Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 01:22   #931

Boat: Ranger 22 #207
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Erik is indeed a true gem, and quite the sailor to boot. The North Sea is a fierce beast that I have no desire to ever battle my way across, certainly not alone on a boat the size of his.
Old 24-07-2020, 16:59   #932

Boat: Jeanneau 27

Had to unsubscribe, lavagabond first one I ever followed. Wasn't aware they were given the cat. Show has just turned into look at all the free stuff we get, slips houses .....etc I get it covid id going on but it's been this way for a while.

Normally I would be the first to say thank god rednecks have a sense of humor and can laugh at themselves but today's vlog just came off as preachy to me. This is how these people from this country of this race and socioeconomic background all think. Pretty sure that if it were any other group youtube would have pulled their channel down.

As a traveler I have always found it in bad taste to disparage people from countries I am visiting.
Old 24-07-2020, 17:02   #933
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
Had to unsubscribe, lavagabond first one I ever followed. Wasn't aware they were given the cat. Show has just turned into look at all the free stuff we get, slips houses .....etc I get it covid id going on but it's been this way for a while.

Normally I would be the first to say thank god rednecks have a sense of humor and can laugh at themselves but today's vlog just came off as preachy to me. This is how these people from this country of this race and socioeconomic background all think. Pretty sure that if it were any other group youtube would have pulled their channel down.

As a traveler I have always found it in bad taste to disparage people from countries I am visiting.

They weren’t given their $800k cat
Old 24-07-2020, 17:04   #934

Well he's talking about selling it. I assumed it was on loan for the advertising
Old 24-07-2020, 17:06   #935

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:

Haven't seen them in a long time. They weren't given their boat though. Not sure what you think their socioeconomic background is. Neither of them are educated past highschool, one was a blue collar worker, and the other one a hippy chick with no money. Plus they are Aussie I'll let that speak for itself
Old 24-07-2020, 17:11   #936

Well it's either that or they were making a lot more from youtube and bought it. It's hard to sell something you don't own.

Didn't say anything about their socioeconomic group. He did a Little skit about ignorant hillbilly's
Old 24-07-2020, 17:50   #937

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:

disparaging people is bad but typical for a race and socioeconomic status? did you just day that with no detectable sense of hypocrisy?
Old 24-07-2020, 18:45   #938

Not quite sure what you a referring to. I did not use the word typical. Hypocrisy would infer I was making fun of someone due to their race, religion, socioeconomic status (bigot for shorthand) I don't see where I did that.
Old 24-07-2020, 18:57   #939

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

I really enjoy Free Range Sailing. An Australian couple circling Australia/Tasmania on a budget, in a 50 year, old 30' boat. They mostly live off the land and sea (free ranging), staying in remote areas. A very knowledgeable couple. The kind of sailing I'd like to do, affordable, peaceful and mostly away from people.
Old 24-07-2020, 20:31   #940

Well due to the posts on here I thought I'd watch the 6min La Vagabonde clip. Not in the slightest bit interested in what their plans are for their new boat. I found the comedy sketches (which is what they were) amusing.

Better to get on with life than be offended by what is obviously a little bit of comedy.
Old 28-07-2020, 07:33   #941

One my favorites as well, also like bums on a boat, gbu and the Litzenburghers.
Old 28-07-2020, 08:30   #942
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox9988 View Post
I really enjoy Free Range Sailing. An Australian couple circling Australia/Tasmania on a budget, in a 50 year, old 30' boat. They mostly live off the land and sea (free ranging), staying in remote areas. A very knowledgeable couple. The kind of sailing I'd like to do, affordable, peaceful and mostly away from people.
Troy is the real deal he crewed for me on a trip from cyprus to kenya 20 years ago when he was fresh off the pearl diving boats working in the NT.

nice guy
Old 28-07-2020, 08:40   #943

Boat: Tayana 37

The only thing I watch is Sail Life. Mads is funny, nerdy, and has some serious DIY skills. As I am looking at some DIY work in my future it also has helped me to temper my plans on how much I want to improve/replace at least initially.

Anyone know of similar DIY work channels or even a all around ailing channel which is heavy on DIY work?
Old 28-07-2020, 09:42   #944

Boat: Seaward 22

I was watching Mads on Sail Life Sunday....he's been working on Athena for something like 4.5 yrs. He must love it to do that much DIY. However, he has sunk a ton of money in that boat he will likely never see again.
Old 28-07-2020, 09:47   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I was watching Mads on Sail Life Sunday....he's been working on Athena for something like 4.5 yrs. He must love it to do that much DIY. However, he has sunk a ton of money in that boat he will likely never see again.
He has, but since a boat is something to be consumed, it doesn't really matter.

Is it a North American thing to be concerned about the re-sale of a boat? I don't see it so much on the more european focused boards. It's not an investment.

I wouldn't worry about what a computer or some clothes are going be worth when I'm finished. They being bought to be used (consumed), and enjoyed.

Anyway back on topic, have you seen how his OCD has been relaxing a little now? In the last few episodes there are a number of things he calls not perfect but "good enough" seems the pressure to get back in the water is real.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard