Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 05:14   #886

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
Kika from sailing Uma in a full page B&G commercial in the last Voiles et voiliers (main French sailing magazine) :

Curious to know if they got more than a new VHF for that (that they showed in one of their last vid).
Good for them
I myself don’t follow any channels anymore
All got TOO BORING
Note to YT’ers
There is a reason a “TV “ season is 13 weeks
Also it is my firm belief that most YT followers
of sailing channels never set foot on a SV
and are living vicariously and fork over their
few bucks a week to be part of the Gang and
be “friends” Just read the comments
To me A Bit Sad
Cheers
Neil
Old 21-06-2020, 06:17   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Good for them
All got TOO BORING
Note to YT’ers
To me A Bit Sad
Cheers
Neil
I also watch much less of them but Kika and Dan (sailing Uma) is clearly one that I keep watching : a lot of different aspects, for instance the way they managed to transform the boat, exterior and especially interior on the go with many original ideas is great, the filming and editing is also very good and some interesting technical stuff like the electric engine.
Old 21-06-2020, 06:50   #888

I’m interested to see what happens with the Wynns and the Zatara family. They are both trying to get to Tonga but it’s closed now until September. Then the wynns need to get their boat prepped again that hasn’t been touched in 10 months. So then it’s cyclone season starting up by the time they are back in the water. It’s sort of an interesting plot that I can see their experiences being helpful for us in the future if a similar situation happens again while we are out there.
Old 21-06-2020, 07:28   #889

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Good for them
All got TOO BORING
Note to YT’ers
To me A Bit Sad
Cheers
Neil
Makes some sense. In fact British TV series were traditionally only 6 episodes and mostly 30 mins long.

Youtube episodes are generally shorter though. Many can't stop making videos otherwise they'll have no income. La Vaga would be screwed if they stopped as they have a boat to pay for.

So they have to keep pumping out content. Some good some not. The Wynns are probably hurting a bit. They have no access to their boat for months. They've probably exhausted their previous content too. Presumably they have paid off their boat loan though, so perhaps don't have much financial pressure.

I think where you can easily have an episode a week is when doing a substantial re-fit. Of course actually filming it makes it take twice as long.
Old 21-06-2020, 12:20   #890

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I’m interested to see what happens with the Wynns and the Zatara family. They are both trying to get to Tonga but it’s closed now until September. Then the wynns need to get their boat prepped again that hasn’t been touched in 10 months. So then it’s cyclone season starting up by the time they are back in the water. It’s sort of an interesting plot that I can see their experiences being helpful for us in the future if a similar situation happens again while we are out there.

Wynns are stuck away from their boat and are doing the right thing following the local rules in Fiji. Pure bad luck for them that they couldn’t complete the last 90 minute flight to get back to their boat back in March, I feel really sorry for them. They’d still be stuck in place, but at least they’d be home.

Zatara and a host of other international boats (about 20 in total) cleared out of New Zealand almost two weeks ago, reportedly heading for Fiji. New Zealand was (and still is and will be for the foreseeable future) at level 1 and anyone is able to leave the country, though only New Zealand citizens are allowed to return. What happens in November when the South Pacific cyclone season starts - can they get back in?

But Fiji is closed. Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Australia, Western Samoa, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, and New Zealand are all closed to non citizens and for leisure travel. American Samoa is open for US citizens for resupply only.

These boats all left with the idea that they’d declare an ‘emergency’ and force their way into one of the island countries. There are no legal cruising options for any of those boats.

Alternatively, they could park up at Minerva Reefs. Imagine the environmental degradation and devastation from 20 boats staying at Minerva Reefs for several months.

All of these skippers are idiots, endangering themselves and their crews. And they’re demonstrating to locals that cruisers care only for themselves and are happy to flout the local rules. ‘White privilege’ by wealthy westerners?

We’ve heard the stories coming out of French Polynesia even prior to Covid-19 of the dislike for cruisers. This is now going to extend to the western Pacific Islands too - this group of boats is in the process of making South Pacific cruising more difficult for the rest of us for a generation.

Thanks for nothing you bunch of selfish jerks.

(BTW, I’m in Whangarei right now and the place is packed with international cruisers stuck because borders are closed. Nobody I’ve talked to supports what the outgoing boats have done and there’s quite a bit of anger towards them.)
Old 21-06-2020, 12:54   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Wynns are stuck away from their boat and are doing the right thing following the local rules in Fiji. Pure bad luck for them that they couldn’t complete the last 90 minute flight to get back to their boat back in March, I feel really sorry for them. They’d still be stuck in place, but at least they’d be home.

Zatara and a host of other international boats (about 20 in total) cleared out of New Zealand almost two weeks ago, reportedly heading for Fiji. New Zealand was (and still is and will be for the foreseeable future) at level 1 and anyone is able to leave the country, though only New Zealand citizens are allowed to return. What happens in November when the South Pacific cyclone season starts - can they get back in?

But Fiji is closed. Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Australia, Western Samoa, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, and New Zealand are all closed to non citizens and for leisure travel. American Samoa is open for US citizens for resupply only.

These boats all left with the idea that they’d declare an ‘emergency’ and force their way into one of the island countries. There are no legal cruising options for any of those boats.

Alternatively, they could park up at Minerva Reefs. Imagine the environmental degradation and devastation from 20 boats staying at Minerva Reefs for several months.

All of these skippers are idiots, endangering themselves and their crews. And they’re demonstrating to locals that cruisers care only for themselves and are happy to flout the local rules. ‘White privilege’ by wealthy westerners?

