel free to add me as well..
Assuming I was not the first on your list..

Old 18-12-2020, 09:23   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
...The only benefit that I have seen from here is it is quite easy for me to see who needs to go on my ignore list. Mike O is first. Not because I disagree with him about climate change but because that topic did not need to get repeatedly harped on in this thread. Go start your own if it means so much to you.

(Not that KS is going to see this post )

See how easy it is? Instead of trying to impose your will on everyone else, just use the tools that are already provided.

BTW, you've obviously not been here long if you think anyone has "harped on" about climate change here. You have no idea how much harping this topic leads to ... which is why I usually don't bother participating in those threads.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal