Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 04:35   #766

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Agree about being a slave to anything that points and shoots.

There are times when I simply want to absorb my surroundings in a field independant sort of way.

When carrying a spear gun or a camera .....your mind is more on focus and capture rather the than subtle impressions and aura of your surroundings.

For me it was the opposite. I took up photography as a hobby to slow me down and take a closer look at the world.
Old 22-05-2020, 13:47   #767

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
For me it was the opposite. I took up photography as a hobby to slow me down and take a closer look at the world.

Ask almost anyone who is taking a photo/video or is the subject of a photo/video - much of your consciousness is now focussed on the camera and the shoot, and goes away from everything else. You miss the actual experience and replace it with a photo experience. Not necessarily bad, but real.

I’m going off of all the lifestyle and travel channels, but do enjoy the crazy Norwegian in NBJS https://m.youtube.com/user/kjolevann...able_polymer=1 and the Swedish skiing sailor Alluring Arctic https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCDpg-x8jI4T5Kk4h2jE00mQ
Old 22-05-2020, 20:46   #768

Cruising destinations with a purpose is VET TAILS' SAILING CHUFFED.
Currently in Port Chiapas Mexico, Australian veterinarian along with partner is fixing the boat while fixing up the street dogs and other animals in amazing conditions. Very capable girl! Well worth following!

"THE GREATNESS OF A NATION CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY IT'S ANIMALS ARE TREATED" - GHANDI
Old 23-05-2020, 10:20   #769

ive just been watching " sailing yacht Florence " , they are obviously quite switched on with regard to financing their trip through you tube , they have just been given a free set of sails , main , stay sail and a symmetrical spinney from Rolly Tasker sail loft

I don't know how much a new set would cost to the manufacturer , but it must be worth it for the Advertising/marketing that they recieve
Old 23-05-2020, 10:36   #770

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

You can subscribe to us if you like, and I might actually make some more, properly edited videos at some point, although we can't even afford a knock-off go-pro right now, just phone camera.
I am an experienced sailmaker, amoung other things, and we doing everything on an extremely limited budget, because we are cruising, renovating the ship, and looking after our baby daughter at the same time, so I have to find creative solutions to problems that most people would just throw money at. Additionally there is a lack of supplies where we are right now. I plan to do some simple tutorial style videos on numerous subjects at some point.
YouTube doesn't pay you until you get 1000 subscribers, so even if you're not interested, subscribing will help a lot in the long run, as right now I can't afford to waste my time making videos for free.
Link below
Old 23-05-2020, 12:19   #771

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
You can subscribe to us if you like, and I might actually make some more, properly edited videos at some point, although we can't even afford a knock-off go-pro right now, just phone camera.
I am an experienced sailmaker, amoung other things, and we doing everything on an extremely limited budget, because we are cruising, renovating the ship, and looking after our baby daughter at the same time, so I have to find creative solutions to problems that most people would just throw money at. Additionally there is a lack of supplies where we are right now. I plan to do some simple tutorial style videos on numerous subjects at some point.
YouTube doesn't pay you until you get 1000 subscribers, so even if you're not interested, subscribing will help a lot in the long run, as right now I can't afford to waste my time making videos for free.
Link below

Subscribed! First time I've ever been motivated to subscribe due to someone's call to action. Well done Sir. Well done. Not sure I will watch but just wanted to help you get to 1000. Good luck with it all.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:36   #772

Thumbs up Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Subscribed! First time I've ever been motivated to subscribe due to someone's call to action. Well done Sir. Well done. Not sure I will watch but just wanted to help you get to 1000. Good luck with it all.
Cheers!
I am hoping to get something out there soon. My gf and daughter have been forced to return to Poland for work due to the lack of tourists here, and my work freelance writing has suffered due to the current crisis too. I think there will be a basic sail repair tutorial coming soon, as I can put that together with a few photos and some narration.
(Sorry there aren't extra parts to the first two parts of my solo voyage from Canary Islands to Cape Verde without autopilot (hand-steering 12hrs a day, then hove-to to sleep, for 17 days) as my crappy chinese phone died before I could upload them.)
Old 23-05-2020, 12:49   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Cheers!
I am hoping to get something out there soon. My gf and daughter have been forced to return to Poland for work due to the lack of tourists here, and my work freelance writing has suffered due to the current crisis too. I think there will be a basic sail repair tutorial coming soon, as I can put that together with a few photos and some narration.
(Sorry there aren't extra parts to the first two parts of my solo voyage from Canary Islands to Cape Verde without autopilot (hand-steering 12hrs a day, then hove to to sleep, for 17 days) as my crappy chinese phone died before I could upload them.)

Apologies in advance for the thread drift....I should look fro or start a new one on a subject you have brought up that fascinates me.

I'll start with a question. Do not let it imply judgement. Would you heave to and be able to sleep with your GF and daughter on board?

I used to own a good size sport fisher sedan with fly and twin screws. I was able to sleep on a mooring but I could not ever sleep at anchor, even with a gps alarm set up. Gosh I'm going way off subject here. Apologies to the OP and fellow threadmates! I'm a big beleiver in 5:1 and had tons of heavy chain on an oversized anchor. Grew up boating and anchoring. I could never sleep at anchor. I always saw myself drifting into the rocks or someone else or (fill in the blank). Having said that, if you are out on the open ocean and hove to, there is less to worry about. Is that right? Cheers!
Old 23-05-2020, 13:13   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Apologies in advance for the thread drift....I should look fro or start a new one on a subject you have brought up that fascinates me.

I'll start with a question. Do not let it imply judgement. Would you heave to and be able to sleep with your GF and daughter on board?
It's cool the thread is 52 pages long, no-one will notice
Besides, I have 17 subscribers now, so I am a "youtube star", just a really tiny one :P
And yes, I definitely would, if it was needed, but the gf isn't comfortable going to sea with our daughter being only 1.5 years old, and she not being an experienced sailor. If it were up to me, we would sail without stopping in shifts, looking after the baby and sailing as needed - essentially that would mean she would hand steer when the baby was asleep (and I would take that chance to cook and sleep), and I would take the helm the rest of the time.
Although hopefully we won't have to do that in future, I have already designed an auxiliary rudder and flettner wind vane pilot, and will (finiances allowing - $600 i estimate) be building that before my next passage.
I will make a video of the build, even if that video is just photos, drawings and narration.

Anyway, to get back to the subject, yes, land is always more scary to me than the sea. I like to use 7:1 scope, and a stern anchor too if it is suitable for the situation. I have a relatively monstrous 22kg anchor that I use if I plan to be anchored for more than a day.
Old 23-05-2020, 13:33   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
ive just been watching " sailing yacht Florence " , they are obviously quite switched on with regard to financing their trip through you tube , they have just been given a free set of sails , main , stay sail and a symmetrical spinney from Rolly Tasker sail loft

I don't know how much a new set would cost to the manufacturer , but it must be worth it for the Advertising/marketing that they recieve
I see it a lot where they start out really good and when they do mention something, it's seems to honestly be something they like.

Then at some point they get enough followers and figure out they can monetize the channel and you can see a gradual sift to where it becomes mostly a commercial and if you have some familiarity, you see them outright giving bad advice, so that it pushes product.

We follow an RV one like that and recently they had the nerve to claim you can buy new every year and not lose anything to depreciation if you do a good job buying and selling. Of course every time they get a new rig, it immediately generates new videos of them outfitting with new gear. They stay really vague on how the upgrades are paid for but reading between the lines, it's pretty obvious, they buy say a $50k trailer, dump $15-20k of upgrades into it...and then if it sells for $50k, they say they had no depreciation.

In some ways, it's kind of funny but then you read the comments and people appear to believe they are just average joes doing this on their dime...it's kind of scary.
Old 23-05-2020, 13:48   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I see it a lot where they start out really good and when they do mention something, it's seems to honestly be something they like.

Then at some point they get enough followers and figure out they can monetize the channel and you can see a gradual sift to where it becomes mostly a commercial and if you have some familiarity, you see them outright giving bad advice, so that it pushes product.

We follow an RV one like that and recently they had the nerve to claim you can buy new every year and not lose anything to depreciation if you do a good job buying and selling. Of course every time they get a new rig, it immediately generates new videos of them outfitting with new gear. They stay really vague on how the upgrades are paid for but reading between the lines, it's pretty obvious, they buy say a $50k trailer, dump $15-20k of upgrades into it...and then if it sells for $50k, they say they had no depreciation.

In some ways, it's kind of funny but then you read the comments and people appear to believe they are just average joes doing this on their dime...it's kind of scary.
These kind of view based channels are a big turn off for me. What I want to see is them making, fixing and doing stuff with their ship, not tourist stuff that rakes in the non-sailing viewers. The former is my plan for our channel, so I guess I will stay poor
Old 23-05-2020, 13:56   #777

Boat: Outremer 55L

Keith from Sailing Zatara recently said, in a response to a viewer question about the upgrades they did in NZ, that the upgrades were paid for by the respective companies as Sailing Zatara is a marketing channel. The formula is:
1) video where the new product is researched and decided upon
2) video of the order process
3) unboxing video
4) install video
5) first time usage video
6) constant references to product in future videos

Now I see this formula in many channels and each time I recognise it I unsubscribe.

At least SZ is open about it. In response to another question about satellite internet, Keith mentioned that he doesn’t want to pay for upgrades and as a few other successful channels have recently installed it, presumably the systems are available at a deep discount from the respective manufacturers for social media marketing. Keith baldly said we haven’t been offered a satellite system yet but would certainly offer the manufacturer lots of exposure through additional live SZ content.

I’m not going to stick around to see whether they get a satellite internet system.

The problem is, just as it is with all other social media influencers, how can you trust any of their content?
Old 23-05-2020, 14:03   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Keith from Sailing Zatara recently said, in a response to a viewer question about the upgrades they did in NZ, that the upgrades were paid for by the respective companies as Sailing Zatara is a marketing channel. The formula is:
3) unboxing video
4) install video

Now I see this formula in many channels and each time I recognise it I unsubscribe.

At least SZ is open about it. In response to another question about satellite internet, Keith mentioned that he doesn’t want to pay for upgrades and as a few other successful channels have recently installed it, presumably the systems are available at a deep discount from the respective manufacturers for social media marketing. Keith baldly said we haven’t been offered a satellite system yet but would certainly offer the manufacturer lots of exposure through additional live SZ content.

I’m not going to stick around to see whether they get a satellite internet system.

The problem is, just as it is with all other social media influencers, how can you trust any of their content?
At least they are honest about it, but I couldn't respect myself if I did such a thing. Living on a shoestring has taught me so much, that I don't think I could ever move away from building everything myself. The only sponsorship I might ever consider would be for tools to make other things, especially cordless tools, and a welder + generator would be great. But I am still not sure I could live with myself unless I was completely honest with my viewers about the fact that it was sponsored, and even then I would feel a bit dirty.
Old 23-05-2020, 15:31   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
3) unboxing video
4) install video

You absolutely should not trust ANY content whether on youtube, FB, instagram, TV, your neighbor, etc..

If these shows only drew "the non sailing crowd" it would be pretty foolish to send free products to these ENTERTAINERS. That's what they are.

Would a "real sailing crowd" member run out an buy a product because Keith features it on his show? If so then I would really worry about "the real sailing crowd".

I bet it does happen now and then but more likely, when Keith's viewers go to research, contrast and compare various offerings in a class of items they wish to purchase, they will consider Keith's model due to name recognition and prior exposure, by Keith.

I don't think Keith is loosing any sleep about that. Keith's kids entertain my son. When my son grows up and decides to buy a piece of equipment, there will no doubt be brand recognition from his time watching Keith. My son is intelligent. He will research all options and base his decision on whatever metrics he is utilizing.

Besides, that opening song just makes you happy.

You know you want a free radar...

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 23-05-2020, 16:00   #780
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

5:1 scope is a lunch hook. Absolute minimum in a very protected anchorage in good weather. 10:1 is more like it, if at all possible, or as close as practicable. Be sure to start from the right number for true depth in the scope equation.

Add freeboard, maximum foreseeable burial depth of the anchor, maximum tide, maximum foreseeable wave height, and finally any wind sayche or storm surge expected.

Just using the MLLW number on the chart or the number on the depth sounder when you pull in will almost always be way too low, and scope will be much lower than calculated.

At 10:1 at worst case high-high water you will sleep soundly or feel OK ashore at the pub or grocery store when a freak storm blows up when you are away and your boat has to fend for herself out there.

But if you think 5:1 is Okay, it's your boat.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard