Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 04:12   #1
cruiser

A call for mod action and user restraint

Board members

Like many of you, I have followed this forum for many years. In fact, I followed it for years before I officially signed up and took on a user name.

For me, this board was a wealth of information that was of great assistance. I could ask questions, get informed answers and generally enrich my mind with knowledge. It was great.

In the last year or so, I find myself becoming disappointed with the quality of the content. It seems many threads devolve into political mud slinging. Completely off topic of the thread at hand. Most of the politics is focused on US issues.

As a non US person, it is disgusting how much US politics invades the rest of the world - and these threads.

A request for the mods - generally you folks have been doing great work. The recent lock of one of the BVI threads was fantastic to see. Could you start to enact those powers more frequently please.

A request for other users. As a group, let’s generally try to stay on the thread topic. Yes, these are like conversations and they ebb and flow, but please try to add pertinent comment to what is at hand. This helps all readers., both now and in the future, to review the conversation and find answers.

This is not about threatening free speech. It’s about trying to keep the threads useable to all.

Please take your political bs somewhere else.
Old 14-12-2020, 04:59   #2

Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

I’m curious about this utopian world you strive for. Can you describe anything else we’re likely to see there which we don’t in the real world?
Old 14-12-2020, 05:01   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Mods are volunteer, they do a great job but are limited in being able to be monitoring all threads.
If you see a disruptive or political post, report it! That brings it to the mods attention and they can decide how to deal with it.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:08   #4

Boat: no boat any more

More "Blockwart" s!!!
Old 14-12-2020, 05:10   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

The beautiful thing about forums is, no one is forced to participate in any conversation they find distasteful. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. If it really bothers you, put it on your ignore list.

I fully agree there is way too much American politics. But again, no one is forcing you to read it, and certainly not to participate in it. If a thread devolves into silliness, just move on. That's what I do. No big deal.

I don't get this drive to control what others say.

What bothers me more are those who substitute insults for discussion or debate. That I have no time for, and nor do the mods. But politics DO matter for cruisers.

I speak against the motion .
Old 14-12-2020, 05:10   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I second the OP. Excessive thread drift and politics kill too many threads. People click on a thread to read that topic, if you want to drift start new one. And unless the title had something about politics in it, any political post is excessive drift (go post that on FB for your friends to enjoy).
Old 14-12-2020, 05:15   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Threads about political style topics are fine , but threads that start on a pragmatic topic which are then infested by political rants they need serious moderation , I had one recently where a topic on VAT and registration was infested by comments about “ commie Europe “ and Brexit style nonsense
Old 14-12-2020, 05:17   #8

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
i agree 100%, but it is the times we live in. Have i ever been in sync with the majority on any issue in my life?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 14-12-2020, 05:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Threads about political style topics are fine , but threads that start on a pragmatic topic which are then infested by political rants they need serious moderation , I had one recently where a topic on VAT and registration was infested by comments about “ commie Europe “ and Brexit style nonsense
Would that be the one you infected with the suggestion that to understand Brexit and Brexiteers one should read Ladybird children's starter books.
If you can't take the heat, keep your ingredients out of the kitchen..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:57   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
The beautiful thing about forums is, no one is forced to participate in any conversation they find distasteful. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. If it really bothers you, put it on your ignore list.

I fully agree there is way too much American politics. But again, no one is forcing you to read it, and certainly not to participate in it. If a thread devolves into silliness, just move on. That's what I do. No big deal.

What bothers me more are those who substitute insults for discussion or debate. That I have no time for, and nor do the mods. But politics DO matter for cruisers.

I have to agree with Mike.

Let me be clear: I'm not an advocate of the theory that "free speech" gives anyone an excuse to engage in diarrhea of the mouth. Using someone else's legitimate discussion as an opportunity to grind your personal political ax is anti-social and should not be condoned. Ad hominem attacks or the repetition of talking points or slogans are likewise unacceptable in a reasoned debate.
Old 14-12-2020, 05:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:

I also.

Old 14-12-2020, 06:01   #12

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I don't believe that it's practical for the already overstretched mods to be saddled with more work. There is a simpler remedy; user CP>Settings & Options>Edit Ignore List. Works like a charm.
Old 14-12-2020, 06:03   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Would that be the one you infected with the suggestion that to understand Brexit and Brexiteers one should read Ladybird children's starter books.

If you can't take the heat, keep your ingredients out of the kitchen..

No that was my response to that post. Untill then the thread was a pragmatic discussion about registration

I responded to the nonsense post but I didn’t start it.

In fact the posters injection felt like a drunks invective in a bar

My response was appropriate to being hassled by such a drunkard
Old 14-12-2020, 06:07   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:

+1 to dismiss the motion. Well said Mike!
Old 14-12-2020, 06:10   #15
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No that was my response to that post. Untill then the thread was a pragmatic discussion about registration

I responded to the nonsense post but I didn’t start it.

In fact the posters injection felt like a drunks invective in a bar

My response was appropriate to being hassled by such a drunkard

If you don't like the spin on a thread then just leave - Why would you add to it if you think it is distasteful or OTT?
Closed Thread

Tags
cal