We’ve heard the stories coming out of French Polynesia even prior to Covid-19 of the dislike for cruisers. This is now going to extend to the western Pacific Islands too - this group of boats is in the process of making South Pacific cruising more difficult for the rest of us for a generation.

(BTW, I’m in Whangarei right now and the place is packed with international cruisers stuck because borders are closed. Nobody I’ve talked to supports what the outgoing boats have done and there’s quite a bit of anger towards them.)
Not sure what you are talking about, sounds pretty messed up ..
Old 21-06-2020, 13:54   #892

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Good for them
All got TOO BORING
Note to YT’ers
To me A Bit Sad
Cheers
Neil

I was following a few, but found them a lot of times to be patronizing, so I've stopped watching... Anyone can start a YT channel, whether they know what they're talking about or not. And when they don't know what they're talking about, but are "teaching" me the right way, I shake my head and they're done. Then when you try to help them out with the correct way, they block your comments.
Old 21-06-2020, 14:08   #893

Quote:

I agree with your sentiments, but what are their options? How long will NZ let them stay?

Without looking at the rules, I assume they could put the boats on the hard and eventually fly home....IF they still own a home.

Regardless, flouting the rules with the intent of purposely declaring an emergency is grossly inappropriate and irresponsible. I'm surprised they're doing it.
Old 21-06-2020, 15:14   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I agree with your sentiments, but what are their options? How long will NZ let them stay?

Without looking at the rules, I assume they could put the boats on the hard and eventually fly home....IF they still own a home.

Regardless, flouting the rules with the intent of purposely declaring an emergency is grossly inappropriate and irresponsible. I'm surprised they're doing it.

My understanding is that all cruisers’ entry visas were extended to the end of September 2020, and if closed borders continue past that time then either the visas will be extended again or the people will be required to repatriate to their own countries, similar to what French Polynesia is doing. Their boats are allowed in without import for up to two years, so for most that will be October or November 2021.

In Whangarei there are at least 250 foreign cruising boats, a third in the water and the rest on the hard. About half have people on them, while the rest probably went home for Christmas and couldn’t get back. Much the same in Bay of Islands and marinas in Auckland are full, topped up with boats that would usually be gone for the SoPac cruising season.

Entry into New Zealand May ease for the America’s Cup in March 2021, but I’m not sure if the level 1 alert stays in place how that will work. According to the current rules, only New Zealand citizens and residents can return for non-essential reasons. No inbound leisure travel is permitted.
Old 21-06-2020, 15:23   #895

Vale Patrick Childress of Valiant 40 "Brickhouse". Died of Covid 19 whilst in South Africa. The emotional video posted by his wife is a telling reminder it doesn't always work out the way we want. Good luck to her.
Old 21-06-2020, 17:17   #896

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:

Now did they actually say this, or are just speculating? If they actually came right out and said they know the countries are closed but are going there anyway, they ought to find their vessels impounded.

Why didn't they all just stay in NZ? I'm sure NZ didn't kick them out.
Old 21-06-2020, 22:37   #897

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:

Quote:
My understanding is that all cruisers’ entry visas were extended to the end of September 2020, and if closed borders continue past that time then either the visas will be extended again or the people will be required to repatriate to their own countries, similar to what French Polynesia is doing. Their boats are allowed in without import for up to two years, so for most that will be October or November 2021.

NZ is a reasonable country and isn't going to start throwing people out into the ocean (or into cyclone season) like some other small island nations have done in other parts of the world.

Will there be some inconvenience to cruisers? Sure. But that is part of cruising. You lose some of the (supposed) security and stability of living a normal life on land in your home country. That is your choice, and your burden.

But causing further problems by being selfish and making foolish decisions isn't going to help the situation.

Old 21-06-2020, 22:43   #898

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

To see more of the runaround some cruisers have had to endure in other parts of the world check out the last 5 episodes of Sailing Into Freedom who have been trying to find a safe haven for over 2 months, while running out of food, water, fuel, gas, electricity, etc.

It's pushed them pretty much to breaking point.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SAILINGintoFREEDOM/videos

Part of their situation is self inflicted, and part of it is the result of the ridiculous bureaucracy in some countries.

Old 21-06-2020, 23:36   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Now did they actually say this, or are just speculating? If they actually came right out and said they know the countries are closed but are going there anyway, they ought to find their vessels impounded.

Why didn't they all just stay in NZ? I'm sure NZ didn't kick them out.

NZ did not kick anyone out. They all left of their own volition. Sailing Zatara mentioned several times in recent videos that they’re sick of NZ’s cold fall weather and didn’t want to spend the winter here.

It will certainly be interesting to hear the results of the voyagers. Haven’t seen any news items yet.
Old 22-06-2020, 00:13   #900

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
NZ did not kick anyone out. They all left of their own volition. Sailing Zatara mentioned several times in recent videos that they’re sick of NZ’s cold fall weather and didn’t want to spend the winter here.

It will certainly be interesting to hear the results of the voyagers. Haven’t seen any news items yet.
they are in lots of mess. This is actually expected for times of plague. Will get worse. Probably underestimated and harder to keep up with news out there but to me it was clear in mid jan that this will turn really bad and we started isolation. Things started closing in mid march, this is 2 months, enough time, to position strategically to be able to hide in place of choice even in mid pacific. These guys had enough time, to avoid the worst, ignored warnings, but now their destiny is iffy.

Same things happened back in EU in times of plague. Once exited village, for whatever reason, could not return at all and perished in chaos.

Be very careful with any travel - may be last one to hell
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard