Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:05   #31

Re: 3.2 billion years ago the Earth may have looked a lot like Kevin Costner’s ‘Water

H2o is a product of fire and therefor a product of vulcanism in the form of vapor I suppose.

The most flammable compounds contain carbon and hydrogen, which recombine with oxygen relatively easily to form carbon dioxide, water and other gases.
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 20:43   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: 3.2 billion years ago the Earth may have looked a lot like Kevin Costner’s ‘Water

I the earth coalesced from smaller bodies into a ball of molten metal and rock it would have boiled off any of the lighter more volatile substances and any atmosphere stripped away by the stellar wind.

When it cooled sufficiently this process would have ceased to occur allowing the earth to aggregate an atmosphere. CO2 not a problem, easy enough to produce dry ice but N2 a different matter. Plenty of O2 once you get life and photosynthesis and have CO2.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 21:06   #33

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The copier belt is full of icy asteroids
Old 10-03-2020, 04:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
The copier belt is full of icy asteroids
I don't know about the Copier belt, but the Kuiper Belt is a doughnut-shaped ring of icy objects, around the Sun, extending just beyond the orbit of Neptune, from about 30 to 55 AU.
There may be hundreds of thousands of icy bodies, larger than 100 km (62 miles), and an estimated trillion or more comets, within the Kuiper Belt. Astronomers think the icy objects of the Kuiper Belt are remnants, left over from the formation of the solar system. Similar to the relationship between the main asteroid belt and Jupiter, it's a region of objects that might have come together to form a planet, had Neptune not been there. Instead, Neptune's gravity stirred up this region of space, so much that the small, icy objects there weren't able to coalesce, into a large planet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:56   #35

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't know about the Copier belt, but the Kuiper Belt is a doughnut-shaped ring of icy objects, around the Sun, extending just beyond the orbit of Neptune, from about 30 to 55 AU.
There may be hundreds of thousands of icy bodies, larger than 100 km (62 miles), and an estimated trillion or more comets, within the Kuiper Belt. Astronomers think the icy objects of the Kuiper Belt are remnants, left over from the formation of the solar system. Similar to the relationship between the main asteroid belt and Jupiter, it's a region of objects that might have come together to form a planet, had Neptune not been there. Instead, Neptune's gravity stirred up this region of space, so much that the small, icy objects there weren't able to coalesce, into a large planet.
Thanks for that one Gord, "the copier belt" had me totally baffled.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03   #36

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Water we expel is recycled water, we don’t create water

Give me a beer and I'll create water.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:10   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I believe hydrogen fueled vehicles create water but suspect water was used to create the hydrogen
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 14:59   #38

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Thanks for that one Gord, "the copier belt" had me totally baffled.
I thought it was the one located near the Xerox constellation
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 21:27   #39

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Sorry for all the fun but the phone app wouldn’t let me edit or delete the auto correct. Must have been out of paper due to all the shoppers.
Old 24-03-2020, 09:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy1 View Post
H2o is a product of fire and therefor a product of vulcanism in the form of vapor I suppose.

The most flammable compounds contain carbon and hydrogen, which recombine with oxygen relatively easily to form carbon dioxide, water and other gases.
"Fire" does not create volcanism.

There are two main internal heat sources from the Earth: residual heat and radiogenic heat.
Quote:
The heat sources that drive modern-day volcanism are 1) heat released as a byproduct of radioactive decay and 2) residual heat leftover from the formation of the Earth. The relative contributions of these two sources to the overall heat budget are still not yet completely understood, but this is an active area of research. Current estimates of the relative contribution of radiogenic heat are imprecise and are thought to be as high as 80%, but a recent article published in Nature argues that only about half of the Earth's internal heat comes from natural radioactivity. Is the other half be contributed completely by residual heat or are there another heat sources that we do not yet understand? As the Earth began to form about 4.6 billion years ago, heat accumulated from kinetic energy imparted by collisions, subsequent gravity-driven planetary accretion, differentiation (separation of the Earth into compositional layers), and from the latent heat of crystallization released as the core cooled. Some of this primordial heat is still stored in the Earth today and is released by volcanism.
Volcanic gas | Wikipedia
Quote:
Volcanic gases are gases given off by active (or, at times, by dormant) volcanoes. These include gases trapped in cavities (vesicles) in volcanic rocks, dissolved or dissociated gases in magma and lava, or gases emanating directly from lava or indirectly through ground water heated by volcanic action.

The sources of volcanic gases on Earth include:
  • primordial and recycled constituents from the Earth's mantle,
  • assimilated constituents from the Earth's crust,
  • groundwater and the Earth's atmosphere....
The principal components of volcanic gases are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur either as sulfur dioxide (SO2) (high-temperature volcanic gases) or hydrogen sulfide (H2S) (low-temperature volcanic gases), nitrogen, argon, helium, neon, methane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen. Other compounds detected in volcanic gases are oxygen (meteoric), hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, nitrogen oxide (NOx), sulfur hexafluoride, carbonyl sulfide, and organic compounds. Exotic trace compounds include mercury, halocarbons (including CFCs), and halogen oxide radicals.

The abundance of gases varies considerably from volcano to volcano, with volcanic activity and with tectonic setting. Water vapour is consistently the most abundant volcanic gas, normally comprising more than 60% of total emissions. Carbon dioxide typically accounts for 10 to 40% of emissions.[1]

Volcanoes located at convergent plate boundaries emit more water vapor and chlorine than volcanoes at hot spots or divergent plate boundaries. This is caused by the addition of seawater into magmas formed at subduction zones. Convergent plate boundary volcanoes also have higher H2O/H2, H2O/CO2, CO2/He and N2/He ratios than hot spot or divergent plate boundary volcanoes
Old 24-03-2020, 09:59   #41

Water comes from Hydrogen and Oxygen, It's that simple with the right conditions. The Earth formed with those elements and was added to, and activated through heat, by incoming space debris.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:35   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ultimately, there is may not be a single origin for all of Earth’s water. The water we have, is probably some mixture, from all these different sources, and conceivably, from other ones, that we haven't even thought about yet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:50   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I believe hydrogen fueled vehicles create water but suspect water was used to create the hydrogen
I believe there are other ways to get hydrogen, it appears that electrolysis amounts to only 4% of the hydrogen production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water