Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 08:33   #1126

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I see your point, but these folks are not selling fiction, they are selling a window into their world so contrivances feel a bit more of a betrayal.
Ummmm... really? And Hot Housewives of Houston is real too? As a society we really need to get over the illusion that "art" can do anything more than barely imitate life. Even a well written book/journal of a sailing voyage is a pale imitation of the real experience and certainly not something to base you perceptions of reality on.

So no, they are not selling a window into their world. The moment they started selling it was simply entertainment.
Old 21-12-2020, 08:37   #1127

I have found a channel from youtube contributors which seems perfect to me;

1. They really are sailors.
2. They don't beg, sell or ask you to do anything.
3. They offer top notch technical information and details.
4. They do it all because they want to... not because they need to.

Their name is Biotrek-sailing.

Production values aren't the best but they appear to making great strides forward there as well.

Bonus: they also have a really cool dog which seems to be in some episodes.
Old 21-12-2020, 08:39   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Ummmm... really? And Hot Housewives of Houston is real too? As a society we really need to get over the illusion that "art" can do anything more than barely imitate life. Even a well written book/journal of a sailing voyage is a pale initiation of the real experience and certainly not something to base you perceptions of reality on.

So no, they are not selling a window into their world. The moment they started selling it was simply entertainment.
they are selling what makes money. I find it a bit crazy that there are people out there who believe this reality tv stuff. Its like believing that Big Brother on TV is real and not some scripted show. At the end of the day they run a business and a business exist to make money and these sailing reality shows prove that there are a lot of people out there that are willing to spend their cash on this.
Old 21-12-2020, 08:55   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
they are selling what makes money. I find it a bit crazy that there are people out there who believe this reality tv stuff. Its like believing that Big Brother on TV is real and not some scripted show. At the end of the day they run a business and a business exist to make money and these sailing reality shows prove that there are a lot of people out there that are willing to spend their cash on this.
I think there’s a bit of a difference between a huge production reality show and a couple shooting and editing videos themselves. I think a lot of the smaller channels are pretty realistic. Of course they don’t show all of the bad stuff but they only have 20 minutes of their week per video. Some of the bigger channels no doubt like to dramatize some stuff but compared to a real reality show on tv it’s pretty tame. At least Riley from lavagabonde isn’t getting a drink thrown at him right before a commercial break
Old 21-12-2020, 09:52   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
I think there’s a bit of a difference between a huge production reality show and a couple shooting and editing videos themselves. I think a lot of the smaller channels are pretty realistic. Of course they don’t show all of the bad stuff but they only have 20 minutes of their week per video. Some of the bigger channels no doubt like to dramatize some stuff but compared to a real reality show on tv it’s pretty tame. At least Riley from lavagabonde isn’t getting a drink thrown at him right before a commercial break
I agree with you, that makes it even more weird that people are willing to throw money at these tame reality shows. That being said, I like some channels

Sail life: the ultimate diy dude, Ive been watching his channel for a long time and i'm still amazed that he is willing to throw money and all his time at this Warrior 38. My prediction, he will go cruising with his long distance gf who does not know anything about the cruising life, she wil hate it and he will be busy rebuilding a cat for 10 years

Free range sailing: just likeable and down to earth, cruising grounds are different then the usual Carribean stuff which makes it interesting.

Alluring Arctic: high latitude winter cruising

Erik Anderaa: for me the ultimate real sailing channel with a Norwegian viking who smokes, drinks beer and eats canned cold meatballs in some pretty rough conditions.

All the rest, I pick some episodes here and there when their are doing a passage, for the rest not interested in the baby, toddler and bikini episodes
Old 21-12-2020, 10:26   #1131

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Ummmm... really? And Hot Housewives of Houston is real too? As a society we really need to get over the illusion that "art" can do anything more than barely imitate life. Even a well written book/journal of a sailing voyage is a pale imitation of the real experience and certainly not something to base you perceptions of reality on.

I understand your point and think it has merit, but these sailing couples are leading us to believe what they tell us about their situation is real. When they do something like misleading us and crying on camera about how desperately they need money to fix the dire problems they are facing, and then we find out they have kickstart accounts and regular income from their videos that exceeds what most of us make, then that’s a different thing than a tv “reality show” that we all know is BS right up front.
Old 21-12-2020, 13:04   #1132

Boat: C&C36R, 1970

Was watching Atticus and reading head down... heard the termite news..... thought to myself just before she proceeded to blubber: aha the biological clock is alive and bigger boat (for a new crew member) or bail out of the gig altogether. And then she mentioned baby. Its fun having ESP. Really enjoy watching Sailing Wave Rover, Kevin Boothbay, Wind Hippe, Sail Life,and Sailing Cloud Bay.
Old 21-12-2020, 17:31   #1133

Boat: '99 Hunter 410

Atticus is up to almost $70 thousand for their new boat on their Kickstarter page.....now they're talking about just raffling off the old boat with the termite/water damaged bulkhead, since their followers are basically giving them their next boat.
Old 21-12-2020, 18:02   #1134

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
I agree. Why spend precious ticks of the clock watching someone else sailing, when you could be doing it yourself? Then being asked to donate my hard earned boat dollars...

I watch at home when I can't be sailing.

My picks in rough order:

tied for 1:

Ran and Free Range. These are the two that I would actually miss if they went away.

The Wynns. I know, I know, I even call them Ken and Barbie and their facepulling gets tiresome but they make really high quality videos with good pacing and high production quality. They were also the second channel I found after a now defunct channel whose name won't come to mind now.

M and J Sailing. Realistic, human and likable people that I enjoy knowing about.

I was watching Zingaro but something is lost without Kimmie not because she was almost too cute to be true but she kept James grounded and brought some needed order and structure to the videos. On his own. James' video editing is sloppy, disorganized and leads to boring videos.

Builders: Always Leo and Tally Ho. Six Points and the diesel duck and "The art of boatbuilding." Rapidly losing interest in Salt and Tar.

Notably, I've never made peace with either Delos or Vagabond. Not sure why. I can't abide The O'kellys and generally eschew any videos where everybody is simply too cute, infantile or otherwise unrelatable. Click baitey titles are also a turn-off.

Kurt
Old 21-12-2020, 19:48   #1135

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZee View Post

M and J Sailing. Realistic, human and likable people that I enjoy knowing about.

Notably, I've never made peace with either Delos or Vagabond. Not sure why. I can't abide The O'kellys and generally eschew any videos where everybody is simply too cute, infantile or otherwise unrelatable. Click baitey titles are also a turn-off.

Kurt
I like M&J too, they seem pretty real and don’t seem desperate for clicks.

I’ve only watched a couple vagabond but their whole deal with the cat turned me off, then the circus stunt of crossing the Atlantic late last fall with their baby onboard, so I have no interest in them.

But because of this thread I checked out a couple of Delos vids they did last summer right near where I sail in Maine and I enjoyed them a lot. Barely a scene that doesn’t include their adorable baby girl but isnt every parent pretty fascinated by their first baby? They seem like a nice couple and I may watch more of theirs. I’m curious what it is about them you don’t like?
Old 22-12-2020, 00:50   #1136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I like M&J too, they seem pretty real and don’t seem desperate for clicks.

I’ve only watched a couple vagabond but their whole deal with the cat turned me off, then the circus stunt of crossing the Atlantic late last fall with their baby onboard, so I have no interest in them.

But because of this thread I checked out a couple of Delos vids they did last summer right near where I sail in Maine and I enjoyed them a lot. Barely a scene that doesn’t include their adorable baby girl but isnt every parent pretty fascinated by their first baby? They seem like a nice couple and I may watch more of theirs. I’m curious what it is about them you don’t like?
If people didn't like Delos in the past they should give it another shot. Brian kicked everyone off the boat lol. Just him and his wife now + baby. Brian is also the real deal. He can fix pretty much anything, very knowledgeable in general. I do see how people were turned off by Delos in the past though. It was a little sailing doodlish/party vibes every once in a while. Whole lotta nudity lol.
Old 22-12-2020, 04:11   #1137

Boat: Pearson 33-2

I can't send any of these people money. I have my own hole in the water I throw money into.
Old 22-12-2020, 04:40   #1138

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
If people didn't like Delos in the past they should give it another shot. Brian kicked everyone off the boat lol. Just him and his wife now + baby. Brian is also the real deal. He can fix pretty much anything, very knowledgeable in general. I do see how people were turned off by Delos in the past though. It was a little sailing doodlish/party vibes every once in a while. Whole lotta nudity lol.

Just the opposite here. I liked the older delos videos more. I'm past the "having kids age" so not my thing. Brian is the real deal though, just not as entertaining for me as it was.
Old 22-12-2020, 05:08   #1139

Quote:

This comment makes me really sad
Haven’t you ever been brought to tears and lofty highs
by music?
Haven’t you ever been moved to emotional peaks and valleys
by viewing art, paintings, drawings, dance?
Haven’t you ever time traveled by reading books, been to
places you’ve never traveled too, met characters you’ve never met in
person?
The value and purpose of art is not to Imitate Life
But to Enhance It, Bring out the colors, Provoke emotion
Too Make Us More Human
Neil
Old 22-12-2020, 05:41   #1140

Boat: J Boats J/46

Check this channel out if you are looking for real sailors, with a cool boat, that actually know how to sail, know how maintain a boat, and do things right...or at least try to

Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard