Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2019, 02:54   #676
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I recently watched a new channel by a pretty resourceful, young French dude called. ... wait for it ... The Sailing Frenchman

He refurbished a pocket cruiser and sailed it across the Atlantic to the Caribbean. Well worth a look.
Old 25-01-2019, 01:14   #677

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Some newbees stumble into their sailing adventure...
Old 09-02-2019, 08:58   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

Some newbees stumble into their sailing adventure...
he is quite watchable. a lot better than most..
Old 09-02-2019, 12:35   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
he is quite watchable. a lot better than most..

I watched his first episode. He's entertaining, I'll grant you that, but his math doesn't work. Where is he getting the cash to pay his expenses?

I just know that when I do stuff like take scuba lessons, take sailing lessons, buy boats, keep boats, fix boats, and eat, it costs money.
Old 09-02-2019, 13:51   #680

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I watched his first episode. He's entertaining, I'll grant you that, but his math doesn't work. Where is he getting the cash to pay his expenses?

I just know that when I do stuff like take scuba lessons, take sailing lessons, buy boats, keep boats, fix boats, and eat, it costs money.
He was a YouTube star before getting the boat. Makes over 100k a year.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 10-02-2019, 07:42   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Just like Gone with the Wynns that switched from land to sea. They had a huge RV following.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07   #682

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy View Post
Just like Gone with the Wynns that switched from land to sea. They had a huge RV following.
They had a big following and made some money but not nearly enough. IIRC Jason was still taking projects from time to time, and it came to buying the boat, they basically couldn't afford it, and had take on a loan.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:11   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
They had a big following and made some money but not nearly enough. IIRC Jason was still taking projects from time to time, and it came to buying the boat, they basically couldn't afford it, and had take on a loan.
Yes it's explained in their videos. They bought much more boat than they could afford.

To be honest it's a gigantic boat for a couple
Old 10-02-2019, 08:44   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

Oh, well that certainly explains how you can sail around the Mediterranean on a $10,000 boat.

lol
Old 12-02-2019, 13:22   #685
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy View Post
Yes it's explained in their videos. They bought much more boat than they could afford.

To be honest it's a gigantic boat for a couple
The Wynns still have too much boat for a couple. I saw last year that they had started taking on crew here and there, maybe not just for the funds but perhaps simply for more experienced hands on deck to run that huge catabeast, especially on passages.

I quit watching them a couple of years ago because I got sick of their constant clueless newbie errors and beyond-stereotyical millenial arrogance whenever anyone knowledgeable tried to help point them in a more sane direction. It started right off with buying WAY more boat than they could handle both physically and financially (considering they hadn't even learned basic sailing skills yet at that point) and continuing on with unsafe and and unwise practices.

Hopefully they have learned enough by now to continue staying out of the news in a bad way.
Old 12-02-2019, 13:33   #686

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Too much boat? It's only a Leopard 42 which is easily handled by a couple. I think the Wynn's have done better at learning than most and made very few mistakes compared to others.They have learned a lot in a short time.

Their obsession with perfect hair, clothing and food is irritating though. Little uptight.
Old 12-02-2019, 16:11   #687
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The Wynns seem to be athletic but maybe not overly strong, and seems they have no problem handling their cat.
They were once newbies but have now travelled from Florida to the South Pacific......I’m gonna call them pretty experienced.
Old 12-02-2019, 23:52   #688

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Yes, they are constantly learning, and they made the pacific passage alone, no crew. They took crew on their first passages, but quickly found out it is too much fuss to educate and entertain people while cruising and filming. They used the crew thing to boost patreon membership, but seems it was not worth it?

They have done many things right, like having their sailing lessons on the own gear.

They have some family visiting, but most of the time they cruise alone. Wasn't it a 43ft Leopard? Anway, not too big for two. The setup with mast winches is not very singlehanded friendly, but it is a great vessel.
Old 13-02-2019, 03:12   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The Wynns still have too much boat for a couple. I saw last year that they had started taking on crew here and there, maybe not just for the funds but perhaps simply for more experienced hands on deck to run that huge catabeast, especially on passages.

I quit watching them a couple of years ago because I got sick of their constant clueless newbie errors and beyond-stereotyical millenial arrogance whenever anyone knowledgeable tried to help point them in a more sane direction. It started right off with buying WAY more boat than they could handle both physically and financially (considering they hadn't even learned basic sailing skills yet at that point) and continuing on with unsafe and and unwise practices.

Hopefully they have learned enough by now to continue staying out of the news in a bad way.
OMG,, what a know all !! obviously you have not watched in a long time,, they have now sailed half way accross the pacific , mostly on their own,,, or would you just pass it all off as " beginers luck " !!
Old 13-02-2019, 03:26   #690

I've no doubt the Wynns are very competent, especially with all the sea miles under their belt.

I stopped watching them for other reasons - They seemed to be on "happy pills" all the time - always smiling, always happy. We all know cruising isn't like that and along with grating voices, it just did my head in. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy!
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard